Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Gear do you Use??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Gear? Depends on how fast i am going. I find that if i dont move out of 3rd gear inside town/city limits, i find it easier to stay within the speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

splitrmx wrote: »
    Dance Music Production section gets started and now members of the original music production section are posting here, buying synths and asking about techno.....*rubs chin*.

Don't worry, they didn't get the implants from the mass abductions in the late 90's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

splitrmx wrote: »
    Dance Music Production section gets started and now members of the original music production section are posting here, buying synths and asking about techno.....*rubs chin*.

yeah apparently though we were full of guff and the only sound to be heard if this forum was set up would be the sound of tumbleweeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I've just bought an MS 2000R

did you get a receipt?

*edit*

actually based on this post:
    PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I actually bought them for a specific project ! Not Dance specifically, but Dance related .
    It's always good fun to learn.

you'll do fine with it so. its very hands on, its just that it sounds a bit pants and has the most unreliable sync and unstable lfos in the UNIVERSE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Helix wrote: »
    did you get a receipt?

*edit*

actually based on this post:

you'll do fine with it so. its very hands on, its just that it sounds a bit pants and has the most unreliable sync and unstable lfos in the UNIVERSE

I bought it offa honest man ... I'm sure he'll give me my money back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

jtsuited wrote: »
    yeah apparently though we were full of guff and the only sound to be heard if this forum was set up would be the sound of tumbleweeds.

*grins* Once a thread seems to contain a techno track people post, anything else gets Tumble Weed.

I'd nearly change the name to "The Techno Forum" tbh.

All gone downhill since Boschland tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Dragan wrote: »
    *grins* Once a thread seems to contain a techno track people post, anything else gets Tumble Weed.

I'd nearly change the name to "The Techno Forum" tbh.

I wouldnt agree with that at all Man..

I dont think that you can fairly say that theres a Techno bias, especially given that a lot of contributions here from people from every area - Electronic and/or otherwise.

Theres lots of different styles here.. you just have to look in the tracks section.

It would be unfair to limit it to one genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

ICN wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree with that at all Man..

I dont think that you can fairly say that theres a Techno bias, especially given that a lot of contributions here from people from every area - Electronic and/or otherwise.

Theres lots of different styles here.. you just have to look in the tracks section.

It would be unfair to limit it to one genre.

I am not it's a bad thing for the forum ( or for music ) but the simple fact is that techno is a BIG area in electronica. As such, i would pretty much expect any open genre music production forum to end up being a bit more on the techno/house/electro end. Sadly they are just not genres i am really into. But that's my own issue.

That said, the amount that i have learned from just reading posts here is badass.

Right, i am going to stop derailing the thread now.

At the moment i use

Physical Stuff
    1) Laptop
    2) Korg KP3
    3) Korg Kaossilator ( i have this to be very useful for just adding tiny details over things, plus it has an interesting mood where you can basically beat slice with it, which leads to some pretty weird loops ).
    4) A Shure Mic. I tend to use this to record my own hits and sounds.

Programs
    Fruity Loops
    Ableton Live ( haven't really started with this yet )
    And a huge amount of random VST's and junk.

Next on my shopping list are Monitors (KRK RP5's) and a Midi controller ( hopefully that arrives soon ).

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

Finally decided to get a future retro orb ... anyone ever used a revolution ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Finally decided to get a future retro orb ... anyone ever used a revolution ???

interesting - let us know how you get on with that!

My Gear:

Nemo Sequencer(the shizzle!!)
    Korg Radias
    Vermona Perfourmer
    Little Phatty stage 2
    Dave smith Mono Evolver
    Sherman filterbank 2
    Elektron machine drum/sampler
    Akai mpk 49
    Genelec 8040's
    Macbook
    PT8, Reason,recycle, soundforge
    Vst: the minimoog one(actually pretty good), zt3a(pretty good too)

and for fcuking around with mates:vestax vci 100a nd traktor/virtual dj + sony headphones 700

Next on the list is the daddy(in my opinion) Alesis Andromeda a6

got the Orb - really great .... works like a dream on my microkorg, and even with ableton ...
    the remix and loop functions are great !!! really perfect for making some infinite variations live ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

pc running cubse sx3, reason 4 and abelton live7 and cool edit.

krk6's speakers x 2
    waldorf blofeld desktop
    korg ms2000r
    emu proteus 2000 with 2 boards, xlead and phat planet
    novation a station
    electrix filter factory,
    electrix mo fx
    electrix warp factory
    behringer vamp pro
    behringer bcr2000 and bcf2000
    korg padkontrol,
    midi keyboard
    focusrite twin trak and penta
    bbe max com
    2 turntables and a microphone sennheiser e845
    akg perception 400 mic
    and a yamaha tenori-on
    a stylophone and a zylophone

and 3 patchbays

Dude, you have a Tenori on ? this is definitly my next buy - really want to get one; and i didn't find any good emulator that i can use ...

Tenori on are great ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

will someone please explain to me the use for a tenori.
    and dont spout out what is on the website,in laymans terms.i can never seem to find anyone using it in the "revolutionary"way its meant to be

Matrix sequencer with pretty lights.

Well, i think it's quite a nice 16 step sequencer ... and it's midi, so you can easilly integrate it in your live setup .

It's using a layered system, so i gives you great flexibities - It's really easy to program and make variations ... I actually really like the drum layer .

It's pretty cool for melodies too ... have a go with tone matrix :
    http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix

( fot those who don't already know try auditool : the cheapest live setup you can have !
    http://www.hobnox.com/audiotool )

I used Obo for a while on mac - nice to use synchronised with live, but not too limited

Weepr give you a good idea of the layer and system and drum side of the tenori on : http://www.weepr.com/

If you didn't see anyone making really cool stuff with a tenori on, well, I don't believe the problem is coming from the tool, but more from the person who use it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Matrix sequencer with pretty lights.

yeah thats what i figured.i cant see how it got its revolutionary tag.

it seems like its taking a simple thing and trying to make out its doing something fantastic.

call me underwhelmed i guess.the price is shocking for it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

jiltloop wrote: »
    My setup after alot of buying and selling recently, consists of:
    My pc: Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800 , 2.0GHz, 1gb crucial ballistix ram.
    Software: Reaper, Reason 3, Virsyn Poseidon, Absynth 4 plus various free plug ins.
    Hardware: M-Audio Oxygen V2, KRK Rokit 6s, Spirit folio F1 16/2, Roland SH-101, Novation Super Bass Station.
    Just added a Nord micro modular to my gear list. On first inspection this seems to be a really powerful synth. Endless amounts of possiblities, I 've a feeling I'll still be learning new things about this synth even after a couple of years of tinkering.

tnori on is a toy in my humble opinion!

what id buy for the same price:
    Elektron monomachine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

I use the tenori for when i want to do electronic music away from my pc

i fell in love with it when i went to its launch party in manchester, its quick and easy to use but definatly has limits, but on the other side if you buy a hardware sequencer it'll set you back a similar if not more price, and the tenori has a sound module and speakers built in, the sounds are aimed at electronica musicians, its not a hard dance tool nor a cheesey midi accompaint device.

its a shame that it isn't a synth, i'd love to be able to automate filter sweeps using the sequencer grid, and the sampler section is pretty basic, up to 16 1 second samples per patch, 3 patches at anyone time but no looping or level adjustment, and you cant choose weather its single shot or poly so fatboyslim type looping needs to be preplanned.

it is a great device to own, a luxury item that i enjoy, but itis a luxury item, not a must own.

the blofeld was half the price but has had a larger impact on what i put out

Anyone of you guys use modular synth ? i'm looking at doepfer or any diy ...

Anyone of you guys use modular synth ? i'm looking at doepfer or any diy ...

i have semi modular stuff, ya kinda need to really know your synthesis if going down the modular route, i would like to go down that road one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

I use modular. Have a Roland System 100m. Don't tend to use it in anger as the house is being done up and can't afford to damage the machines. Damp and dust is a problem here.
    Real modular is great fun - overloading, feedback, random messing and completely forgotten patches. I use software modulars but they aren't the same - they sound incredible but lack hands on. Lovely when you put other synths through them too - and the other way round. I have 2 x Korg MS10s that are excellent for that.

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    I use modular. Have a Roland System 100m. Don't tend to use it in anger as the house is being done up and can't afford to damage the machines. Damp and dust is a problem here.
    Real modular is great fun - overloading, feedback, random messing and completely forgotten patches. I use software modulars but they aren't the same - they sound incredible but lack hands on. Lovely when you put other synths through them too - and the other way round. I have 2 x Korg MS10s that are excellent for that.

wow, nice! over the weekend i was thinking of using mainly software now and just hanging on to my Andromeda and Vermona and selling the rest of my stuff, i am finding logic studio 9 quite wonderful(not for editing though)! so i am thinking of buying Kore 2 and komplete now as welland giving more soft synths a chance and well Kore 2 tickles my fancy. although in a few days i will probably be back to the hardware rules vibe!:)

I currently use no midi - I have plenty of hardware midi keyboards but have been looking into controllers and keeping the hardware for their internal sounds alone. Pehaps better to get a midi-cv converter and go mental with a PC sequencer in addition to the one in the System 100m. Still, I prefer the 'use it and lose it' way of synthesis...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pa the Blah

a wee selection :rolleyes: MacBook pro.. DP6..Ableton.. Ni collection.. Memory Moog, Oberheim 4 Voice, Matrix 12, Roland SH5 System 100, Yamaha CS30, ARP2600, RSF Kobol exp1, Octave Plateau Voyetra 8, MKS 80, SCI pro 600 Pro VSr Pro One, OSCar. CR78, SCI Drumtraks Pearl Syncussion, Simmons SD3. TC M2000 TC Fireworx, Sony DPSV77...

Hardware Rules alright ... software is affordable, sounds amazing - but is always behind that screen. It isn't part of the furniture.

My gear is hibernating at the moment - I'm not in a position or frame of mind to set it up due to this eternal "doing the house up" ... (thanks dear!)

Currently, there are (in boxes ... aaaaaaaaaarrrgh!) ...
    Roland Modular System 100m (10 mods inc sequencer plus 2 keyboards and System 700 keyboard), Roland SH-09, Roland SH 1000, Roland JX3P + PG200 programmer (did have two but foolishly sold 1 for next2 nothing), Roland JD-800, Moog Prodigy, Korg 700S, Korg MS10 x 2, Korg Prophecy, Sequential 6 Trak, Sequential Pro One, Alesis Quadrasynth, Yamaha CS-5 ... several Drumsynths, Stylophones and a Maplin 4600.

Also stored are misc outboard processors and patchbays. Comp based, I use 2 touchscreen PCs and laptops running Moog Modular, MiniMoog, Imposcar, ArpOddysey, ARP2600, Hammond, Prophet 5, CS80, FM emulation, Synthi A - you know, the usual ......... but truly prefer the real thing.

and the annoying bit... I have no midi-cv convertors or controllers ... yet...
    Once the house is properly damp proofed, the systems up and running it'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

My MacBook Pro will be arriving tomorrow, and I'll start basing a setup around that.

Anyone here use Max/MSP or Pure Data or anything like those?

I've been using Pure Data for around two months, and though I'm not any good at it yet, I really like it. I'm looking at moving to Max/MSP. I used to use FL Studio, and found myself gravitating towards whatever the layout on the screen facilitated the best. Pure Data doesn't do that, but it can be overwhelming in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

El Pr0n wrote: »
    My MacBook Pro will be arriving tomorrow, and I'll start basing a setup around that.

Anyone here use Max/MSP or Pure Data or anything like those?

I've been using Pure Data for around two months, and though I'm not any good at it yet, I really like it. I'm looking at moving to Max/MSP. I used to use FL Studio, and found myself gravitating towards whatever the layout on the screen facilitated the best. Pure Data doesn't do that, but it can be overwhelming in the same way.

You can lose a whole period of your life to Max/PD. I did some granular synthesis stuff in max a few years back. Tbh, it's great for the supergeeky stuff (and as an intellectual exercise).
    For actually getting anything done (as in actually finishing pieces/tracks) it's quite difficult.

If you get Max, spend the first 3 months going through ALL of the tutorials. I didn't and that's probably why I suck at it.

Going from FL studio to Max is like going from a trike to a Formula 1 car. There's a sizeable middle ground there commonly referred to as 'Music Technology' :).

Advertisement