Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidised visit to European Parliment

Options
  • 07-06-2009 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question. I couldn't think of anywhere more appropriate.

I've heard in the past that a subsidy is available to take a trip over to the European parliament, see your MEP, attend a session of the parliament etc. I know several older people who(usually with a small group) have said they were going to this. Cost was just €100-€200 euro for 4-5 days, and they had all sorts of tours of the city and parliment services as part of it.

However, I've tried googling etc for this and can't find anything anywhere on this. It's possible that it was some group they're members of(they were all older people) who provided the subsidy, but teh way it was explained, it was the EU, the govt, or the MEP who provided the subsidy...

Does anyone know if this actually exists and how one goes about applying for it?

Thanks,
    Fona

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Could have been this?

If there's a scheme, open to all, that subsidises people to go and visit the parliament, I'll eat my hat (after I get back).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Nope not that scheme or anything like it. Like I said, the people who mentioned it to me were all retired, or close to it, and none mentioned a competition.

They had a meal hosted by their MEP, which, googling that, I can find references to, for example, retired nurses association, having had a trip hosted by their MEP.

So perhaps its through your MEP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

fona wrote: »
    ... So perhaps its through your MEP?

I think it is, but I don't know a great deal about it.

Two people I know have been on such trips. One is retired, and it was arranged for the active retirement group of which she is a member. I have a vague memory that she mentioned their being the guests of Padraig O Neachtain. The other is a member of several conservative Catholic organisations. He went on a trip arranged by Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The people to phone would be the Parliament office in Dublin.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement