Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Subjects for Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hiya everyone. Im going into 5th year now {totally unprepared after TY} and my problem is that I dont take irish, so i only have 6 subjects for the LC. Im a bit worried about the English exam so i want to be safe and take one subject outside of school, but i dont know where and how to go about this seeing as I moved here from the states a few years ago. Does anyone know where I could get some classes for 5th/6th year? I would probably be taking Chemistry, and I know the institute in dublin does afterschool extra classes which dont include experiments...so i presume they're more like grinds.

Id appreciate any help or info cause im a bit out of it and freaking out ~already~

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Their isn't a set place to take these centres as far as I know, though it depends on the area (A friend of mine does history outside school in the South East Learning Centre, there could be an equivalent in Dublin). Those after school classes do seem like grinds, as there is only one Chemistry exam you can take (There is also a "Physics and Chemistry" course, but you can't take both that and Physics/Chemistry as a separate subject).

Really you have plenty of time and a summer to think about it, look through all the subject that are possible to sit exams in, and decide which you'd enjoy the most, you can find previous years examinations (and the answers) on Examinations.ie if you want to know what the course is like, and I'd recommend talking to your principal about it, they may be able to help someone who offers cheap lessons. Try any local place that you know offers grinds or anything if you're school is closed, which I assume it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

nataliee wrote: »
    Hiya everyone. Im going into 5th year now {totally unprepared after TY} and my problem is that I dont take irish, so i only have 6 subjects for the LC. Im a bit worried about the English exam so i want to be safe and take one subject outside of school, but i dont know where and how to go about this seeing as I moved here from the states a few years ago. Does anyone know where I could get some classes for 5th/6th year? I would probably be taking Chemistry, and I know the institute in dublin does afterschool extra classes which dont include experiments...so i presume they're more like grinds.

Id appreciate any help or info cause im a bit out of it and freaking out ~already~

:)

No-one is prepared after TY (Well very few!) so first of all relax!

Classics.
    Economics.
    Religion*.
    Music**.
    Japanese.
    Applied Maths***.

Are all very manageable if your in anyway interested (I know you didnt really ask you suggestions, but...........).

I would very much advise against taking Chemistry outside of school. I love chemistry, but having the constant help of a teacher is very helpful, and of course the experiments are mandatory, so you'd have to (Well are supposed to) do them, and it could be hard enough to bluff about experiments if you've never even seen them.

*A grind/teacher would be handy around the time of the project.
    **Some sort of prior experience/actual music ability would be helpful!
    ***Obviously decent maths ability is needed, pretty sure this counts as a science subject too (In TCD anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Oh not sure if I need to mention or if it's obvious, but make sure you're fully aware of whether the subject you choose involves a practical part or something similar.
    If it does you'll need to make arrangements with your school well in advance (In 6th year would be good enough, practicals generally start after Christmas in 6th year, so don't worry, you'd have plenty of time, but it might be best to make sure at the start of 5th year that your school is equipped).

And many subjects (Engineering and Design and Communication Graphics come to mind) require quite large projects to be done over several weeks, must be done supervised by teacher, you'll need special equipment/software, so be sure to not do one of these unless you're 100% sure arrangements can be made.
    If in doubt ask your school and/or contact the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

You won't need too much help in terms of grinds etc IF you study the subject yourself.

Be warned: chemistry is a pretty big course, and it can be tough. I love it personally, but you do need a certain amount of aptitude for science AND maths if you want to do well in it...

Applied maths and music are the most common subjects studied by people outside school... Don't rule out either of them!

Advertisement