Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering with Childline???

• 07-06-2009 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering has anyone every volunteered with childline?
    I am considering it at the moment because I would like to do something worthwhile and have a bit more time on my hands. Just wondering would it be very hard to be listening to the type of problems that would be coming in, what type of support would be available etc
    any advice greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

A good friend of mine volunteered with Childline and found it very difficult - the majority of people don't last. You need to go through a serious vetting process and a training course that takes a few weeks.
    Seemingly the majority of callers are prank callers and they especially need people for Friday nights and weekends, which is when prank callers are most active. You have to treat all calls like a real call (even when you hear a bunch of kids sniggering in the background) and occasionally a prank call turns into a real call.
    Childline in Ireland have a non-invasive approach, which means that they don't give advice or anything: they are just there to listen and encourage kids to come up with their own solutions. This is great if a kid is being bullied or something but can be very frustrating if they have genuine problems outside of their control (such as abusive parents) and my friend found that very difficult to deal with. Because calls are anonymous there's no point in going to the police.
    But this is the exception - most calls seem to be prank calls or kids or just want somebody to talk their issues out with.
    As far as I know they do have someone there to support volunteers as they know it's difficult.

You would volunteer for the ISPCC and they decide to assign you to Childline if that's where they need the help.
    It's a pity Childline receives so many prank calls because it stops real calls coming through and is a terrible waste of funding

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

I tried to volunteer with childline and feel I would have been able for it and have no problems giving up my (very busy:rolleyes:) weekends, but after an initial call to tell me that I was on their list for training in March, I never heard back. Apparently I should have chased it up but I was busy with college at the time.
    Would still like to do it though, so if you hear any more about it OP could you let me know please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Well I wasn't personally involved but I did get the impression that they have a lot of applications (mainly from people looking to bolster their CV) although it's strange that they didn't contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Well i wanted to do it coz having a child makes you wonder how anyone can hurt them. I assumed they didnt get back to me because they had so many applicants as a result of the recession. Anyway, if the op has any luck or updated info, perhaps they could let us know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

I have volunteered with Childline but since i am only 19, I'm not allowed to have an active role in it.

My role was collecting money on the street, It was much better than it sounds.
    The woman who met up with us was really lovely, She gave us our collection boxes, Stickers and Badges, which people bought.

I got 2 of my friends to help and the time flew, It was good fun and we raised over €500 in 6 hours.
    Since it is voluntary work, We knew we wouldn't get paid or anything but The woman gave us some free meal vouchers for MacDonalds (Who are a main sponsor of the ISPCC) which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rightforyou

If you're interested in volunteering, you should come along to an information evening. You can get in touch with the head office at 01 676 7960 and they will put you through to the right people. There are a huge variety of calls that come in to Childline. Sometimes kids are having a laugh, which is fine. It takes a lot of courage to talk and sometimes it's hard for kids. Keep in mind you can also volunteer for Childline Online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

A friend Volunteered with Childline for a year or so and found it tough. There was a long vetting process and a lot of trainign but he found it immensly rewarding. One of Childline's biggest problems is Lack of funding which means the service isn't always available, even if you can't volunteer with them perhaps you could help by making a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

I volunteer with Childline. Seoid is right about not many people lasting, but I think that has more to do with people finding it hard to give up four hours of their time every week (which is what you are asked to do) when they're working fulltime. The vetting process is garda vetting; you just fill out the form and send it off. It takes at least 12 weeks to come through so you can't go on the phones until it does, but you can do the training which takes eight weeks (usually every saturday from 10 to 5). The training was wonderful fun and I met a great bunch of people. However, being on the phones is quite different. The vast majority of calls are pranks (which can get a bit withering after a while) but when a child rings with a problem (doesn't neccessarily have to be a big problem) and you're there to listen and it makes them feel better, that makes it all worthwhile. Aside from pranks and the kids who have problem calls, sometimes kids just ring to chat and that is nice. Sometimes the prank calls turn into a great chat with the kids, it all depends. And Childline do get the occasional tough call where you come off the phone shaking but you're taught to deal with it during the training and you receive great support. And if the child so wishes it, you can help but I'd rather not give any more info on that. It's something you'll be told about anyway if you do decide to go ahead with it. For what it's worth, I'm glad I volunteered with Childline. :)

Best of luck whatever you decide. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mercer

hey

i volunteer with Children in Hospitals Ireland on the cardiology ward in Crumlin hospital. I only do two hours a week because i'm starting my thesis.
    Its really great, I spend some time with children who may be in isolation, or some children will come down to the play room and we all do arts and crafts, or play some games. it takes their minds off illness and also lets them just be young, as sometimes they are around doctors/nurses too much and loose their sense of youth, especially if they are longterm in hospital. they are lovely children and its great for the parents to get a break from the ward for awhile.
    i had never worked with children before so I was really nervous but it was fine and i really love it now.

best of luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Looks like they are taking on recruits nationwide at the moment ispcc.ie so now is a good time to apply to volunteer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement