Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My router won't stop rebooting.. o_o

Options
  • 07-06-2009 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I initially thought that this was an isolated problem, because my Netopia 3347W router is almost 5 years old now, and nearly at the end of its lifespan. But after I consulted one of my friends who also has eircom broadband, and it turns out that he's been having the exact same problem. Our routers are constantly restarting, seemingly at random. Sometimes the routers restart at 1 minute intervals, and sometimes at intervals of 3 hours, it's very annoying.

Is anyone else having this problem?

-Steve :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If you're with Eircom ring up technical support about it, they can check the line to make sure it isn't a line fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no reason for 5 years to be "at end of lifespan".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi guys,
    I initially thought that this was an isolated problem, because my Netopia 3347W router is almost 5 years old now, and nearly at the end of its lifespan. But after I consulted one of my friends who also has eircom broadband, and it turns out that he's been having the exact same problem. Our routers are constantly restarting, seemingly at random. Sometimes the routers restart at 1 minute intervals, and sometimes at intervals of 3 hours, it's very annoying.

Is anyone else having this problem?

-Steve :confused:

What are your line stats? Have you uppped your speed lately? Constant disconnects can be due to poor snr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

check your firmware level if you haven't updated it. the current firmware for the 3347W is: v7.5.0 R1 according to the netopia website here: http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347w.html

make sure yours is up to date and then if it's no better ring eircom and see what they have to say.

you may want to back up your configuration in case it does not survive the upgrade, just to be on the safe side and make sure you download the manual so you have an offline copy in case the router is reset to it's defaults so you know the default password etc.

may not be necessary as i believe it should keep your settings, but it doesn't hurt to have them just in case. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

I updated my firmware, no change, and I haven't changed my service at all lately. And again, I'd like to make it clear that this isn't a simple disconnection from their service, or DSL sync dropping, the entire router restarts itself, as if you hit the power switch off, and then back on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try a different PSU, of same polarity, plug, voltage and same or greater current. Sounds like a HW or power fault or ESB interference. Do your lights flicker( need a filiment not tube or CFL)?

It's definitely not the PSU, I just did an experiment, I took out the DSL and let the router run for half an hour, it didn't reboot once, as soon as I plugged the DSL back in, it reset almost a minute later, indicating that Eircom must be sending something that causes the router to crash.

I then decided to disable the wireless on the router, and it seems to work perfectly now, how confusing..

The thing is, my mother is using a macbook downstairs, and she'll be wanting to use the internet.. and a very long cable just won't do for her, she must have her wireless.. :(. Any ideas on why the wireless would be 'crashing' the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Have you secured the wireless properly? WPA / WPA2 ? Any chance someone is leeching your broadband and has maxxed out the bandwidth?

Yeah, I tried changing security settings on the wireless, and even tried turning privacy off, but to no avail

you know, i might have an idea about what it could be. :)

do you live in the country?

i used to work for an ISP many moons ago when DSL was still a baby in Ireland, and we had a dialup user who had similar conection problems. it took ages to trace it, but it turned out to be an earthing rod for an electric cattle fence right near to where the phone line ran that was knocking off his connection.

i've noticed a lot more cows and calves in fields recently, i'm guessing it's baby making season for farm animals about now?

of course if you're in the city then i've no idea, but it could still be some other kind of electrical interference.

it's an idea though. :)

• Advertisement

Nice to have such a cool mother:)

Any chance of borrowing a router or trying your router in another location?

This might help to determine if there is an extraordinary combination of electrics that is causing the problem.

I doubt if Eircom have either the time or the inclination to be targetting your router!:D

I laughed quite a bit when I saw that story about the electric fence =P. And no, my mother is not cool, every 5 minutes.. STEVEN, HOW I DO THIS, STEVEN, HOW I DO THAT, STEVEN, PIRATE SOMETHING FOR ME.. AGHHH :mad:.

Anyway, I told my father about the problem, and he said that he cancelled his broadband a while ago (After he figured that he was connecting to his neighbour's router the entire time that he had it.. :o), but still had his old router. So I grabbed the router off him today, and fired it up, and it seems to be working perfectly.

One thing puzzles me though.. is it sheer coincidence that my friend in Dublin was having the exact same problem?

I laughed quite a bit when I saw that story about the electric fence =P. And no, my mother is not cool, every 5 minutes.. STEVEN, HOW I DO THIS, STEVEN, HOW I DO THAT, STEVEN, PIRATE SOMETHING FOR ME.. AGHHH :mad:.

Anyway, I told my father about the problem, and he said that he cancelled his broadband a while ago (After he figured that he was connecting to his neighbour's router the entire time that he had it.. :o), but still had his old router. So I grabbed the router off him today, and fired it up, and it seems to be working perfectly.

One thing puzzles me though.. is it sheer coincidence that my friend in Dublin was having the exact same problem?

No Eircom have this special unit that knows exactly who is friends with who and poisons their routers every so often. It costs a fortune to run and thats why they are in such a financial mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

cool family, pirate mom and dad hacker ;)

docentore wrote: »
    cool family, pirate mom and dad hacker ;)

And paranoid son!:D

...So I grabbed the router off him today, and fired it up, and it seems to be working perfectly.
    nice one, looks like the cows are in the clear then this time. :)

glad you got it sorted anyways.

actually, here's a thought. you've upgraded the firmware so you know it wasn't that, so it's almost certainly a hardware fault. tell eircom you've tested it with 'a friends' router but that you only have a lend of it for a short time and can they send you a new one as yours is obviously faulty, etc. etc. and you'll send them back the faulty one.

maybe you'll get a better one than the one you've got off your old man.

if you're feeling guilty you could give his one to someone who doesn't have wireless at all when your new one turns up. :)

think of it as compensation for your troubles. ;)

Advertisement