Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai Asylum Thread Locked.

Options
  • 07-06-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

I`ve been away followin a PC hiccup and am most disappointed to find the "Pamela Izevbekhai-should she be deported" thread locked.

The viewing and participation figures for this thread alone demonstrate a high degree of interest in both the specific and general issue`s covered therein.

It would appear that the thread was locked subsequent to a few rather exotic and wide ranging postings on the desireability of a "Free" world devoid of any borders,physical,cultural or emotional.

However,given the emotive nature of the topic I felt that the Thread had demonstrated an all-too-rare sense of rational and reasoned discussion which most certainly is absent from the "Media" organs.

The Mod does say it can be reopened upon new developments in the case,but I`m of the opinion that the case is ongoing until the Supreme Court delivers it`s judgement and as such should remain open to all interested parties to post their 2c worth (Subject to the normal constraints ) ??

Any views from the huddled masses...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

well I think everyone was sick of the thing being talked to death. I'm sure it will happen with every other similar case, until our left wing government eventually doesnt have the money to bend over backwards indulging chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Why would a quite wealthy woman leave her home and come to this poxy island to live on less than €20.00 a week?

Very strange too that out of a population of 900,000 in the catchment area for the hospital in question there were only 55 registered births. Available to be examined. There's an irish Embassy there, why the hell did they bother sending guards in the first place.

Unokanjo IMO is a very suspect character in the first place, he was even expecting to get payed for the affidavit that was presented here...

And Left Wing government? Cop on man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

studiorat wrote: »
    Why would a quite wealthy woman leave her home and come to this poxy island to live on less than €20.00 a week?
    She is an economic migrant rather than a genuine asylum seeker. The permanent social welfare benefits for her family and Irish passports are the attractions.
    Very strange too that out of a population of 900,000 in the catchment area for the hospital in question there were only 55 registered births.
    Read the thread again. The register in question was the record of deaths over a specific period. The forged document was listed as the 56th death cert.
    Available to be examined. There's an irish Embassy there, why the hell did they bother sending guards in the first place.
    Because this was effectively an investigation into suspect documentation and suspected fraud. It turned out that the documentation was indeed forged and the multiple characters that had been used to fool RTE Radio's head of its "investigative" unit Boucher-Hayes, a bunch of "journalists" in the Irish media and some interviewer on a West coast local radio station were not the actual doctor.
    Unokanjo IMO is a very suspect character in the first place, he was even expecting to get payed for the affidavit that was presented here...
    Again, read the thread. It was the interview with the Sunday Times where the payment issue arose. It seems that at least a forged death certificate and a forged affidavit from Unokanjo was used as the basis of her seemingly endless appeals. And those forged documents were submitted to the Supreme Court.

Many of those who had supported PI initially drifted away after the confirmation of forged documentation being used as the basis for the case. Some were torn up by conflicting emotions. Other of her "supporters" were purely using the case to push their own ideology. The thread got derailed somewhat towards the end with "one world" nutjobbery and idiotic "monkey" insults being thrown at posters, the Irish and Europeans in place of carefully reasoned arguments. There probably will be another thread when the case is heard before the Supreme Court in the next few months.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Please don't try to turn this thread into a continuation of the old one. It's been going around in circles for well over a year at this point between the two sides. You're not going to agree with or convince each other, why waste time posting about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's been going around in circles for well over a year at this point between the two sides. You're not going to agree with or convince each other, why waste time posting about it?

Perhaps,however I tend to see this forum as being based on a DISCUSSION principle.
    I felt that the original thread was a fine example of that very aspect,surprisingly so,given the emotive nature of the case.

I just see the locking of the thread as surendering the reins to the FEW posters who having been wrong footed by the antics of the Izevbekhai camp then fell back on a Monty Pythonist "One Big Free World" position.

One other item which surfaced in the past few days,and which impacts upon the impression of Nigeria as described by some pro-Izevbakhai posters,was the revelation that when the Nigerian Government was informed of the situation surrounding the disgraced Doctor Michael Shine it Immediately banned him from entering the country,where he was actively involved in "Charitable Causes".

It could be argued that in responding in such a decisive manner,the Nigerian Authorities displayed far more moral courage and leadership than any of the many Irish Governments through the decades ?

It also underlines to me the need for US to accept the NIgerian Governments assurances re the Izevbekhai family`s safety upon their return to their home country.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

AlekSmart wrote: »

I just see the locking of the thread as surendering the reins to the FEW posters who having been wrong footed by the antics of the Izevbekhai camp then fell back on a Monty Pythonist "One Big Free World" position.

I totally agree, but it is a tactic that is used by some posters to have threads closed that are against the grain of their 'ideological principles'. Among the tactics is antagonizing other posters but within 'the terms' of the charter and guidelines. Unfortunately, you will have posters who take the bait and it descends into an off-topic free-for-all.

I am concerned (but not surprised) that boards suppressed further discussion on the Izevbekhai case by locking the thread. All that was required was a 'back on topic' request (with bans for failure to comply). It suits them to have the topic 'go away'.

What needs to be remembered is that there is a tiny fraction of the population who espouse their 'unrealistic' views on the media and forums. 'Unrealistic' here is anything that goes against 'common sense'. But politicians believe that their numbers are greater than actuality and respond accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

her legal team resigned from the case because she lied about a dead child

then she decided to blame her husband

we have no direct flights from nigeria, why did the lady not apply at the country in europe she flew into, holland i think

you are supposed to apply at the first port of call

the entire asylum application and appeal process is funded by legal aid,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

you are supposed to apply at the first port of call

There is no requirement that an application for asylum must be made in the first 'safe' country arrived in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59465073&postcount=3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh look. People from both sides of the argument continuing the argument.

I suggest taking the desolé re the locked thread to Feedback (or the Help Desk).

As for those of you who decided they just wanted to continue the same argument with the same arguments of a year ago (and for some of you, worse still, with inaccurate and ill-informed arguments from a year ago), I'm very disappointed in you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement