Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE (Lack of..) Election Coverage

Options
  • 06-06-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭

I am a bit peeed off with the lack of coverage on RTE this evening. I was looking forward to a good long evening of catching up on the elections.

We just had a cuple of hours from 4 to after 6, and something like 10 mins extra news!! I wanted to relish FF's beating :D

Is it budget cutbacks or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if you take the P.ie view of the world, RTE are in the grip of FF and they daren't spend hours covering thier 'masters' failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's Local politics, no one is paying attention. There'll be more coverage tomorrow for the European Elections.

Personally I'm pissed off at the lack of coverage today, I like Politics, and elections and would have happily spent my Saturday glued to the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mike65 wrote: »
    Well if you take the P.ie view of the world, RTE are in the grip of FF and they daren't spend hours covering thier 'masters' failure.

The same thought had crossed my mind...censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

As George Lee said to Bryan Dobson today , he was restrained for 17 years ( in speaking his mind ) when working in RTE and that is why he has now changed sides .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was an amusing comment, he could write an interesting book about his time in RTE I suspect. nesf is more likely to be right though, the fact that the local and the Euro counts are seperated undermined any chance of a wall to wall coverage on RTE as they have other stuff they can do. Newstalk could happily clear the decks and look good doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They had a lot of coverage on Radio 1 today as well. The good stuff starts tomorrow when they start getting more results and not just rough tallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its a disgrace but no surprise. RTE have not been objective at all with regard to recent Fianna Fail governments. Just look at the Weeping Bertie "interview" by Brian Dobson. A good impartial interviewer would have nailed Ahern. Dobson allowed him to do a PR piece that allowed the tainted one stay in power longer.

The government are not the only thing that needs a clear out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Berti Aherne is the biggest wanker in this country completely i cannot stand him!! He believes his own BS He created the boom BS again !! I'd wish he would do us a favour and drowne in his own BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gcgirl wrote: »
    Berti Aherne is the biggest wanker in this country completely i cannot stand him!! He believes his own BS He cracted the boom BS again !! I'd wish he would do us a favour and drowne in his own BS!

His brother got his answer today. The Ahern "dynasty" is a dead duck now.
    Sure the boom was getting boomer only a couple of years ago according to economist Bertie and those that doubted him should have killed themselves...though he was probably really wishing they had today :D
    Looking forward to George Lee wiping the floor with FF on the economy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The main TV event will be on tomorrow with the Euros. Tonight you gotta use the local radio & blogs, RTE can't cover every election count, even their website & twitter is way behind with some of the count info. They've all gone home in RTE HQ for the night i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I have had newstalk on all day, excellent coverage.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Internet and radio together beat the slower media of TV and Press. I've spent all day dipping in and out of this forum.

DeV.

ps: Otherwise how would I have enjoyed the two lovely ladies entertaining Berlusconi at home... now *thats* a corrupt politician I can take my hat off too... *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

TV3 had a two hour Vincent Browne hosted special with a few different candidates on. Yer man Noel Dempsey was on, someone from Sinn Fein, Joe Higgins and others I can't remember. It started at about 5 I think

RTE had a live in studio thing from around 3 or 4. I think it was just to cover George Lee's victory.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was at the county for Waterford City and Tramore T.C. so I posted up the results as they came through (I had someone reporting back to me at counts I wasnt at) on the local forums. Better coverage then anyone tbh.

Advertisement