Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving my car to oz.. well maybe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Heres a good thread on importation costs - I gave up on the idea when I saw how much it was working out at and stuck my cars into storage. Ended up buying another BMW here which was about 3/4 times more expensive than the irish equivalent :(

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=139&t=526846&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Importing%20a%20car%20to%20Australia%20-%20All%20the%20facts...%20Hopefully!&mid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I may be biased regarding my car but I don't think I'd find an equivalent as nice in Ireland. Sure, cars are expensive over here but they hold their value too. If I didn't have use for my car in Ireland I would probably get rid of it. It gets used though so would rather keep it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

kdevitt wrote: »
    Heres a good thread on importation costs - I gave up on the idea when I saw how much it was working out at and stuck my cars into storage. Ended up buying another BMW here which was about 3/4 times more expensive than the irish equivalent :(

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=139&t=526846&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Importing%20a%20car%20to%20Australia%20-%20All%20the%20facts...%20Hopefully!&mid=0

Be careful in Australia .... When you drive a BMW/Audi here you are still assumed to be a Banker but you do not have the special licence endorsment that you get in Ireland.

You will have to use you Indicators. (They are on the Steering Column)
    You will have to obey the Speed Limits.
    You cannot overtake using the BMW/Audi "Around Corner X-Ray Vision"
    You cannot park anywhere you like.
    You are not allowed to just drive in Transit/Bus Lanes.
    Other traffic does not automatically have to give way to you.

So it is really hard to justify the higher prices here without the special priviledges that are included elsewhere. :rolleyes:

CabanSail wrote: »
    So it is really hard to justify the higher prices here without the special priviledges that are included elsewhere. :rolleyes:
    I manage to justify it to myself.:D Haven't noticed any reverse snobbery either. I still receive the same level of courtesy as if I'm driving the various other POS I drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

CabanSail wrote: »
    Be careful in Australia .... When you drive a BMW/Audi here you are still assumed to be a Banker but you do not have the special licence endorsment that you get in Ireland.

I am a banker - and given that the driving here is just as bad as Ireland, I'll continue to save money on indicator bulbs for the forseeable future. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I Dunno, the main advantage of driving a BMW is that when people ask you which is better, Ford or Holden, you can laugh in their faces and inform them that they Obviously know Fack all about Cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I drive a Landrover Defender. The battle of the brands in the 4WD circles is between Toyota & Nissan. When someone starts to preach to me about the superiority of their vehicle I just say "Hmmm... that's one of those Japanese one's isn't it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I used to think folk who drive 4WDs were the biggest **** on the roads, and now I am one :D

Very few road users fancy taking on the roo bars ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh yeah Xavi, People resent 4WD's because they dont have one ;) its great when tryin to nse yer way out into traffic, Even better in mine cos they are Very old, therefore I give not a **** if you hit one, my Landcruiser is 2.5 Ton of Steel, your average Hyundai is 20KG of Glass and Plastic, I Will Win that contest

I have a Landcruiser in Ireland and I prefer the Audi because it's nicer to drive. I think I may have got my purchases back to front though because I would enjoy the Landcruiser for some off-roading over here.

• Advertisement

I need to buy a Road Car as I don't like having the Defender on the road. It is meant to be Off Road. Mine is definitely not one of those Main Street Banker 4WD's

I thought about bringing the Landcruiser over but it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikester21

Ya I got a quote of £1057 to ship my RX8 over from Southhampton to Sydney, I was soo tempted after seeing the price of the car here but the import fees and registering costs seem way too high so I ended up buying a 97 Lancer to get me around, my baby is still parked up at home :( the only thing I miss really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

paulhannon wrote: »
    Do you have the website you got this from please?
    Im looking at doing the same.

thanks

Cant remember the company, that was a blast from the past seeing that again.

My mate left his Audi RS3 at home and bought a "better value" local car as he felt the costs and hassle were a bit much to ship. Biggest mistake he ever made. The indirect costs of the loss you incur leaving your car behind cos of the current poor car market needs to be factored in.

Then ther is the hassle of getting back into the car market, gaining finance if yoy have not got PR, ( a nightmare for me I got mate to sponsor me in the end ) and the worry of buying a new car and not knowing about the possible hassles of it when you have a perfectly good and loved one at home.

He massively regrets not bringing it and in hindsight the costs all up were not as bad when he assessed from home.

Only reason I did not ship mine was cos it had no AC plus it was the 1.8l and after driving across Oz for 3 months in a POS 4.2l Falcon I at leaset knoew I would be need ing a 6cyl.

Bought a 325Ci in the end and really happy with it, I tried many local cars and Jap cars and Im sorry you just cannot compete with German cars.

I have owned Avensis, I thoiugh it was great at the time, Falcon, Megane, Punto yadda yadda yadda but now Im on my 3rd BMW Ci only changing the year and engine as I go. The perfefct car !

Plus it was tested with 4 adults and a bay seat, stroller and bags and passed the family test.....

You get what youj pay for and its pointless comparing the price of Euro cars here with at home cos there is a very strong (lack of ) economic force drving prices down the way they are. In the boom they were still poison expenssive !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

just nosing in on this thread, and I think you should all post pics of your motors in Aus!! :cool:

Advertisement