Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Gear do you Use??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Hey synesthesia,
    are you selling your yamaha RS7000? how much you looking for?

cheers, Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

Hey Tom,

not anymore - as it was part of the trade which got me the SH-101 ;)

The RS7000 is great, but i am more and more using ableton, so no need for it anymore really ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

- a x0xb0x

so tempted to buy a kit from the x0xshop.de. 370 squid for everything including a case.

Dude,

Willzyx is cheaper, and more official - he officially took over from Lady ada, and ... a complete kit is 370 dollars !!!!!

Big music city sell them mounted otherwise for 500 dollars with warranty and all, which is currently 392 euros.

• Advertisement

Dude,

Willzyx is cheaper, and more official - he officially took over from Lady ada, and ... a complete kit is 370 dollars !!!!!

Big music city sell them mounted otherwise for 500 dollars with warranty and all, which is currently 392 euros.

plus whatever customs + extra you'd pay on top of all that buying from the US...

Lady ada released the project as no strings attached (ie no non commercial clause) open source. Willzyx is probably a mate of theirs, the end product is the exact same i would say. as long as you have the rare parts in order, each is identical.

also, no interest in buying one built. building it would be a big buzz for me!

edit: woah, DOLLARS! i bet i could get that and ship to to a mate stateside and get them to ship it my way... hhmm...

2 complete willxyz kits sold since i checked it yesterday...

Dollars indeed :) i am going in the state next month so yeah, i actually didn't think of the customs ...

I was planning to build one, got 2 sets of all the rare parts, which i ordered a long time ago ... just in case ... and then ... got a revolution for quite cheap. But i don't have the revolution anymore, so i am back looking into this ;p

Dollars indeed :) i am going in the state next month so yeah, i actually didn't think of the customs ...

I was planning to build one, got 2 sets of all the rare parts, which i ordered a long time ago ... just in case ... and then ... got a revolution for quite cheap. But i don't have the revolution anymore, so i am back looking into this ;p

ha! yeah i've got a baggie of rare parts too...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

my tuppence-worth studio set-up...

i have a G5 dual 1.8 running Ableton Live v7, with an m-Audio Ozone controller and a Korg Legacy MS20 controller,

korgMS20-small.jpg

hooked into a 28 year old Panasonic RX-C36 amplifier/ghetto blaster (old's cool), hooked up to 2 powerful JVC speakers.

SN850368_3.jpg

with LOTS of AU/VST software, my favourite stuff being the Korg Legacy Collection, reFX's Vanguard, Linplug's Albino, AudioRealism's ABL, the Arturia Arp2600 and Native Instrument's Absynth and FM7, not fogetting some of the cool free software offered by TAL.

most of my tracks are just doodles created while exploring the sounds in all these instruments... i'm not too good on the whole science of synthesis and kinda wish i did cos the inbuilt instruments within Live itself are exceptionally powerful.

sin é. :)

love the korg legacy collection ! - the TAL Vst's are pretty good as well, love he sh-101 one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Abletons Drum Racks
    Vinyl Records
    Handful of effects
    Cheap Midi keyboard
    Event Monitors

The minute I stopped obsessing about gear, and just vibed out and had fun, I started making more, and better music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

condra wrote: »
    The minute I stopped obsessing about gear, and just vibed out and had fun, I started making more, and better music.

Think this is something I, and many other people, probably need to learn to do...

speaking of techno-lust and remouncing all things shiny... i can't resist drooling over this.

livid-instruments-code-1.jpg

i really, really want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

lazyatom wrote: »
    speaking of techno-lust and remouncing all things shiny... i can't resist drooling over this.

livid-instruments-code-1.jpg

i really, really want one.

Its purty and all that but ostensibly isn't this just something people will buy to look good on their desk when the show people around their flat:

'Here is the toilet with bidet and retro shower curtain, here's the hallway with the prints I bought off the internet of lego reproductions of world events and here's my bedroom studio…'

'Ooohhh, that's pretty! What does it do?'

'Music stuff…'

There seems to be a lot of products being developed at the moment that they know people will buy solely based on the look of them. It's nice to have well designed products but do you reckon it will be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Its purty and all that but ostensibly isn't this just something people will buy to look good on their desk when the show people around their flat:

'Here is the toilet with bidet and retro shower curtain, here's the hallway with the prints I bought off the internet of lego reproductions of world events and here's my bedroom studio…'

'Ooohhh, that's pretty! What does it do?'

'Music stuff…'

There seems to be a lot of products being developed at the moment that they know people will buy solely based on the look of them. It's nice to have well designed products but do you reckon it will be any good?
    yeah true its basically rotaries with a few push buttons.

meh,basically a pretty uc 33

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

It's nice to have well designed products but do you reckon it will be any good?
    If it's well designed then it will be functionally good as well as look good. I'm all for things looking good, I think the look and feel of an interface definitely influences how I use it, makes me feel a certain way and thus affects the music I try to make.

It's made by company called Livid Instruments. Their other stuff looks interesting: http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_block.php

splitrmx wrote: »
    If it's well designed then it will be functionally good as well as look good. I'm all for things looking good, I think the look and feel of an interface definitely influences how I use it, makes me feel a certain way and thus affects the music I try to make.

It's made by company called Livid Instruments. Their other stuff looks interesting: http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_block.php
    im always a bit confused when people say they use products like this for production.

i mean anything that requires parameter sweeps(filters opening/closing,volume,wet/dry values etc) is normally too rough to be done by hand so midi is normally drawn in.

i know everyone has different techniques but any rotaries can offer you what this thing does

well, i don't care whatchya think. i want one. so there! :)

being honest, i found the lack of twiddly knobs in my setup a little frustrating. which is why i bought the Korg MS20 controller. it had a lot of knobs on it. and i wanted knobs.

uh... i think i'll use the word 'rotaries' from now on...

but, i've been on the look out for different types of controllers and stuff. something to broaden my work from merely drawing in sweeps etc, in order to create a more tactile sound, i suppose.

i love the look of the Monome but it's just buttons. the novation Launchpad looked a little more promising, with integrated sweep/faders, etc.

but that Livid Code controller looks perfect for my supposed needs. and also just looks perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

lazyatom wrote: »
    well, i don't care whatchya think. i want one. so there! :)

being honest, i found the lack of twiddly knobs in my setup a little frustrating. which is why i bought the Korg MS20 controller. it had a lot of knobs on it. and i wanted knobs.

uh... i think i'll use the word 'rotaries' from now on...

but, i've been on the look out for different types of controllers and stuff. something to broaden my work from merely drawing in sweeps etc, in order to create a more tactile sound, i suppose.

i love the look of the Monome but it's just buttons. the novation Launchpad looked a little more promising, with integrated sweep/faders, etc.

but that Livid Code controller looks perfect for my supposed needs. and also just looks perfect.

They are undeniably nice to look at but the Launchpad and the Monome always remind me of Simon. If you get the Livid Code though let me know how you get on with it.

If you get the Livid Code though let me know how you get on with it.

chance would be a fine thing...

some day man, when i get me some money! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

seannash wrote: »
    im always a bit confused when people say they use products like this for production.

i mean anything that requires parameter sweeps(filters opening/closing,volume,wet/dry values etc) is normally too rough to be done by hand so midi is normally drawn in.
    A lot of people don't use software sequencers where you draw things in, some people aren't even using midi!

splitrmx wrote: »
    A lot of people don't use software sequencers where you draw things in, some people aren't even using midi!
    ah yeah i know but these are midi controllers so id say it would be used inside of a daw.

i know people do it i just dont understand why

grid music is great :)

but monome are bloody expensive ... and require an awfull lot of twiking. and let's be honnest, it's not only a controller, but someof the monome stuff require serious skills - MLR is great, but it's like using a mpc, it require a lot of work - just having a funky little monome don't just do the trick.

I love the launchpad, great with live, no setup, and still usable as a monome with the nonome soft - I don't regret buying that one !
    the livid product have very good reputation - apparently good quality ... but code is quite bulky, i would have the tendancy to forget which button does what. I use to have a MS-20 controller as well, as I am a button farmer, but got rid of it, and i finally only use a sh101 for all my monosynth needs.

yeah that's a good one - I am making better tracks when i travel, when i just have live. I have reduced my setup considerably during the last year.

Got rid of all my grooveboxes, Now i still want a x0xb0x, probably a tr707 - as the go freakingly cheap, and a tape echo. was looking at a space echo until now ... and then i found this fella :

http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

Amazing pedal - I am getting rid of my kaoss pad 2 and my boss dd-5 for this one :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

44331_1573027409295_1343831582_31510176_6047440_n.jpg

Pretty happy with it now, took me a while to build the PC to a spec i wanted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

used to use a bit of hardware gear

but now my set up is
    novation remote sl 37
    fireface 400
    dynaudio bm5a's
    cubase sx3/vst's and plugins

nice n neat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

After the comments i got on the remix comp and my burning desire to upgrade my sound system i just purchased these:

krk_rp5.jpg

and since im mad for some pads i also picked up this cheap and cheerful (i hope!):

aka-lpd8_1.jpg

Now im off to sleep outside my house till i see the postman.

Got the lpd8.. for anyone on a budget and who does not have pads get on this little monster.. comes with an ableton preset for impulse n all so you can play with it out the box! i think you can buy them new for €55 in xmusic dublin.. loads more advanced pads out there but these are very handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

im actually thinking about getting one since i saw your post, i have a novation remote sl37 but im not too fond of the pads

i assume the rotaries are assignable to whatever you want?

im actually thinking about getting one since i saw your post, i have a novation remote sl37 but im not too fond of the pads

i assume the rotaries are assignable to whatever you want?

They sure are.. it comes with some backend software for midi assignments.. plus you can create and save presets.. also comes with a few presets for like impulse and an mpc preset.. here is a screen of the software..

lpd8-editor-screenshot.jpg

oh and i love it!!

how do you find the sl? when funds permit i was thinking of picking up a new keyboard and thought may as well get some pads with it.. are the sl pads bad? im leaning towards an akai mpk49 anybody have the lpk series controller?

• Advertisement

http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

Amazing pedal - I am getting rid of my kaoss pad 2 and my boss dd-5 for this one :)

quality pedal alright, just got one a few weeks ago...

Advertisement