Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM PHONE WATCH

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Pablod wrote: »
    crap, I've already been onto them, just waiting on a reply,
    Thanks for the head's up guys

How did you get on with phone watch ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

PW use the 'two free visits' as a sales pitch, to make you think your getting value for the money you are handing over.
    The reality is, you don't see them unless you ring up and request a visit. Alternatively, you can keep 'reserve' of the two free visits, until you have a fault - that way, you will escape the call-out fee;).

They won't let you roll-over visits into next year though!:mad:

screwlox wrote: »
    PW use the 'two free visits' as a sales pitch, to make you think your getting value for the money you are handing over.
    The reality is, you don't see them unless you ring up and request a visit. Alternatively, you can keep 'reserve' of the two free visits, until you have a fault - that way, you will escape the call-out fee;).

They won't let you roll-over visits into next year though!:mad:

people who get a system installed by phonewatch should use these visits once after 6 months and the other just before the system is about to go into its next service year. they are payed for by the customer but its up to the customer to arrange them :rolleyes: thats why people never use them, they are not told anything about them until phonewatch want money off them for the next service year.. not fair on the customer but phonewatch has it covered in there contract..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do they tell you that the system ceases to conform to EN50131 if you go more than a year without a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

koolkid wrote: »
    Do they tell you that the system ceases to conform to EN50131 if you go more than a year without a visit?

People don't realise that their alarm isn't up to standard if it isn't serviced by a registered alarm company every year. This can be a problem for some insurance policies where it states that the alarm must conform to the relevant standards and not only when first installed but all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

People don't realise that their alarm isn't up to standard if it isn't serviced by a registered alarm company every year.

+ 1
    I guess you mean EN50131.
    Some people with suitable alarms do not avail of the discount available because forgetting to arm the alarm can invalidate the insurance policy.
    If the alarm fails to meet EN50131 it may also make the insurance null and void.
    Be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

koolkid wrote: »

Never heard anything about this from either PhoneWatch or the insurance company nor was aware of this. - is this related to specific insurance companies?
    altor wrote: »
    How did you get on with phone watch ?

Finally heard back from PhoneWatch, after getting in touch with them 3 weeks ago !!
    My system is being monitored but is out of warranty, snippet from the letter as follows:
    as part of your contract your monitoring will continue until **** ******* 2010, however the warranty on your system has expired.
    If you wish to extend your warranty, you can now avail of the Service Plus monitoring option. This extended warranty service offers you free service visits during normal buisiness hours and this also covers battery, control panel and parts replacement due to the normal wear and tear, as a Service Plus Customer your fee is only an additional €13 per month.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Never heard anything about this from either PhoneWatch or the insurance company nor was aware of this
    Koolkid is correct on this.
    is this related to specific insurance companies?
    No, it is related to the EN50131 standard itself.

I think you will find that the money you save with the insurance discount is less than what the service contract will cost you.

Never heard anything about this from either PhoneWatch or the insurance company nor was aware of this. - is this related to specific insurance companies:

yes it is, there is a list of insurance companys that give a special discount if you get a phonewatch system installed. all monitored companys should have something in there contract about you getting your alarm serviced at lease once a year..

yes it is, there is a list of insurance companys that give a special discount if you get a phonewatch system installed. all monitored companys should have something in there contract about you getting your alarm serviced at lease once a year..

When I called my Insurance company (one of the popular banks) 2 years ago and told them I had just installed Eircom Phonewatch, they gave me an approx 15-20% discount straight away. No questsions asked and they did not request any verification or confirmation. ?:confused:

• Advertisement

as part of your contract your monitoring will continue until **** ******* 2010, however the warranty on your system has expired.
    If you wish to extend your warranty, you can now avail of the Service Plus monitoring option. This extended warranty service offers you free service visits during normal buisiness hours and this also covers battery, control panel and parts replacement due to the normal wear and tear, as a Service Plus Customer your fee is only an additional €13 per month.

this is a good option if your alarm cost you alot of money. they charge €10 per battery replacement plus the call out charge €85 and vat without service plus.. i would only advise this to people who have alot of sensors or have a concord panel as this panel costs €1000 alone to replace.. the batterys usually last 5 years so you can work it out for yourself if it worth it for you. i would strongly recommend to people with a phonewatch system to make sure they use there service that they are entitled to when they get there system installed as this can find any faults that may be on there system after the install. as i said you are entitled to them but it is up to you the customer to arrange them.. so do weather you think it needs it or not..

they gave me an approx 15-20% discount straight away. No questsions asked and they did not request any verification or confirmation. ?
    I bet they did. But what do you think will happen if you claim??? I will tell you:

1) They will want proof that your alarm was installed and maintained to EN50131
    2) They will check that you had the alarm armed.

If you do not meet both of the conditions above and you availed of the discount then your claim will not be processed. The onus is on you to ensure that you meet all of the conditions outlined in the insurance policy that are often in small print!!

When I called my Insurance company (one of the popular banks) 2 years ago and told them I had just installed Eircom Phonewatch, they gave me an approx 15-20% discount straight away. No questsions asked and they did not request any verification or confirmation. ?:confused:

they will if you claim for your house being broken into..
    phonewatch should of given you a NSAI cert, one copy for you and one for your insurance. this is valid for a year unless you take out a service contract from an certified alarm company, does not have to be phonewatch who services it..

2011 wrote: »

I think you will find that the money you save with the insurance discount is less than what the service contract will cost you.

that is true but a service contract keeps your alarm up to the EN50131-1:2006 standard. if you use your two services in the year it is well worth the money you pay for it..

they will if you claim for your house being broken into..
    phonewatch should of given you a NSAI cert, one copy for you and one for your insurance. this is valid for a year unless you take out a service contract from an certified alarm company, does not have to be phonewatch who services it..

Yes, I have the NSAI cert, a Dupliate copy, but my bank never requested a copy (although I did offer to send one) they said no need.
    Complying with I.S. EN 50131-1:1997
    that is true but a service contract keeps your alarm up to the EN50131-1:2006 standard. if you use your two services in the year it is well worth the money you pay for it..

Think I may take out the €13 extra a year to cover myself
    One good thing is that the payments for the Alarm System itself will be finished in 8months or so, so that will be the bulk of the payments out of the way, i'll only be paying monitoring and maintenance

the new standard only came in this year.. you have your alarm in two years thats why its the 1997 standard.. it is worth it if as i said you have alot of sensors on your system.. i use to install the phonewatch systems.. they are good systems with not much maintenance on them..

the new standard only came in this year.. you have your alarm in two years thats why its the 1997 standard.. it is worth it if as i said you have alot of sensors on your system.. i use to install the phonewatch systems.. they are good systems with not much maintenance on them..

Thanks for all the replies lads, think I'll just take out the renewal just to be on the safe side. as soon as I renew it, i'll get them out for a service

Thanks for all the replies lads, think I'll just take out the renewal just to be on the safe side. as soon as I renew it, i'll get them out for a service

your welcome, make sure you get what your paying for..

Advertisement