Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz: Skilled migrant visa?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Question about the skilled migrant visa.

One of the requirements is that you have 12 out of the past 24 months of work experience in your skill, the skill being on the skill shortage list for oz.

I have 10 months out of the past 24 months, can I still apply for this visa?

My dilemma is that I'm currently in NZ on a work permit. Like a fool I didn't apply for residency in time and now my job that i'm on at the moment is due to finish up at the end of June. This means my work permit which was originally valid until the end of 2011 becomes invalidated in one month and I must maintain work in my current division to maintain the permit but there is no work.

In short, I have to leave the country pretty soon or risk deportation. Last thing I want to do is go back to Ireland so Oz is the next best thing but its getting the visa and this slight shortcoming that I have that's holding me back.

Anyone any experience on the visa problem/a similar situation or advice?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

JamMasterG wrote: »
    Question about the skilled migrant visa.

One of the requirements is that you have 12 out of the past 24 months of work experience in your skill, the skill being on the skill shortage list for oz.

I have 10 months out of the past 24 months, can I still apply for this visa?

My dilemma is that I'm currently in NZ on a work permit. Like a fool I didn't apply for residency in time and now my job that i'm on at the moment is due to finish up at the end of June. This means my work permit which was originally valid until the end of 2011 becomes invalidated in one month and I must maintain work in my current division to maintain the permit but there is no work.

In short, I have to leave the country pretty soon or risk deportation. Last thing I want to do is go back to Ireland so Oz is the next best thing but its getting the visa and this slight shortcoming that I have that's holding me back.

Anyone any experience on the visa problem/a similar situation or advice?
    Cheers

I would say very unlikely that 10 months will be accepted if 12 months is the requirement. Sorry. DIAC are strict very strict.
    You should (if your serious about it) fork out a few hundred and talk to a MARA registered immigration agent. They will be able to tell you if there is any option for you. Sometimes in immigration what reads as english actual means something else in immigration law (if that makes sense). A MARA registered agent will be abble to translate for you.

Advertisement