Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a WiFi/Wlan enabled mobile

• 07-06-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Possibly silly question, but here goes anyway, looking to get a new mobile have narrowed down to 2 or 3, nokia5800, samsung pixon, or a samsung tocco light (if its ever released by my provider).

Now i'm aware the pixon has no wifi, not sure about the tocco light. Not bothered about using internet on my mobile, mainly due to the data costs and i also have a broadband on my lappy via a USB dongle from my mobile provider.

This is where my interest in the wifi comes in. I'm asumming if you are using the mobiles built in wifi you are connecting to the broadband provided by the hotspot, ie. The shop, Airport, Street, your mates wireless router when round at his house, etc, and you are not paying your own provider for any of the data received/sent.

Sounds obvious but no harm in asking.

:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

That is correct. You can connect to all wifi networks same as on the computer. The normal speed on a mobile phone would be less than on a computer, but you wouldn't notice any difference if you don't download heavy files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You will have to pay for most of the hotspots though, if you have eircom broadband 7mb you get to use their nationwide hotspots free which might be usefull for you, or if you have a slower service you can pay a small fee. Ofcourse you wont have to pay anything in your mates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

flodis79 wrote: »
    That is correct. You can connect to all wifi networks same as on the computer. The normal speed on a mobile phone would be less than on a computer, but you wouldn't notice any difference if you don't download heavy files.
    Davy wrote: »
    You will have to pay for most of the hotspots though, if you have eircom broadband 7mb you get to use their nationwide hotspots free which might be usefull for you, or if you have a slower service you can pay a small fee. Ofcourse you wont have to pay anything in your mates etc.

cheers guys, as said, not fussed bout getting the internet on the phone, but the reviews on the seem to be edging in the favour of the nokia compared to the samsungs, as it has wifi, i'd probably end up using it when on holiday or if away from the laptop and in or near a free hopspot, freinds/family router. only thing about the nokia, it seems to be marketed as a music phone, hope this doesn't take away from the other features on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Its the kinda thing you'd never miss until you had it I think.

If you have broadband at home you could try VoIP with Blueface or someone for the craic , the phone will automatically switch from GSM/3g to wifi if you tell it to.

You can set up a bunch of Access Point profiles so when you are near them again , it will hook itself up

Advertisement