Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, a no confidence vote on tuesday...

Options
  • 06-06-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

What do you reckon? Snap general election or is it going to fail, and just a muscle flexing move by Kenny?

I was quite taken aback by Bryan Dobson on the news earlier, he seemed to suggest that it was just a token gesture when he was interviewing Enda. Can't remember exactly what he said but it rather surprised me from a journalist to make assumptions before posing the question. Enda, however, seemed hopeful that it would actually succeed.

So two questions for the general population (well, the general population of the boards.ie politics forum ;) )

1: Do you think this is going to succeed and unseat the government?
    2: Is a change of government a good thing for IReland at this time, or is stability vital for our economic recovery?

I'm on the fence a bit about the second question... While FF's tax rises and spending cuts are hideously unpopular here, the EU has been saying that he's doing the right thing and that they are becoming confident once again in Ireland's ability to manage the crisis until it ends. Will a change of government and the associated instability destroy our credibility and undermine confidence in our country, to the EU and other international stakeholders, or will it make no difference? Much as I dislike the current government I can't help feeling that, like in America, "you don't change president during a war"...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

1: Do you think this is going to succeed and unseat the government?
    2: Is a change of government a good thing for IReland at this time, or is stability vital for our economic recovery?

1. No, I don't think it will succeed.

2. I would gladly support a change in Government if I thought the alternative would be any better. Alas, I don't approve of Fine Gael or their policies and certainly do not want Enda Kenny as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No the vote of no confidence will fail, the slimy Greens will need time to reflect and will cling on to support the crumbling pile, and the whole wipe out of FF/GP at the locals will be classified as a protest vote.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm not sure Enda's necessarily the best taoiseach but I'm sure he's better than what we've got. Cowen just doesn't get it - he's not popular and no amount of faux-heavy-hitting talk with make him so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

On the off chance that it does does succeed, how long would it take for an election to be held?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

1. No, I don't think it will succeed.

2. I would gladly support a change in Government if I thought the alternative would be any better. Alas, I don't approve of Fine Gael or their policies and certainly do not want Enda Kenny as Taoiseach.
    I'd go along with this. Another person at the helm of Fianna Gael and they could really make hay.
    The lansdowne poll for tomorrows sindo posed the question of who would you trust more as future leader, Kenny, Cowen or neither. The majority was for neither. Given that FF is at a historic low this says a lot about Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aidric wrote: »
    I'd go along with this. Another person at the helm of Fianna Gael and they could really make hay.
    The lansdowne poll for tomorrows sindo posed the question of who would you trust more as future leader, Kenny, Cowen or neither. The majority was for neither. Given that FF is at a historic low this says a lot about Kenny.

Indeed. That's about as useful a question as "Do you sleep on the left, the right or neither?" Aside from the disdain the Sindo demonstrates for anything like policies it continues to peddle the misleading notion that our electoral system is presidential.

It would be most disappointing to find that the electorate, when the next GE arrives, will make decisions on whether they think Cowen or Kenny or even Gilmore is a lesser muppet. Then we really will deserve what we get. I would like to think that we are adult enough to evaluate the promises on offer and choose the party/ies that we believe will best help us.

As to the question it probably won't succeed but it sounds good. As has been posted elsewhere the Greens are really the key to the house of cards coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i posted a while ago, richard bruton as leader and george lee as the number cruncher, it would be hard for any electorate to disagree, to me enda kenny is the equivelant of a cardboard cutout, place the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is it possible to make it a bannable offence for posters to continually say they won't vote for FG if Enda Kenny is leader? kthksbi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think the FG backbenchers would be ruffled by a newcomer getting a shadow cabinet place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The motion of no confidence is a master stroke. It will put the Greens in dreadful conundrum. If they do have a total meltdown and lose half their council seats as predicted and seems likely can they really continue to prop up a Government who have diluted and corrupted their ideals and caused splits from some of their founding members. Of course if they do bring the Government down and there is a general election they will be in danger of losing all their sitting TD's.

As for this Kenny is not the right leader talk I have to laugh. He is obviously doing something right to get FG into this position and I think a change of style of leadership would be most welcome. He may not be charismatic but I would prefer safe and boring compared to the two tits that was the previous and is the current Taoiseachs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

turgon wrote: »
    I think the FG backbenchers would be ruffled by a newcomer getting a shadow cabinet place.

Give his vote total I think they will be quickly told to stfu....
    gandalf wrote: »
    If they do have a total meltdown and lose half their council seats

I think it's going to be worse than that. They will be loosing most of their seats.

jhegarty wrote: »
    I think it's going to be worse than that. They will be loosing most of their seats.

That will be even better if it happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it is just a stunt to make the Greens squirm for a bit. After the mauling they are getting in the Locals and Europeans it will make them look as if they are voting for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As for this Kenny is not the right leader talk I have to laugh. He is obviously doing something right to get FG into this position and I think a change of style of leadership would be most welcome. He may not be charismatic but I would prefer safe and boring compared to the two tits that was the previous and is the current Taoiseachs.

If he was doing thing's right then the govt. would be dead and buried tonight.
    I'd say he could become a jim hacker figure, someone with little leadership skills or vision who finds himself in the top job due to circumstances rather than his own ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

The electorate have delivered a clear message to the government that change is necessary. The Green party and backbenchers have a moral obligation (and possibly a chance to save face) to deliver on this. The vote of no confidence already happened on Friday.

On another note I am getting sick of the Kenny bashing. We are not looking for the best candidate in a celebrity talent show. We are now suffering for our decision to keep a boy's club led by a likeable character (Bertie) in power for 3 terms. It is now time to finally mature as a nation and take a look beyond the facade and elect the best team to get us out of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bluntly even the likes of Conor Lenihan could lead FG to victory given the current circumstances. People are primarily defecting from FF and looking for a new home not primarily being drawn away by the leadership of Kenny.

Not that I won't be voting FG in the next election or anything.

nesf wrote: »
    Bluntly even the likes of Conor Lenihan could lead FG to victory given the current circumstances. People are primarily defecting from FF and looking for a new home not primarily being drawn away by the leadership of Kenny.

Not that I won't be voting FG in the next election or anything.

Would the drubbing that FF have suffered in the polls and the gain that FG have clearly made not plainly imply that people have decided on the new home?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

On another note I am getting sick of the Kenny bashing. We are not looking for the best candidate in a celebrity talent show.

My observation on Kenny is'nt based on charisma or presentation, its that every time I've heard him speak all he has is bluster and indignation, he does not come across as someone who's up to the job. Neither does that buffoon we have at the moment, but there you go

Would the drubbing that FF have suffered in the polls and the gain that FG have clearly made not plainly imply that people have decided on the new home?

Indeed, I'm querying how much of this is due to hatred of FF rather than liking of FG.

Bambi wrote: »
    My observation on Kenny is'nt based on charisma or presentation, its that every time I've heard him speak all he has is bluster and indignation, he does not come across as someone who's up to the job. Neither does that buffoon we have at the moment, but there you go

Yes I can see how you reach that, however you are saying that your opinion is not based on presentation whereas you are saying he does not "come across" as someone who can do the job. Surely that qualifies as presentation. My point is that we should stop scrutinising the vox pops and start looking into the real work being carried out.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't entirely go along with that. I suspect that FG are not in this position because of Kenny's leadership but because FF have fcuked up so badly that a lot of their disillusioned supporters have nowhere else to turn. Despite their differences, FG is the closest party ideologically to FF (populist, economically centre-right, moderate/centrist on social issues)

Now I'm sure there are some fans of Kenny out there but all in all his popularity isn't as high as it should be for someone who is a potential Taoiseach.

If/when Kenny does become Taoiseach I will be extremely skeptical because I dislike him and his party, but for the sake of the country I hope he and his Government do a good job.

nesf wrote: »
    Indeed, I'm querying how much of this is due to hatred of FF rather than liking of FG.

Hatred- certainly not! I've voted for some FF candidates elections prior to the last general and Friday's locals. I'm not affiliated to any party. I do however vote based on my personal feeling towards a candidate's or party's competence and on that basis I will not vote FF for some time.

Here was me thinking the topic was about a no confidence vote but its been derailed into a Anti-Kenny one again. My god you would think he is the one responsible for the quagmire we are in and not FF and their Green stabilisers.

Here was me thinking the topic was about a no confidence vote but its been derailed into a Anti-Kenny one again. My god you would think he is the one responsible for the quagmire we are in and not FF and their Green stabilisers.

No one is saying that Kenny is responsible for any of our current problems. Kenny is being discussed because if this no confidence motion were upheld and a general election ensued, there's a large chance he would become our next Taoiseach. Many posters (myself included) have doubts about his suitability for that role. I have nothing personally against the man; he could be a lovely sound guy for all I know.

I will say this for him; tabling this motion of no confidence was probably a good idea, otherwise he may have come under fire for "failing to capitalise on Fine Gael's success" or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

It makes no difference if from this day forward, Cowen does everything right as per the EU to sort his self made mess. The fact is, it is not worth the price of maintaining a corrupt institution in charge of this state. FF are a cancer, and MUST be cut out of the equation. Otherwise they continue to grow and poison this country.

If Cowen had a 'get-out-of-jail-free' card tomorrow, if all this horror could be magically lifted overnight, he and his abominable party of leeches and charlatans would sell us right back down the river again, just in time for the next general election. They know nothing else. Generations of FF supporters have grown up in that tradition. They need to be annihilated.

Cowen has even said as much. He hopes to have us back to 'rapid growth' as soon as possible. It is FF's version of 'rapid growth' that has us so out of step with the rest of the globe, so wide open to financial ruin and bankruptcy as a nation. They have no forward vision for this country at all. Only the vision of the continuation of the FF trough that they all slop like pigs in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This thread is about the no-confidence vote on Tuesday... please stay on topic!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The motion of no confidence is a master stroke. It will put the Greens in dreadful conundrum. If they do have a total meltdown and lose half their council seats as predicted and seems likely can they really continue to prop up a Government who have diluted and corrupted their ideals and caused splits from some of their founding members. Of course if they do bring the Government down and there is a general election they will be in danger of losing all their sitting TD's.

Are the Greens able to leave govt. or did they have to enter into some sort of legally binding contract with Fianna Fail ?

When Kenny does his speech can the Greens politely stand up and tell Cowen they're cancelling the agreement ?

What does this no confidence thing actually mean ? Is it just a bit of a spiel from Kenny or is there a legal construct in place whereby the govt. must disband if there's a vote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If it does happen, it would force Lisbon 2 out as a main issue, unlike Lisbon 1 which was ignored in the last general election (despite being a year later), so it could become a wildcard and I am a bit surprised that they would consider having one before the referendum is out of the way. Sinn Fein and other smaller parties might enjoy some benefit with such an issue as a major topic, while Fine Gael and Labour might suffer from it.

Or do Fine Gael suspect things might start to pick up soonish and that if they dont push it now the government might recover some ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I completely agree that this move by Kenny has simply been done to put pressure on the Greens.
    They're now faced with a tough decision. Hold onto power and become even more hated by the electorate or vote yes on the motion of no confidence and collect some Brownie Points for helping to bring about the fall of Fianna Fáil.

As for the OP's original questions:

1. I honestly cannot see the motion of no confidence succeeding. One thing all politicians have in common is their will to attain and hold on to power. The greens won't give up their power without a fight.

2. Is change good for Ireland right now? Hell yes it is. We've had enough with these corrupt pigs in government and change would be a really good thing. Will change hurt economic stability? Well, removing corrupt pigs and putting boars in their place might help. ONly time will tell. At the end of the day though, Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil have too much in common.
    That's why I'm voting Labour.

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Are the Greens able to leave govt. or did they have to enter into some sort of legally binding contract with Fianna Fail ?

They can leave whenever they want.
    When Kenny does his speech can the Greens politely stand up and tell Cowen they're cancelling the agreement ?

Yes they can.
    What does this no confidence thing actually mean ? Is it just a bit of a spiel from Kenny or is there a legal construct in place whereby the govt. must disband if there's a vote ?

If the Government loses a vote of confidence they no longer have control of the Dáil and must disband essentially. I can't remember if it's a legal requirement to do so unfortunately.

Advertisement