Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Ireland qualify for South Africa 2010?

• 07-06-2009 4:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Ok with three games to go our fate is in our hands with regard to qualifying for the playoffs. We also have an outside shot of topping the group should we get a win at home to the Italians.

However, we still have some tricky ties left. Eamo seems confident of three points away to Cyprus but I'm finding it very difficult to share his optimism. Italy are beatable provided we nick a goal then learn how to defend a lead, and you would expect a win over Montenegro.

Personally I think we're sorted for second spot but will struggle in a playoff that could go either way.

Will Ireland qualify? 146 votes

Yes - we'll beat the Italians and top the group
    0%
    Yes - via the playoffs
    9%
    RAUL DUKE~Marky~ironictoasterdogpileSuperSean11Evil_ClownlivinginkoreaImJohnratinakeghelimachoptorIrishIrishCarroller1mcampo1Interyurauldone 14 votes
    No - we'll make a balls of it and finish 3rd in the group
    52%
    jArgHAIllkillyaKulganPHBFenixeclectichoneyDont be at yourselfBounty HunterbyteSeanehRuu_OldV9BigConmachiavellianmeCCCP^weemcdStringKingp35wanabecruiserweight 77 votes
    No - we'll bomb out in the playoffs
    0%
    Highsider 1 vote
    Atari Predictions - I'm on the fence with Gilsey
    36%
    VokessilversidesionnachAPMWasterdubmickErinGoBrath_blank_Time MagazinedoonothingziggyBrando_ieChardee MacDennisPigheadSpider_Baby!JPARoyale with Cheese5starpoolpatmacNalz 54 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I want to believe, but we have had the near misses under the Kerr era, the horror show that was the Stan era, its simply impossible to feel fully optimistic.

Im most worried Portugal, who are doing awful in their group, will still manage a play off and we will get them and lose. Also, the prospect of Marcheda coming to Dublin is worrying as well, dont know if Lippi rates him obviously but he is world class player in the making. Only Shay is good enough for him, our defensive line dont stand a hope against a player of such quality.

On paper, we should do it, in reality, we have had so many upsets you cant bank on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I felt we'd have to scrap for second place but we're in a way better position than I expected. I reckon we can beat Cyprus. I think we'll come unstuck against the Italians in Dublin but beat Montenegro. Then it would be down to the luck of the draw in the play-offs. If we can avoid going up against one of the top fancied sides then I reckon we'll make it. Still a good bit of work to be done though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oooorrrr..Ireland'll finish 9th of the second places and not get the playoff..:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i dont see how ayone could be confident of us beating cyprus. weve not had the best performances against them recently. tbh i could see us getting 2 draws and everything coming down to montenegro. no way are things clear cut yet, this is ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Tbh, I don't think we'll qualify for the 2010 World Cup. A play-off, but no further, which is still a great achievement considering the players at our disposal. I've gone through the permutations, group-by-group, and this is how I see it panning out.........

This is how the second-placed teams are currently standing:

3601378709_f364572dfc.jpg?v=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_UEFA_Play-offs

However, I think this table will be be very different by the end of the group games. In Group 1, Hungary will most likely be replaced by Portugal. Hungary still have to play Portugal twice, and if the Portugese win those two games (which they are very capable of doing), they would take over second spot. So, in effect, Portugal still have qualification in their own hands. Denmark should win group 1, because there are currently 7 points ahead of Portugal and that is probably enough of a safe lead to win the group overall.

Group 2: very weak group, it's between Greece and Switzerland. Greece to win, and Switzerland runners up.

Group 3: N Ireland still have 3 tough games left, all 3 games which they could easily lose. Slovakia are 5 points up on Poland, so that should be enough to win the group. Second place is really between Poland/Czech Republic. On form, Poland should secure second spot- they already beat the Czechs, and have a far superior goal difference.

Group 4: fairly straightforward- Germany to walk the group, Russia get a play-off as runner-up.

Group 5: Spain, on maximum points so far, to win the group. I think Turkey will finish in second spot in this particular group. Bosnia are currently 4 points ahead of Turkey, but they still have to play each other once, and Bosnia also have to play Spain who have won all their games thus far. Turkey have already got their two games against Spain out of the way. Also, Turkey already beat Bosnia last October, so with that in mind, it's quite likely that Turkey will ultimately overtake Bosnia for second spot.

Group 6: England to win group, Croatia runners-up.

Group 7: It's a straight fight between Serbia and France because I can't see any of the other teams catching the top 2. Serbia are 5 points clear, but France have a game in hand. Serbia are at home for their game against the French, and if they get a draw out of it, they should be ok to top the group. Serbia to win group, France second.

Group 8: If Italy win their game against Georgia (which they should), it will put them on 17 points, 4 points ahead of us, and virtually certain to top the group. Bulgaria are 5 points behind us, but have a game in hand. However, if we win 2 of our last 3 games (ie. Cyprus and Montenegro), that should be sufficient to secure second place. Italy will win the group, with Ireland finishing runner-up.

Group 9: Holland already qualified. Scotland should finish second, but they still have 3 tough games to go: Norway (away), Macedonia and Holland (both home). 4 points from those 3 games would probably be enough to guarantee second spot for Scotland.

So, in summary, I reckon the second-placed teams will be the following:
    Portugal, Switzerland, Poland, Russia, Turkey, Croatia, France, Ireland, Scotland.

Now, we have to consider which team is likely to finish as the worst runner-up. On the current table above, Croatia are the worst runner-up. However, Croatia have a very easy run-in of 4 games (apart from England). They should easily pick up 9 points from their remaining fixtures (Belarus twice, Kazakhstan, and England away), so Croatia should be safe.

Poland, if they secure second spot in their respective group (which I think they will), will also be looking for every single point to avoid the wooden spoon. They have 4 games remaining; N Ireland, Slovenia, Czech Rep, and Slovakia. They are well capable of winning 3 of those games, so they too should be ok for a play-off place.

Switzerland are also on 7 points in the table above. However, they are in a fairly easy group, so they should have no problem picking up the necessary points for a play-off.

Scotland are currently sitting on 7 points (the same as us) in the runners-up table above, and have 3 difficult games left, as I said before. They already lost to Macedonia in their opening fixture and also drew with Norway in another qualifier, so it's not inconceivable that they would drop some points in these two games. Their last fixture is at home to the Dutch (who may well like to finish on maximum points to keep momentum going). So, in reality, it's a dogfight between ourselves and Scotland as to who should secure the last play-off place. 3 games each; we have Cyprus, Italy, and Montegnegro. Scotland have Norway, Macedonia and Holland. My money is on Ireland; I think Scotland are in real trouble, and they will be the team to lose out on the last play-off place.

So, if Scotland are eliminated by reason of their poor points tally, the play-offs would look like this:

Portugal, Switzerland, Poland, Russia, Turkey, Croatia, France, Ireland.

Obviously, the play-offs look a lot tougher now than the table at the start of my post, and tbh apart from Switzerland, I wouldn't fancy us against any of the other teams over a two-leg play-off, and for that reason, I suggest that Ireland will not be making the trip to South Africa next summer:(

(Hope I'm wrong though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

IMO there is no way we will top this group. Italy would have to implode and we would have to win in Cyprus which I think would be tough. We would then have to beat Italy in Croker not impossible but not likely as they will prob come for the draw.

All in all I can see a scenario where we draw the next two games and go into the last needing another point to get in the playoffs. Then it is a lottery (see above). We might get lucky (remember Iran) or very unlucky e.g. Croatia, Russia, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

made this post in the match thread, probably more relevant here:
    I think we'll have to get a result against Italy if we want to secure a play off place. on paper we shouldn't hopefully, but typically when Irish teams drop points like we did today and the last time out in Croker, it comes back to haunt us even if it seems a decent result at the time.

not going to be especially disappointed anyway if we don't, considering the last campaign we had, and how the squad is actually much weaker now than it was then. If Trapp does manage to get us to SA2010 with that midfield it'll have been a bloody miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I've an inkling we'll be knocked out in the playoffs as the likely pool of 2nd place teams is looking pretty fearsome. I think though we have the potential to beat Switzerland, Poland and maybe even Croatia if they're missing key players.

If we can get back our options in CM (S Reid, Gibson, Carsley even) fit and fighting by autumn - that plus the Trap factor - we can do it.

shane86 wrote: »
    Also, the prospect of Marcheda coming to Dublin is worrying as well, dont know if Lippi rates him obviously but he is world class player in the making. Only Shay is good enough for him, our defensive line dont stand a hope against a player of such quality.
    Eh....the ManU player? I think the likes of Dunne and O'Shea have proved themselves capable of going up against big players never mind a youth prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I firmly believe out squad will be stronger by the time we are in the playoffs [S. Reid back, Gibson hopefully having a premiership football behind him], and I think the team out there will be able to beat 2/3rds of the other playoff teams. Lets just pray we get there and pray for a lucky draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Too top the group all we need is 3 wins and Italy drawing with Bulgaria.

I mean its less likely than likely but its not exactly beyond the realms people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I want to believe, but we have had the near misses under the Kerr era, the horror show that was the Stan era, its simply impossible to feel fully optimistic.

Im most worried Portugal, who are doing awful in their group, will still manage a play off and we will get them and lose. Also, the prospect of Marcheda coming to Dublin is worrying as well, dont know if Lippi rates him obviously but he is world class player in the making. Only Shay is good enough for him, our defensive line dont stand a hope against a player of such quality.

On paper, we should do it, in reality, we have had so many upsets you cant bank on anything.

I feel a handful of sub appearances and I may be wrong but one start makes him a great prospect. Has he been included in a full squad yet? I think we need to worry more about securing points against Cyprus and Mont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I doubt it.
    We should come second, but even if we do get a playoff place then we probably won't go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno, I reckon we'd be a tough proposition in the playoffs, which, realistically, is the best we can hope for (and an achievement given what's gone before...) We don't concede many goals, and over two legs I'd fancy us, even against the bigger sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

the problem with our midfield is that neither Whelan or Andrews are particularly creative. I rate Whelan at what he does but you need somebody who has an eye for intelligent passing, and we have missed Steven Reid in this department... however he is on the road to recovery and is set to be available during pre-season so with his return I think we are far more dangerous in attack... I'm aware this may stir a reaction but I really hope Stephen Ireland can make himself available, our midfield would be so much more dangerous with him

as for the defense, I've said it for years - Kilbane is not good enough, sure he'll give you 100% but so would I if you give me the green jersey!!! two costly errors have cost us effectively 4 points which would have put us top of the group and put Bulgairia completely out of it. Hopefully Finnan can return to fitness and the premiership and fill in at rightback, move OShea to the left and leave Dunne and St Ledger together, I was very impressed with St Ledger last night, marking Berbatov and Bojinov away on your competitive debut cannot be easy.

Can we qualify? We'll probably get 2nd, and from there it depends on the draw and can we keep our strongest 11 fit-which is never a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Also, the prospect of Marcheda coming to Dublin is worrying as well, dont know if Lippi rates him obviously but he is world class player in the making. Only Shay is good enough for him, our defensive line dont stand a hope against a player of such quality

Bit of an exaggeration there Shane! Macheda is a good prospect but Dunne and O'Shea have come up against better players than him many times and survived. In any case Macheda is not even in the Italian senior squad yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

OT but he hasn't even played for the U-21s. WTH you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The only two teams I'm scared of are Russia and Croatia. I'd love to get Norn Iron, Scotland or Switzerland(VENGANCE!!!)

(I'm assuming that France will top their group and that Portugal won't make it through.)

On the plus side, we're becoming a team that doesn't lose games easily and they're really bloody difficult to beat in a two leg playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol I see Shane went fishing and caught himself some big ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We'll finish 2nd, we could possibly beat the Italians but still finish second. I dont think we'll beat Cyprus away.

I'd love us to knock out Switzerland in the playoffs too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol I see Shane went fishing and caught himself some big ones.

I love that defense when someone makes an ill-advised comment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Good result last night and im expecting us to finish second in the group.

When is Stephen Reid back from injury and when is our next game? I think he is such an important player and I think he is quality just absolutely dogged with injury.

Wouldnt mind seeing Andy Reid stuck in for the Cyprus game but it looks like that will never happen. Also think Kilbane has seen better days, whats the story with Foley from Wolves I heard he was meant to be a great prospect.

Actually when you think about it our team is going to be a lot stronger when some of the players return. As long as no more injuries crop up before then.

The teams we meet in the playoffs though are worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Given out history in play offs, we really really need to go for the win over Italy.
    Easier said then done obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

In my opinion we will struggle to beat Cyprus and Montenegro, I wished we had San Marino or Andorra:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    In my opinion we will struggle to beat Cyprus and Montenegro, I wished we had San Marino or Andorra:D

Do you not remember last time we played san marino away??? injury time winner when we looked terrible! I do agree though that the Italy game seems to be almost the easier game, sure italy is a team of old men at this stage!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Was thinking about it most of the day, we should get second spot, even just one win from our last 3 games would do I'd say but I wouldn't even bother thinking of topping the group.
    That leaves us with a real crunch play off v Russia, Croatia maybe even France, an in-form Bosnia etc. The only side I think we would have a chance against is the Swiss and maybe Poland.
    Unfortunately I'd have to say we'll come up short and it would really depress ya if all the good work so far in the group would be for nothing.
    All depends on the draw tho, should we get second spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

i think we will get to a playoff - probably draw france (our luck :mad: ) and not make the WC. Hope im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Ok with three games to go our fate is in our hands with regard to qualifying for the playoffs. We also have an outside shot of topping the group should we get a win at home to the Italians.

However, we still have some tricky ties left. Eamo seems confident of three points away to Cyprus but I'm finding it very difficult to share his optimism. Italy are beatable provided we nick a goal then learn how to defend a lead, and you would expect a win over Montenegro.

Personally I think we're sorted for second spot but will struggle in a playoff that could go either way.

We should aim for top spot, play offs are a lottery, if we even get a play off that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I would LOVE IT if we drew Switzerland and knocked them out.

I f**king hate the Swiss :mad:

Though I think we should aim for top spot. I'm being very optimistic here but this is how I think things could pan out.

Our remaining fixtures:
    Cyprus (A) 1 Point
    Italy (H) 3 Points
    Montenegro (H) 3 Points

Italy's remaining fixtures:
    Georgia (A) 3 Points (just)
    Bulgaria (H) 1 Point
    Ireland (A) 0 Points
    Cyprus (H) 1 Point

That would leave us a point ahead of Italy. OK, fine I'm being way too optimistic on thinking Italy will go the last three games without winning aren't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

No - we'll bomb out in the playoffs

Had to Google to see who Marcheda was. Doubt if Dunne will lose sleep about him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I would LOVE IT if we drew Switzerland and knocked them out.

I f**king hate the Swiss :mad:
    Haha would be pretty sweet alright :pac:

Personally I reckon we'll get play-offs. I think traps defensive approach could suit a two-legged affair but it will be close, no matter who we get it will be tough.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I personally thing they could qualify but them play offs is like russian roulette IMO it could possibly go either way , I would love to see it happen because everybody will get behind them and there be a great atmosphere around.

I know this is a bit of a cliche but if we can't beat Cyprus away, then we really shouldn't be in the world cup.

But I think we will beat them.

I don't think their attack is good enough to really test our defecnce in the form it's in and I think we'll get goals against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Noob alert...just got access to soccer recently so be kind:D

I think the most probable outcome of our last three fixtures will be:

Cyprus (A) Draw - We should win but cmon it is Cyprus in Nicosia:eek::eek: and we are Ireland playing away from home under Trapattoni...

Italy (H) Draw - Italy more than likely just need a draw to top the group at this stage. We'd have a huge incentive to really go out and attack a poor Italian team (by their high standards in comparison with past Italian sides) but I just can't see us beating them.
    When was the last time we beat a team ranked above us in the World rankings??(In a competitive fixture) I know we've beaten Denmark, Sweden and Portugal & possibly one or two more in the not so distant past, but all in friendlies....open to correction here but was it Holland in qualifying for the '02 World Cup?? We always seem to put in performances lauded for putting it up to the better teams, effort.. etc etc against the top teams, but we havn't really had the quality to put one of them away in a long time (hence being ranked 34th i suppose!)

Montenegro (H)Win - Given our tendancy to struggle at home under Trap, and keeping the defensive system at home against the lesser sides even when we need to win, we will probably just about scrape a win here. At this stage Montenegro won't have much to play for and realistically we should be looking to put them away.

5 pts in the bag should see us in 2nd place...

Don't know if the playoff draw will be as kind to us this time around (Iran for 2002 WC:D:D)

Looking at the current 2nd place teams I'd be happy with the Swiss (time for revenge), Hungary (Portugal likely to overtake them though) or Bosnia (Turks could possibly catch them too).

We should be confident of reaching the playoffs (pending on result of trip to Nicosia) & just hope for a slice of luck in the draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

We'll make the playoffs and that will be the end of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

sugarman wrote: »
    Maybe Stephen Carr to fill left back too if Finnan is out much longer.

Stephen Carr went into international retirement awhile back, for the second time. I don't think he'll be back.

• Advertisement

Walcott had very little real match experience when he fired 3 past Croatia away from home ffs. About the same age at the time and all.
    Sorry but can anyone think of an individual player from the other countries more likely than Marcheda to fcuk us up?
    Thought not. Alot of arse talking afoot. Luckily for the time being at least Lippi like many Italians before him sticks to his more mature squads, but Marcheda is without a doubt the most dangerous player any of our rivals have at their disposal.

Walcott had very little real match experience when he fired 3 past Croatia away from home ffs. About the same age at the time and all.
    Sorry but can anyone think of an individual player from the other countries more likely than Marcheda to fcuk us up?
    Thought not. Alot of arse talking afoot. Luckily for the time being at least Lippi like many Italians before him sticks to his more mature squads, but Marcheda is without a doubt the most dangerous player any of our rivals have at their disposal.

How exactly?

He isn't even in the squad FFS, hasn't even made an U-21 appearance for Italy. He has only made 2 PL starts, 2 apperances from the bench & 1 start in the FA Cup. Why exactly would Lippi call Macheda up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's his 'funny' way of taking a dig at Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

sugarman wrote: »
    Maybe Stephen Carr to fill left back too if Finnan is out much longer.

Finnan will be 35 by the time the WC starts and he's been injured for nearly a year. Carsley will be 36. Rory 'throw-in' Delap will be 34 and is not better than current options.

I imagine that their Ireland careers are over.

Hogspittle.

Walcott had plenty of experience of the England set-up and had been on the fringes of Arsenal's 1st team for ages.

In spite of Macheda's goalscoring heroics for ManUtd, nobody (including you, I would hazard) had even heard of him before the game v Villa.

Italy are World Champions and have an entire squad of experienced players who could hurt us.

Macheda is on his holidays. He might start 6-10 PL games for ManUtd next season. He might be watching the Ireland game on the telly...if he's allowed up that late:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hogspittle.

Walcott had plenty of experience of the England set-up and had been on the fringes of Arsenal's 1st team for ages.

In spite of Macheda's goalscoring heroics for ManUtd, nobody (including you, I would hazard) had even heard of him before the game v Villa.

Italy are World Champions and have an entire squad of experienced players who could hurt us.

Macheda is on his holidays. He might start 6-10 PL games for ManUtd next season. He might be watching the Ireland game on the telly...if he's allowed up that late:D

I had heard of him, as had any United fan that pays any attention, at all, to the promising players coming through the academy and reserve sides. I'm sure every club has a lot of fans that would know if the prospects coming through their club.

I had heard of him, as had any United fan that pays any attention, at all, to the promising players coming through the academy and reserve sides. I'm sure every club has a lot of fans that would know if the prospects coming through their club.

Apologies for the over-exaggeration....I'll be sure and take these things more seriously in future.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vokes wrote: »
    Eh....the ManU player? I think the likes of Dunne and O'Shea have proved themselves capable of going up against big players never mind a youth prospect.

His post has to be a piss take tbh. He didn't even spell his name properly.

Hogspittle.

What experience? He went on a jolly with them to Germany and played the odd friendly, that is about the height of it. He played bollix all for Arsenal.

Granted. S Ireland barely played regularly for City until roughly around the same time he started shining for the national side. He wasnt even a particularly highly rated player in England itself until slightly after the Grannygate affair if memory serves me right. It was still apparent from his Ireland appearances he was a classy player in the making.

Bollocks. They are a largely past it gang of chancers who coughed and stuttered their way through their qualifiers and Euro 08. They were shockingly bad. The last Italy match I watched sober was the Brazil game, they were found out by a Brazil squad who themselves have been having a rocky patch.

Im not even sure he will play. But if he does he is a dangerous prospect. Do you think Paul McShane is a better defender than Marceda is a better striker? We have already been shaken this time around by some Georgian nobody ever heard of, never mind one of the most promising young players in Europe.

This is so so so so lame.

We're trying to discuss Ireland's chances of qualifying and either by blind love of Man U or sheer ignorance of football in general you've turned it into a 'is the only Man U player left the biggest remaining threat' thread - joke.

Firstly, anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that the Italian left back, Grosso, is a much more worrying prospect to face, not to mention numerous other players like Vucinic.

Secondly, how exactly do you think Macheda is going to play his way into the national side by not playing for Man U?

Thirdly, your statment essentially amounts to 'Macheda is the most dangerous Italian footballer currently playing' - :pac::pac::pac:

Either you are really really very silly or you are a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Next person to mention 'Macheda' in this thread will be banned for off topic posting.

I'm serious.

Back on topic so.

The more i think about it the more confidant I become of us going through in a two legged playoff.

Obviously we could get a nightmare draw but even so, this team seems to be improving with every game and with another 3 and the training sessions that go with them plus the hopeful return of S.Reid, I think we'd be able for most of the second place teams.

Since Trap arrived, our form has gotten better and better and we've still a lot of time on our side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

When is S. Reid due to be fit again?

I thought Tom Humphries article in the Irish Times yesterday was good, basically saying it shouldn't work, but it seems to (I can dig it up if anyone really wants it). A midfield pairing of Whelan and Andrews, St Ledger in defence, and Folan upfront should be inadequate for playing the likes of Bulgaria and Italy. Yet Trap seems to get a performance out of them, not a spectacular performance alright, but a performance nonetheless. Never has the term "grinding out results" been more appropriate. If we can keep doing this, we'll make it. That said, it's a very fine line between "grinding out 1-1 draws" and "conceding a last minute goal and losing 2-1".

Tom65 wrote: »
    When is S. Reid due to be fit again?

I thought Tom Humphries article in the Irish Times yesterday was good, basically saying it shouldn't work, but it seems to (I can dig it up if anyone really wants it). A midfield pairing of Whelan and Andrews, St Ledger in defence, and Folan upfront should be inadequate for playing the likes of Bulgaria and Italy. Yet Trap seems to get a performance out of them, not a spectacular performance alright, but a performance nonetheless. Never has the term "grinding out results" been more appropriate. If we can keep doing this, we'll make it. That said, it's a very fine line between "grinding out 1-1 draws" and "conceding a last minute goal and losing 2-1".

The results are testament to his managerial abilities, being able to get points away to Italy and Bulgaria with the quality of player at his disposal is an achievement in itselft. The whole > sum of the parts and all that jazz.

We've conceded so many late goals in the past (Macedonia:mad::mad:), it's great to see us finally able to hold onto a result when we need it, although as you said there is a fine line between 1-1 and another Zinedine howler late on to make that 2-1.

As for Reid's return, i think he should be back close to the start of the next PL season. This was the best i could find.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1118/republic-of-ireland/2009/03/27/1178496/blackburn-rovers-midfielder-steven-reid-dreams-of-ireland-return

Next person to mention 'Macheda' in this thread will be banned for off topic posting.

I'm serious.

We might as well ban constant discussion of whether our midfield is too sh1t or not.

Or whether Cyprus can take us.

Or pretty much anything. I fronted an opinion (namely that our main big worry is an injection of talented youth into the sluggish Italians fronted by overated types from middling leagues like Luca Toni), people disagreed, I argued my point rather successfully , then its the end of it (a point, I may add, that out in the real world everyone Ive mentioned it to has agreed with). The thread title was whether we think we can make it to SA. My response was if he comes to Dublin and is faced with the might of McShane and S Kelly, or even Dunne and Finnan, we may drop points. It is not remotely off topic- all discussion (mine at least) related to him recreating his recent form against the Irish squad. As said, I doubt Lippi will pick him, but he should certainly have him in the squad.
    gosplan wrote: »
    either by blind love of Man U .

:pac: :pac: :pac:

I need a wash after that one.

There is no emoticon to express how much I despise Man Utd, doesnt mean I cant rate a player ffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement