Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Gear do you Use??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

That's a beautiful set-up. How are you using the Xone?

I am currently getting rid of the MC-303 and the RM1x ( a bit useless with the RS-7000)

For DJing, the Xone is really class - the filters on them are absolutely spot on.

I would use it with the chaos pad as aux, like that it can be use on every device connected, and he got is own channel itself, allowing you to make very creative effect.
    The TR-606 is plugged on the first channel - as you have a mono jack in

the rest is plugged on stereo on the different channel - one for the pc, one for the tenori on, one for the revolution and so on.

One type of drum ( for example percussion from the tenori on ) on the right side of the crossfader, another one ( the mac ) on the other side - that is the best way for get some really "breack" effect with your drums - as you can select on the xone which channel will be right, and which one is left.

Awesome mixer, even so it still didn't bit my freevox in my heart.

I totally should post a picture of my gear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I tried it with Live, and with the VST Nepheton from D16, which is the best tr-808 emulator out there - and what a controller !

Exact same thing I used it for myself, though it was with their 909 emu in chain with devastator and combinant

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Console Surfer

Setup here:

i7 930 overclocked to 4Ghz with a shed load of fans 12GB Ram and 1TB Hdds x 3, 2x 22" Monitors
    Q9600 quadcore now as backup used to be main machine 8GB Ram , 1TB HDD - 24" monitor
    Mobile ( dual Core Laptop 4GB Ram, UAX25 Edirol Soundcard )
    All running XP64 with just about every service I could switched off!

Both PCs have EMU1212m cards, main machine has UAD2 Solo and powercore PCIe
    running Cubase 4.5.2 upgraded to 5 a while back
    Various Midi controllers, 2x Oxygen , 1 Arturia one that came with Analogue factory ( it's a heap of ****e but just in case I spill beer on the main ones and they need to dry out ) and old faithfull Behringer UMX25 that's done more miles than my car and had so much abuse over the years but still works for mobile setup.

Mics
    SE2200a, couple of cheaper T-bone Large Diaphram ones had a few years, Rhode NTA1
    with a Studio Projects VTB preamp and a ****e behringer VTC one that is still lying around gathering dust.

Event AP8 monitors & Sub , HD25 & AKG271 Cans, Marantz HD480 speakers and some really cheap PC speakers for comparisons
    & an old soundcraft mixer my mate gave me for routing from the cards

@ Jimi - I have to try the drumazon as well - the d16 plugins are really sweet - i need to try some of the new versions - the audio units - they support even ;ore stuff, including midi learn ! AWESOME.

@Controlle surfer - That's a serious setup man !!!!

hop here's a pic ...
    My Desk !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

i7 930 overclocked to 4Ghz with a shed load of fans 12GB Ram and 1TB Hdds x 3, 2x 22" Monitors

[joke] Jesus, your dick must be tiny [/joke]

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Console Surfer

Small boy, Hell of a worker!!!

got from palicomp.co.uk..for a lot less than most places. I was shocked at the price of i7 systems and my second PC from them , just got a base unit , have to say it works well full stop and being completely anal about getting a PC running music software and not networking , antivirus, google updates etc.. my last upgrade for a long time.. cheap when you look at so called "pro audio PCs".. been building them and programming DSP/Chips professionally for 10 years before I lost my IT job.. so now music it is then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

@ Jimi - I have to try the drumazon as well - the d16 plugins are really sweet - i need to try some of the new versions - the audio units - they support even ;ore stuff, including midi learn ! AWESOME.

@Controlle surfer - That's a serious setup man !!!!

hop here's a pic ...
    My Desk !

have you tried the new OS on the tenori-on, i'm liking the swing feature

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

i use hardware alone for live use
    and also i've been using software less and less in the studio too...besides basic sequencing & rendering

live i use electribeEA1 (a cheap schittier version of the 303), an sp sampler 555, a electribeER! drum machine..& sometimes the microkorg..even though i hate the bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

Cubase 4
    reason
    albinio
    ms20 with controller(software)
    battery(what a program!!!)
    PSP vintage warmer
    Double glitch

sh-101
    korg radias
    korg electribe
    mv-8000(never used)

KRK rokit 6s

Man, i loved a SH101 !!!!

the swing function on the tenori on is pretty nice indeed :)

Just sold my RM1x, my MC303, and i am finally not getting the korg : not really fitting what i am doing ...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

Man, i loved a SH101 !!!!

the swing function on the tenori on is pretty nice indeed :)

Just sold my RM1x, my MC303, and i am finally not getting the korg : not really fitting what i am doing ...

:)

Im travelling Oz at the moment.. so its all in a box back home.. gathering dust

no way ! your killing me man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

Hello.

I'm using Reaktor controlled by a Yamaha WX7 wind controller.

I use Reaktor because it has a couple of physical modelling synths which are great with breath and embrochure control.

At the moment, I'm just using one Reaktor rack at a time. But I'd like to build a new more powerful computer and then rack them up in Cantabile Performer.

Also, I'd like to utilise live looping - either Ableton or something in Reaktor to keep the composition process unique and sounding different.

As a side project, I'm interested in building DACs to convert the digital signals generated into the sweetest analogue I can. - I' looking at heavy transformers, nice DAC chips, and experimenting with different Op amps.

Would be good to hear from anyone adventuring down similar trajectories.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

ronan0 wrote: »
    Hello.

I'm using Reaktor controlled by a Yamaha WX7 wind controller.

I use Reaktor because it has a couple of physical modelling synths which are great with breath and embrochure control.

At the moment, I'm just using one Reaktor rack at a time. But I'd like to build a new more powerful computer and then rack them up in Cantabile Performer.

Also, I'd like to utilise live looping - either Ableton or something in Reaktor to keep the composition process unique and sounding different.

As a side project, I'm interested in building DACs to convert the digital signals generated into the sweetest analogue I can. - I' looking at heavy transformers, nice DAC chips, and experimenting with different Op amps.

Would be good to hear from anyone adventuring down similar trajectories.

Cheers.

Sounds awesome, will look forward to hearing your music and info about your project :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 t4cell

This is my setup

Dell Precision 490 workstation
    Quad xeon 3 ghz 4 gig of ram
    Western Digital 80 gig raptor 10,000 rpm system drive
    Western Digital 300 gig projects and library drive

1 Furman power distributor
    1 Tc Electronics Studio Konnekt 48 with remote
    2*uad pci e dsp cards
    1 tc powercore firewire
    1 focusrite liquid mix

Krk Vxt 8 monitors
    Yamaha ns 10 m monitors
    yamaha ax 497 amp
    Alesis masterlink Hi res master recorder
    Ultrasone proline 750 Headphones
    1 very cheap and nasty grot box

Cubase 5.1
    Ableton 7
    Reason 4

uad software
    Neve 33609 compressor
    Neve 1081 eq
    Neve 1073 eq
    Neve 88rs Channel strip
    Roland re201 space echo
    Roland ce 1 chorus ensemble
    Roland dimension d chorus
    Ua 1176 leveling Amp
    Ua La 2a
    Ua La 3a
    ua vca vu dbx
    Ua Emt plate 140
    Ua Fairchild
    Ua Precision de-esser
    Ua Pultec+Pultec pro
    Ua Mix bundle

Waves
    SSl 4000 bundle
    E series channel strip
    G series channel strip
    G series buss compressor
    G series eq

Sony/Sonnox
    Dynamics
    Transmodulator
    eq 5 band par with hp/lp filters

Soundtoys 4
    Decapitator
    Echoboy
    Tremolator
    Filterfreak 1+2
    Crystalizer

Tc Powercore software
    character
    27/7 1176 style compressor
    Dynamic eq
    Fabrik c+r
    Vss 3 Reverb
    Megaverb
    Classicverb
    Access Virus
    Tc 1 sh101 Emulation
    Tc Chorus Delay
    Tc Eq sat
    Tc Voice strip
    Filtroid
    Tube fx
    Denoise
    Tc Master x3

Native Instruments
    Komplete 5+6
    Kore player

Spectrasonics
    Stylus Rmx+5 expanders
    Atmosphere

Rob Papen
    Sub Doom Bass

Steinberg
    Hypersonic 2

ILoks and syncrosoft keys

would love a re201, but hardware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 t4cell

Yeah savage machine used one years ago, gotta say the universal audio version is wicked would be nice to a/b them and see how close it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Boss do a stomp box emulation now,the re 20, of course it's dsp and isn't the original but I've heard it's good for a digital emulation. Been thinkin of gettin one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hey guys. Just starting off in this whole business.
    I have Ableton and I've been flaking away with that for months, but now I think I want to take it further, with performances and just actually in the creation of music.
    So I was thinkin about a Korg Kaoss Pad. I can buy one pretty cheaply off my friend. Was thinking about the Xone 4D?

And any tips on a good cheap synth which works with Ableton?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Hey guys. Just starting off in this whole business.
    I have Ableton and I've been flaking away with that for months, but now I think I want to take it further, with performances and just actually in the creation of music.
    So I was thinkin about a Korg Kaoss Pad. I can buy one pretty cheaply off my friend. Was thinking about the Xone 4D?

And any tips on a good cheap synth which works with Ableton?

Thanks.

Sylenth1 // Rop Papen Predator - both pretty kicking - if you want more weird/minimal sounds, then the Waldof Blofield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I mac 24" and mini mac 2.4ghz with 19" widescreen

1 apc 40

1 mpk61

Allen & Heath mix wizard multichannel desk

M-audio FireWire 610

2 x Mackie MR8's

Ableton 8 and Logic 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Elevator wrote: »
    Ableton 8 and Logic 9

Which do you prefer, or do you use both for different thing? I'm using Ableton, but I've heard so much about Logic I'm half thinking of moving over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Thinking of getting rid of my UAD xpander, making my setup even smaller. My vinyl collection is slowly taking over the room too.

Anyone interested in a UAD xpander with the plate 140, fairchild 670 and Neve 88rs, pm me. I'm gonna let it go for next to nothing (well strictly speaking i'll let it go for around 300).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Which do you prefer, or do you use both for different thing? I'm using Ableton, but I've heard so much about Logic I'm half thinking of moving over.

Trust me on this......move.

I started on ableton, moved to Logic and my life became great.:D

Still use ableton for live stuff and for doing more experimental jamming etc., but Logic is an absolutely awe-inspiring DAW. To the extent that it makes Ableton (which is a bloody great program) seem crap.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

jtsuited wrote: »
    Trust me on this......move.

I started on ableton, moved to Logic and my life became great.:D

Still use ableton for live stuff and for doing more experimental jamming etc., but Logic is an absolutely awe-inspiring DAW. To the extent that it makes Ableton (which is a bloody great program) seem crap.:pac::pac:

What real differences are there? I can't really imagine anything being better than Ableton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

What real differences are there? I can't really imagine anything being better than Ableton!

i couldnt begin to explain the differences as i've only been using them a short time but logic is very very good at what it does, ableton is a savage piece of kit alright and ya can get the 2 programs working together alongside reason if ya like,

my semi long term plan is to have all three programs running between my 2 apples

Hey gear headz,
    I got an ipad, great o/c touchscreen controller for live, really really nice.

if anyone of u guys is interested, I think I' m gonna get another Mac book, so I am thinking getting rid of my TR-606, my yamaha RS7000, my Denon Dn-S5000, and my future retro revolution.

if u anyone as a space echo or a Sh 101 to spare, we should talk !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

Hey gear headz,
    I got an ipad, great o/c touchscreen controller for live, really really nice.

if anyone of u guys is interested, I think I' m gonna get another Mac book, so I am thinking getting rid of my TR-606, my yamaha RS7000, my Denon Dn-S5000, and my future retro revolution.

if u anyone as a space echo or a Sh 101 to spare, we should talk !

how much you looking for the revolution?

I'll be happy with 400 euros, which is cheaper that any x0xb0x, but i can't get rid of it before the 606, as it is doing the sync with this one via din 32 ...

• Advertisement

Hey Guys, time for an update - again !!!

Roland TR-606, SH-101
    Launchpad, Tenori on
    Ipad
    Macbookpro - Ableton Live.
    Xone 62

Exit a lot of my gear !!! hehehe i still want 2 - 3 things :
    - a x0xb0x
    - a Space Echo : Re-150 or RE-101
    - a tr-707

I am getting rid of a vintage cithare, a Novation bassstation rack ( good for midi to CV gate converter, and analog synth ) - and a Denon DN-S5000.
    Finally getting rid of my Freevox DJ4, and legendary mixer handmade in France - quite popular over there.

Advertisement