Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand-in for Christening?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 2:27am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

My OH has been asked to be Godfather to our new niece, he was asked before she was born, and was thrilled with the prospect, however his sister has bookend the christnening on the day we're going on holidays. (She got the dates mixed up and thought we were going the following week.) I'd have no problems changing the dates, only it's already booked and paid for, and to change it would cost us upwards of €300, which we really can't afford.

She's not sure if she'll be able to change the dates of the christening, as our parish only holds christenings once a month, and apparently they book pretty far in advance. She was wondering is it possible to get someone to 'stand-in' for the godfather? Has anyone here heard whether or not that's possible? :confused:

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Sounds a bit odd having a stand-in, sure don't they have to make commitments at the ceremony. It would be like having a stand-in groom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yes...you can have a stand-in (proxy) take the role of a god parent. We had to do it at ours as one of them slept it out due to confusion caused by the owner of the b+b he was staying in :-)

It is no bother at all. The original person is still officially the god parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Neither of my godparents were present when I was baptised, that was back in the 60's ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll let my SIL know. Glad to hear it's possible, although he hasn't said anything, I know my OH would be really dissappointed if he couldn't be godfather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My sisters godmother and godfather missed her cristening and so the lady that does the flowers in the church stood in for them. 28 yrs on and that woman is still doing the flowers at the church and we have a good laugh about it now and again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I had to have someone stand in for me as godparent at my nephew's Christening. My sister lives in the UK and I couldn't get away that weekend to attend and there was no hassle with having a stand in at all.

Advertisement