Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n97 or omnia hd (or 8910i) - help me decide

• 07-06-2009 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

help me choose

my primary requirements are in the following order

a fast mobile (pocketable) browsing experience
    calender
    push email
    good quality camera
    and of course a phone

I've got an old Sony Ericsson P1 - great phone (in it's day, but it's a little long in the tooth now and has been seriously battered over the last few years)

I had been holding out for the sony ericsson Xperia but SE decided to use win mobile (the devils own smartphone operating system of choice) and everyone i spoke to slammed it ......so I waited longer to upgrade

and then summer of the smartphone happens

the nokia n97
    samsung omnia hd 8910i
    palm pre (no GSM version yet and no news on Irish release yet)
    next gen iphone (not released yet)
    HTC touch 2 (lukewarm reviews)

I've narrowed it down to either the n97 or the omnia both using the same s60 version 5 operating system

neither perfect but ....

omnia has a faster processor but no physical slide out keyboard
    the n97 has a resistive rather than a cool sensitive capacitive screen
    nokia has the ovi store and plenty of 3rd party apps (after an initial shaky launch I believe it'll get better)
    not sure if the samsung has an apps store although I'm guessing it'll use the same apps
    n97 has a great widget based home screen where you can have direct access to facebook weather email and twitter too I'm sure when the developers catch up
    omnia is the only phone to capture hi-res video

the bottom line is they're both pretty cool devices but a choice has to be made

and then it's just a case of sourcing online

what do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

eske wrote: »
    the bottom line is they're both pretty cool devices but a choice has to be made

and then it's just a case of sourcing online

what do you guys think?
    To be honest, I would say it boils down to whether you prefer a handset with a slide-out keyboard or not. The N97 would seem the better option if you did want a keyboard, however, if you were fine with an on-screen keyboard, then the OmniaHD would be the better choice.

Personally, as I prefer a physical keyboard over an on-screen one, I would go for the N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

actually I'm not too pushed about the keyboard
    I'm more concerned that the lower spec processor in the n97 isn't up to the task
    and the resistive screen is a let down
    and the camera is the same as the n95 (come on nokia - it's a flagship model what's going on)
    then again I like the home screen and tidy widgets on the n97
    the home screen on the omnia HD seems a little messy

I though I'd get a definitive answer from the reviews on the Really Mobile Project or All About Symbian but I'm still on the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm more concerned that the lower spec processor in the n97 isn't up to the task
    and the camera is the same as the n95 (come on nokia - it's a flagship model what's going on)

I though I'd get a definitive answer from the reviews on the Really Mobile Project or All About Symbian but I'm still on the fence

If you don't mind not having a keyboard then the OmniaHD would be better for you. As you mentioned, the specs of the N97 leave a lot to be desired when compared directly against the OmniaHD. If the OmniaHD had a keyboard, I would probably get it myself, but as I mentioned before, the keyboard is a deal breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Which of these is more important to you?

you're probably right

• Advertisement

I've never had a samsung mobile before (although I love my samsung tv)

do you guys know if there is a samsung apps store equivalent (like the nokia ovi store or the apple apps store)?

Am I right in assuming that anything that will run on the n97 would run on the omnia? the gravity twitter app for example?

they both have the same s60v5 operating system

Advertisement