Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive list of proofs for HL Maths PII

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

The order I will do the questions will most likely be: 8,1,4,5,6,2,3.

Does anyone know if the line transformation proofs come up in Q3 often?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

I tried making it look ''mathsy'', you know with fractions ect..., but the usual mathods I use on a different forum didn't work :(. Since I can't make powers, ^2 means to the powers of 2. And to make it clear, all angles are in brackets.

1. cos^2(A) + sin^(2) = 1

2. Cosine formula a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos(A)

3. cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B)

4. cos(2A) = cos^2(A) - sin^2(A)

5. sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B)

6. sin(2A) = 2sin(A)cos(A)

This is where this might get hard to understand. By / I mean a fraction

7. tan(A+B) = [tan(A) + tan (B)]/[1 - tan^2(A)]

8. tan2A = [2tanA]/[1 - tan^2(A)]

9. cos2A = [1 - tan^2(A)]/[1 + tan^2(A)]

10. sin2A = [2tanA]/[1 + tan^2(A)]

11. cos^2(A) = 1/2[1 + cos(2A)]

12. sin^2(A) = 1/2[1 - cos(2A)]

If I typed anything wrong let me know. Good luck deciphering :D

do you have to learn all these or could u just prove them using common sence ?

gota study all of Q8,Q4,Q5 in 3hours its gona be tough ! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Des23 wrote: »
    Has the difference equation proof ever come up?
    Could definitely see it happening, people usually take it as a straightforward 20 marks, if they are out to mix things up a bit...

It's an annoying enough proof...what it is your actually proving? I know how to do it but I dunno what it is I am doing! It ends up equal to zero or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Not really sure how I'm going to go in this paper. I always go way over time on the circle question. I'll probably make it up on probability though.

And can someone help me with the proof of sin(a+b)? My book says to use the formula for cos(a-b) and substitute (pi/2 - a) in for a. Does cos(pi/2-a) = sin a?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

Not really sure how I'm going to go in this paper. I always go way over time on the circle question. I'll probably make it up on probability though.

And can someone help me with the proof of sin(a+b)? My book says to use the formula for cos(a-b) and substitute (pi/2 - a) in for a. Does cos(pi/2-a) = sin a?

Yes for this proof you need to remember cos(90-A)=sinA and sin(90-A)=cosA

• Advertisement

Sin(90-A) is equal to cos(A), likewise, cos(90-A) = sin(A). It makes sense if you do a few examples on your calculator. For example:

Sin(90-30) = cos(30); sin(60) = cos(30). It's basically because, simply, cosine and sine are two sides of the one coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

^ yeah cos(pi/2-A)=sinA and sin(pi/2-A)=cosA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

awhir wrote: »
    do you have to learn all these or could u just prove them using common sence ?

gota study all of Q8,Q4,Q5 in 3hours its gona be tough ! :o

no you don't have to learn them. they're just the trig identities
    the proofs are
    Circle:
    Tangent Theorem

Line:
    Angle between 2 lines
    Perpindicular Distacen

Trig:
    Cos^2A + Sin^2A = 1
    compund angle formulae
    cosine rule

Discrete Maths:
    difference euqation theorem

trying to learn these all now :o:(

spent all day yesterday studying maths and I'm still screwed. I've done no irish either
    aarrrgh

Advertisement