Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice Ideas

Options
  • 07-06-2009 6:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions of rice dishes that can be served hot or cold for lunches, mainly.

I absolutely love pasta, would eat it every day if I could but I'm not really supposed to eat wheat. I'm looking for any ideas to make rice more interesting so I can replace pasta salads or my quick fix favourite, pasta with butter and cheese with a rice based dish which will sit better with me.

I was thinking maybe some kind of fried rice dish or something with soy sauce? I'm not really in to rice (always get roti with curries instead, need to stop that!) but would love to have something to replace all my pasta eating,

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

A "Salade Nicoise" ?

Cook and cool rice. Add things like sweetcorn, tomatoes, cheese dice, peppers, ... and season with a nice vinaigrette (proportion 1 tbsp oil, 1/2 tbsp vinegar, salt and pepper).

Mmm ... (Actually, haven't had this in a while - it's giving me ideas for the next meal! :)).

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i usually do a tuna and rice salad. add also sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes, cucumber (and anything else you feel like). make a strong mustard vinaigrette. deeelicious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you just want light, salady ideas, or any type of rice-based dish?

Egg-fried rice with vegetables and optional bacon, with soy sauce, is a staple of my diet. It's pretty quick and easy.

Some other rice dishes would be paella and jambalaya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Faith wrote: »
    Do you just want light, salady ideas, or any type of rice-based dish?

Egg-fried rice with vegetables and optional bacon, with soy sauce, is a staple of my diet. It's pretty quick and easy.

Some other rice dishes would be paella and jambalaya.

Anr rice recipes would be handy but I'm particularly thinking about lunches. I'm finding making a lunch with no bread or pasta a bit tough. I've been bringing leftovers but that's not always practical and can get a bit boring. Just looking for ways to make rice a bit tastier!

Thanks for all the help everyone. Some good ideas here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I love this recipe for egg fried rice - I normally make one big batch for dinner and bring for lunch for a couple of days after.
    Or you could try something like Savoury rice?
    Or maybe Biryani - Biryani is personally my fav dish when I go for an Indian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also, try varying the kind of rice you use.
    I commonly cook Thai fragrant, brown Thai fragrant, Japanese (sushi) rice, Red cargo rice, Basmati, Brown Basmati, Brown long grain, Arborio, wild and pretty much any other type I can find.

The only type of rice I never cook is white long grain (too much Uncle Ben's flavourless white stuff over the years)

And learn to cook rice by the absorption method - it retains its own flavour that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rice and peas - the Carribbean pilaf - the peas in the title are kidney beans but borlotti make a good substitute - use a light coconut milk or only half a can. I cook the rice separately, fry the onion, garlic and chilli (I use scotch bonnet sparingly and always deseeded), add the thyme and coconut milk and reduce the liquid. Then add the rice and beans. The dish should be dry with the flavours of coconut milk rather than swimming in lots of liquid.

You could also try and recreate the special fried rice dishes common in Chinese takeaways - use small amounts of chicken, pork and prawns, garlic chilli, onion, carrot, peas and bean shoots. A little chinese curry paste into a mixture of stir fried meats and veg to give flavour, again you don't want it wet so a couple of tablespoons of water to loosen the curry paste before adding the rice.

I find american long grain rice is best for these king of pilafs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

watna, if you're not supposed to eat wheat you can't use soy sauce unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

jdivision wrote: »
    watna, if you're not supposed to eat wheat you can't use soy sauce unfortunately

Thanks, didn't know that. I'm not being too strict with it though - just avoiding very wheaty things, mainly pasta and bread and other baked goods (which you can just make yourself using rice flour anyway - I actually prefer rice flour to wheat flour now.)

Things with a small amount of wheat/gluten in them are alright. I did find out recently that ham from a deli counter, for sandwiches and things has whey in it. Never would have even though to look for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

rice cakes--many types many styles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭worded

Mix cooked barley in with rice dishes. Barley is delicious mixed with rice.

Advertisement