Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hate for Obama

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

More like generally glum and depressing.

"Kids, if you think your life sucks, it probably does. But here's what you could achieve anyway"

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well, its still better than what most people will try to tell underpriveledged kids: "The system owes you for something that happened to your grandpappy and you dont take **** from nobody"

I really am not sure if opposition is trying to say the message is communist (and those who are are probably gravely misinformed) but certainly I could see the rationale for thinking the President being streamed into every classroom in the country might feel a bit... odd.

But please before you respond, less of the partisanship. Less of the Right wing this left wing whacko that. Or ill get myself banned for smacking you left and right of this forum for feeding the Troll known formerly as the 2 party system. No more Party of No bull****. No more conspiracy theories. both are doing my head in. Everyone on here who has staked their side one way or the other is just as culpable as the other.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Overheal wrote: »
    well, its still better than what most people will try to tell underpriveledged kids: "The system owes you for something that happened to your grandpappy and you dont take **** from nobody"

I really am not sure if opposition is trying to say the message is communist (and those who are are probably gravely misinformed) but certainly I could see the rationale for thinking the President being streamed into every classroom in the country might feel a bit... odd.

Well in fairness they were referring to Obama building a cult of personality. Personally I think his reason for doing this was honestly to act as a role model of what marginalised members of society can achieve when they work hard. Lets not forget he is the first black president and as such a pretty good role model for working hard. Black people in particular are one of the most marginalised people in America underperforming Whites and Asians in school exams so I think its a pretty positive and genuine move.
    But please before you respond, less of the partisanship. Less of the Right wing this left wing whacko that. Or ill get myself banned for smacking you left and right of this forum for feeding the Troll known formerly as the 2 party system. No more Party of No bull****. No more conspiracy theories. both are doing my head in. Everyone on here who has staked their side one way or the other is just as culpable as the other.

/rant

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

He he..

090509coletoon.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_09/019815.php
    OBAMA TO PRESS STUDENTS ON PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.... The irony is, if our political discourse was mature and functioned as it should, President Obama's speech to school kids today would probably be an afterthought. The remarks would have likely garnered a few paragraphs in an AP story, and maybe 30 seconds on the evening news.

But that's not American politics in 2009, and the decision of the president to encourage young people to do well in school is grounds for a national "controversy," due entirely to the fact that conservatives' threshold for hysteria has become comically low.

I think this is the nub of the issue. Obama culd cure cancer and he would still get $hit from sections of the right. As I said the right needs to pick its battles, if it just gets angry at everything then they are doing themselves no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Think about it. Obama is trying to push through a groundbreaking innovation in American politics. Roosevelt encountered even worse hatred when he started the New Deal (and he had an enormous democratic mandate) as did Lyndon Johnson who ended legal segregation of the races in America.

If Obama succeeds, in years to come everyone will look back on him fondly and forget those who were howling for his head.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The Govt can or should only do so much. At the end of the day the only ones responsible for our quality of life is Ourselves.
    Pure ideological nonsense. If you own a car or house, does it contribute to your quality of life? Did you make them yourself? If yes, you may be justified in the above statement, but if not, it is as I said, thoughtless ideological anti-civilisation claptrap.
    /pulls out paystub

"Gross Pay"...."Social Security"....."Medicare"....."Fed Tax"..."State Tax"....nnnn-WAIT-.....no. No "Two Foreign Wars" deduct from my paycheque.

That's because the wars are free!
    Nobody has yet to raise my taxes for the purposes of fighting a war.

That would be because the war money was borrowed from China. It's quite possible that the health system could also be paid for by borrowed money, though in neither case would this be sustainable.

He is a servant of the People. All of the People. We tell him [and every other politician] what to do. They don't tell us.

That assumes consensus is possible. In this case the Republican 47% are showing no signs whatsoever of any interest in consensus. The only alternative is for the Democrat 53% to tell you lot what to do.

BTW I am still puzzled about how this will affect a man in Kilkenny. Unless it's Kilkenny, Ohio or something.
    How cute of you to dodge every other point. :rolleyes:
    You would never do that. :pac:

get this man a stool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Húrin wrote: »
    Think about it. Obama is trying to push through a groundbreaking innovation in American politics. Roosevelt encountered even worse hatred when he started the New Deal (and he had an enormous democratic mandate) as did Lyndon Johnson who ended legal segregation of the races in America.
    Good point that summarizes one side of the debate on this thread.
    Húrin wrote: »
    That assumes consensus is possible. In this case the Republican 47% are showing no signs whatsoever of any interest in consensus. The only alternative is for the Democrat 53% to tell you lot what to do.
    Not sure what "Republican 47%" you are referring to? Clarify?

If you are referring to the November 2008 presidential election results of the number of voters that voted for Obama (53%) and McCain (46%), this McCain 46% (or your "47%") were not all "Republicans," but those that voted for McCain from all parties, including Democrats, Republicans, other parties, and Independents. This is an important distinction to make, because your consensus statement seems to imply that those that voted for McCain were "Republicans" or favour the "Republican" agenda of today?

To assume that those that voted for McCain "are showing no signs whatsoever of any interest in consensus" is problematic for several reasons:
    • McCain is not the undisputed leader of the Republican party today, and those of mixed parties and independents that voted for him last November 2008 are not necessarily together in terms of a consensus today?
    • Republican party registered voters for the 2008 presidential election represented only 32.5% of registered voters (55 million/169 million=32.5%), not "Republican 47%." This makes you wonder why only 32.5% registered Republican, and not the "Republican 47%" you cite, if they were all together on the "Republican" agenda?
    • The numbers of votes (and percentages) that Obama or McCain may receive if the election were held today, and not months ago in November 2008, may dramatically change one way or the other, thereby referring to a "Republican 47%" vote for McCain somewhat meaningless today?

Now, if your "Republican 47%" was not a reference to the voters of mixed parties and Independents that voted for McCain last November, can you please clarify?

Sources:
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_registered_voters_in_the_2008_Presidential_election

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Odd how all the fuss the lunatics on the Right kicked-up about Obama speaking to school kids has died down to not even a whisper.
    They certainly make USA look ridiculous.

as an aside: tbh, id rather have ridiculous uproar than ridiculous silence. and thats all i hear out of ireland these days with lots of people voting FF defacto and all that BS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Odd how all the fuss the lunatics on the Right kicked-up about Obama speaking to school kids has died down to not even a whisper.
    Google search:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 42,100,000 for Obama school speech. (0.16 seconds)

That was some WHISPER!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the kitchen, we have the wackiest critique of the speech yet. :p

Obama is anti future troops
    http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NmFiZWM2NjhkNGE1YWI0ZWJhN2ZmY2U5NDc3NGY1NmM=

Mind you, we may already have another furor waiting in the wings.
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-07/13/content_8422505.htm

Google search:

vs. 197m hits for Obama - so this school speech is very popular!

even beating out Pie. that bastard. and Michael Jackson by 1 million hits.

Cat still beats them all combined with 694m hits.

/google hits: prove nothing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

The Speech.

Warning if you watch the vid below you will turn into a communist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO--88uajyA

Obama: "What you're learning in school today will determine whether we as a nation can meet our greatest challenges in the future."

Does this mean I cannot sleep through lecture later today?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

/rant

<<Overheal>> It's okay. Breathe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Google search:

And they are all Right wing lunatics?
    My, they've multiplied!

RedPlanet wrote: »
    And they are all Right wing lunatics?
    My, they've multiplied!
    Not sure if they have wings, although they may have flown the way of the bird and swine flu pandemics, and are now forgotten.

• Advertisement

<<Overheal>> It's okay. Breathe. :)
    I accept your apology, dont let it happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Obama spoke tonight about healthcare and even found time to compliment former running mate John McCain. He did a good job by all accounts. I personally have suffered by high family health insurance premiums and i welcome any plan that will provide more choice and lower costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A good speech indeed but one which adds to the belief in some quarters that he's good on speeches and perhaps not quite as effective in actions. It's all well and good exhorting Congress to do the right thing, but they are hardened politicians and while the speech might inspire them to applaud, there is no guarantee that they will do as they are asked/told. They also represent people who don't have much interest in Obama, oppose him or just don't like some of his policies. If they don't pass his plan he really can't go and blame them as it is his place to lead. A tough road ahead and one that might end up defining the success of his presidency.

I accept your apology, dont let it happen again

I didn't apologize. This is a thread about the hate for Obama. That emanates almost exclusively from the far right of the Republican Party. It is a partisan topic. If it upsets you then don't read this thread -- start a new one about examples of heartwarming bipartisanship.

And really, who died and made you mod?

Hagar?

I voted for him and I still don't like him. That doesnt make me a Rightie.

Anyway don't patronize me.
    <<Overheal>> It's okay. Breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Yeah, I think I'll keep my gender to myself. It shouldn't make a difference to how my posts are received, but it might.

It makes a enormous difference sadly. I always advise women to chose a gender neutral name for the internet. Female names attract mountains of abuse. That's not just anecdotal (it's a common experience on p.ie for example). It's backed up by plenty of studies. One by Maryland University found female names attracted 25 times the amount of abuse that gender neutral or male names attracted.

galwaydude wrote: »
    Obama spoke tonight about healthcare and even found time to compliment former running mate John McCain. He did a good job by all accounts. I personally have suffered by high family health insurance premiums and i welcome any plan that will provide more choice and lower costs.

A video of the speech highlights is to be found here.
    http://www.politico.com/largevideobox.html?id=38369299001

Do you hate him? Here's the OP below, if this describes your feelings toward Obama then let's hear it. I'd be interested to hear how you moved from supporting him in the election less than a year ago to hating him now.

Or if you know of examples of visceral hatred coming from his own party then please point to them -- that'd be interesting. But as far as I know the hate is partisan -- the far left is disappointed in him, angry even, but that's a topic worthy of its own thread.
    jonny72 wrote: »
    Browsing the news and reading comments has become a worrying affair recently, I mean I found it a little amusing at first, then a tad surprising, now its just downright scary. The comments from the anti-Obama crowd seem to be one part fair critique 10 parts sheer hatred for the man.

I cannot imagine truly believing that every news source in the world has a liberal agenda/bias with the exception one certain news outlet.. it beggers belief how twisted that kind of logic is.. I suppose you have to laugh it off but its scary how many times that one line is repeated in comment after comment mixed in with this communist/social paranoia and just pure KKK style hate.

These people need to take a holiday to Sweden.

Overheal added:
    Anyway don't patronize me.

EDIT: I wasn't patronizing you, that was a joking response to your labelling your post a "rant" -- and I added the smiley to make that clear. Damned internets. Sorry I offended you.

Did I say Hate? No. I did not. I am simply Nay. He can do better. And both sides of the aisle have allowed us once again to sit pretty much on the brink of Civil-Civil War. Thats why I hate you all right now insert_smiley_face.

As President I hold the man responsible at least in part for being The Moderator. As of yet he is very ineffective at this. People are ripping eachother apart over what is frankly the president's own agenda. Nothing wrong with the president having an agenda (every president has had their own ideas for the country, its expected), but if trying to introduce it the way he has all summer has brought us to this point - he has so far failed. This country and its people are now more split, upset and angry at eachother than it ever was even under Bush - and I actually Hated that guy.

You can fill in the rest for yourself. If he doesnt make good on turning conflict into collaboration, I won't be voting for him again.

• Advertisement

Did I say Hate? No. I did not. I am simply Nay. He can do better. And both sides of the aisle have allowed us once again to sit pretty much on the brink of Civil-Civil War. Thats why I hate you all right now insert_smiley_face.

As President I hold the man responsible at least in part for being The Moderator. As of yet he is very ineffective at this. People are ripping eachother apart over what is frankly the president's own agenda. Nothing wrong with the president having an agenda (every president has had their own ideas for the country, its expected), but if trying to introduce it the way he has all summer has brought us to this point - he has so far failed. This country and its people are now more split, upset and angry at eachother than it ever was even under Bush - and I actually Hated that guy.

You can fill in the rest for yourself. If he doesnt make good on turning conflict into collaboration, I won't be voting for him again.

Collaboration is impossible with the current GOP. People like Joe Wilson in your state are not amenable to reason. He needs to ignore the GOP and get on with implementing his election platform.

Advertisement