Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XTREAMER media player - too good to be true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That looks good
    May get one for the bedroom ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

looks like a great device if its legit, supports flash aswell. The ac ryan playon! hd is meant to use the chip and it seems fast browsing the interface. Uses a realtek chip and not sigma like popcorn hour etc which i found very slow.

videos of xtreamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-syuI8NBVU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yk2dkctVF8

the ac ryan playon! hd uses he same chip so should be very similar
    http://playonhd.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!454A6850F2AFC553!132.entry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

anyone heard any more about the Xtreamer??
    I'd be interested to see if it lives up to the hype and the specs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Review here http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Reviews/reviews/review_xtreamer.pdf

Sounds very promising to me.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

I ordered one yesterday. From reading the previews and some early reviews it looks like a pretty good device. I was on the verge of buying the WDTV but was put off by the lack of networking capabilities and no support for an internal hard-drive. I agree that this seems too good to be true but early reports from the first shipment say its great. The only downside is that its internal fan is supposed to be quite noisey but it is promised to be fixed in future firmware (apparently...!). I think I could live with the noise.!!!

The first batch sold out quickly. I am in line for the second batch which are supposed to be delivered end of this month early next. They are selling like hotcakes.... I'll report back here when I get it.

Rats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I hear there are a lot of them held up in Belgium customs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The developers of the Xtreamer are rowing with the YAMJ development teamover the formers use of the latters codebase.

got mine today, no import duty luckily. Fan is a bit noisy even on low with latest firmware, but you wouldnt notice it watching films. Menus are fast, a lot faster than when i had hdx1000 whichis just a popcorn hour clone. Definitely recommend it so far anyways, played any 1080p mkv i've tried so far..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Glad you're pleased with altough I have to say fan noise would be a deal breaker for me - I've got a fanless (but very hot :eek:) wdtv. How would the noise compare with an xbox 360 which I had been using to stream media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

got mine today, no import duty luckily. Fan is a bit noisy even on low with latest firmware, but you wouldnt notice it watching films. Menus are fast, a lot faster than when i had hdx1000 whichis just a popcorn hour clone. Definitely recommend it so far anyways, played any 1080p mkv i've tried so far..

Hows it working out Kaiser? Are u streaming content over the network or just playing media direct onto it? Ive just ordered one today, been looking for something that will stream wireless and when I seen the wireless USB antennas are free for the next two weeks i decided to get one. 120euro inc shipping is a smashing price if it does everything its meant to...nice promo vid aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1emJdtjyWY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

allybhoy wrote: »

I'm surprised to see their promotional video showing blatantly pirated content, they haven't even made any attempt to disguise the sources LOL

fan is probably too noisy in the first batch but i think i read in the forums there using different fans for the 2nd batch (check the forums to confirm though).

didnt try the wireless as it wouldnt be good enough for HD. Just streamed over network cable and that worked fine.

Any problems at all they just blame someone else (they blamed the company who made the pr video for using pirated material). The website is a copy and paste of lots of other websites (so they blamed the company who made the website for them).

But the player itself is great value and i think its a much better option that the wdtv. I actually sold mine though as while i was waiting for it to arrive i realised i wanted xbox media center more with a fancy interface so got an asrock ion 330 and put xbmc on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

kaisersose77, where did you buy the asrock ion 330 ?

a seller on ebay.co.uk, with a name like envisage

you have to ask them about shipping to Ireland, think it was about £19

they were the cheapest seller i could find, but price might have went up now. It was up £220 when i bought it. Watch for other sellers who sell it for just as much without harddrive or ram. If your willing to spend more, i think its a much better option than the likes of xtreamer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone whose bought one of these I'd be keen to see how they work and how people find them? Looks like something i'd be interested in myself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Hmm, thought I put up a review already, never mind...

I bought one. Had a little bit of an issue getting it online via WiFi and stable and had to read a lot on the forums http://forum.xtreamer.net/ I reccomended a friend of mine to get one aswell and he had similar issues with the WiFi and reading from the forums it seems to be a common issue as the adapter is a tad flaky but there are ways around it, just takes a lot of messing around with FW's and WEP keys or MAC Filtering and changing the channel on your AP.

The only other drawback I would have is that the remote feels fairly cheap and the range on it is pretty rubbish. You have to point it EXACTLY at the device otherwise it wont work, which can be frustrating at times, especially if you have it high up on a shelf like I do. to combat this they have developed an app for your iphone that works exactly like the remote, but unless you have an iPhone your stuck with it unless they make a new remote for it.

But apart from those issues it works a charm and streams perfectly, just if Ethernet or even homeplugs is an option id strongly reccomend that. I dont have a local HD in it so just use it to stream from a NAS and a PCH A110 and have to say it does it perfectly. It only takes 2.5" internal disks however you can connect 2 external usb drives. Ive also attached full 1080p HD files up to it and played them locally just to see what the resolution was like and its flawless. The OS on them is pretty cool and it has a few nice features that my PCH doesnt have like subtitle selection in MKV and auto preview of video files etc.

For the money I dont think there is a better product on the market, however if it was me and I hadnt got a media player already, I would personally splash out a bit more cash and go for an A200.

http://www.popcornhour.es/popcornhour_A200

I just think its a better product all round, and I have yet to meet anyone who has any PCH who has said it isnt money well spent. The build quality, OS, aftersale support and all round feel of the device is just superior (IMO).

Advertisement