Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party been Wiped out locally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Villain

Yeah I don't think the Government fully realise that to have excellent people in third and fourth level institutes is that you need to cater for them in primary and secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Derlighted. What the hell does a country of 4 million people need a green party for anyway? Sure be environmental but there's no need for such a huge emphasis on it.
    Maybe that will come across as ignorant. I'm not suggesting we abandon green issues but we have to be realistic globally we don't have a big enough effect that we should make green issues a priority. Economics, health and social issues are more important (not necissarily (sp?) in that order).

It does come across as really ignorant but what the hell - who says dinosaurs are extinct. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This all comes down to their greed and impatience to get into power (and not just the front bench, but also the membership who voted in the convention to go into coalition with FF)

They went into a coalition with the devil under the worst possible conditions (Bertie's corruption was apparent, economy about to collapse, they didn't even hold the balance of power because the government had spare numbers without them) and every political decision they made since then dug themselves deeper into that hole.

They have been decimated in this election and they still refuse to admit that they made a mistake.

If they had not joined FF, then they would be in power now in a new coalition govt with FG and Labour and would have more TDs and Councillors than they had after the last GE.

They would be in a position to rebuild Ireland's economy into the future as a green and sustainable one rather than waste their only chance in Govt as FF's mudguard.

History will look back and laugh at the terrible decisions that they made and that they only had themselves to blame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gormley was on the radio earlier saying he wouldn't be pulling out of government based on the disappointing election results for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Typical of the Greens the longer they hang on the more like FF they become.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »

They would be in a position to rebuild Ireland's economy into the future as a green and sustainable one

Whoever gets in to Power at the next GE should have this as one of their main policies.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Typical of the Greens the longer they hang on the more like FF they become.

The Government is an innocent mirror of the level of awareness or consciousness of the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dan Boyle is....worried about the budget. First shot fired.

mike65 wrote: »

There was me reading about the Irish American Mobser Danny Greene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Funny how he only got worried about it this weekend :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Akrasia wrote: »
    History will look back and laugh at the terrible decisions that they made and that they only had themselves to blame.
    It may be bad for them in the long run, but do you not think that they know this? You think that this may not have occurred to them?

The most cowardly thing they could do is pull out now.

I really don't understand why everyone is spitting feathers over the Greens when it's FF policies that have gotten us where we are. It really seems misplaced. Do people really think they deserved to get 6% of the vote while FF got 25% in local elections? Why is no one annoyed that 1 in 4 people still voted for FF??

The most cowardly thing they could do is pull out now.
    Actually people would respect them more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Funny how he only got worried about it this weekend :rolleyes:

Sorry its the next budget he is worried about, in other words FF are going to have to please the Greens in some way or dot dot dot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Why? I really don't understand this. Respect them more because they make a obviously strategic move to save their own asses for the next election? How is that worthy of respect? That's the sort of 'party before country' crap I despise in FF.

Sorry its the next budget he is worried about, in other words FF are going to have to please the Greens in some way or dot dot dot
    Well the budget will be the real test of their resolve. So there is a real chance of a walk out before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

seemingly John Gormley has said that the party intends to stay in government with FF despite whats happened

taconnol wrote: »
    Why? I really don't understand this. Respect them more because they make a obviously strategic move to save their own asses for the next election? How is that worthy of respect? That's the sort of 'party before country' crap I despise in FF.
    I would still expect them to be annihilated now in a GE. If they hang on they will only make their rehabilitation worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sully wrote: »
    Gormley was on the radio earlier saying he wouldn't be pulling out of government based on the disappointing election results for them.

Isn't there a ministerial pension you need four years served to be eligible for?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

20goto10 wrote: »
    It's a disgrace what is happening to the Greens. The level of ignorance in voters is all too aparant once again. Why should the Greens be punished for what Fiana Fail have done?

It is presumptuous of you to assume that intelligent people will automatically approve of the policies espoused by the Greens.

There are many highly intelligent people, who for example, do not believe in anthropogenic global warming

Green polices are fundamentally disastrous for employment and many people can see that and will vote accordingly.

Such policies can only be given lip service when economic times are rosy, in the current economic climate, they need to be packed away in a box and buried in the garden until a sunnier economic climate returns.
    The Greens are coming up with some great initiatives. There is big money in Green economics and to just brush it all aside as unimportant is just plain ignorance.
    The Greens are proposing the establishment of a nuclear power station? I didn't know that.

I do recall Gormley opposing a waste incinerator. Wow, what a far sighted greenie he is.

seemingly John Gormley has said that the party intends to stay in government with FF despite whats happened
    As Charlton Heston said "from my cold, dead hands"

• Advertisement

I would still expect them to be annihilated now in a GE. If they hang on they will only make their rehabilitation worse.

I know they would be annihilated in a GE - I just am asking why people would respect them more for pulling out of government out of interest for the party.

Cnocbui - you're talking crap on anthropogenic climate change. But even if you didn't believe in it, you can't argue with energy security, stability of supply and the economics of energy efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Anyone who thinks that the Green's got a pasting just because they are greens isn't seeing the full picture, I think anyone who voted for them last time around felt they were a bit of hope or change, however soon as they got a sniff of power they became the same as the party they despised the most.

Most people expected them to act almost as a 'conscience' for FF - yet they rolled over faster than someone waving a bone to a fat dog ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Yes they might.
    I didnt vote for the greens this time, because i wanted to send them a message. Not to send FF a message as i didnt vote for FF before anyway.

I want to see them now acknowledge that they understand why they got annihilated, by puling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Green Party been Wiped out locally

...... justice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I know they would be annihilated in a GE - I just am asking why people would respect them more for pulling out of government out of interest for the party.

Because by and large the people of this country want a GE. And by putting an end to the government and giving the people what they want will help to limit the damage done to their party.

A well orchestrated move by the greens will enable them to try and make themselves out as the heroes for ending the farce of a government. Their reasons may be selfish. But if the effect is pleasing the electorate then I don't see a problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Junior wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that the Green's got a pasting just because they are greens isn't seeing the full picture, I think anyone who voted for them last time around felt they were a bit of hope or change, however soon as they got a sniff of power they became the same as the party they despised the most.

Most people expected them to act almost as a 'conscience' for FF - yet they rolled over faster than someone waving a bone to a fat dog ..

Indeed, they've lost what core voters they had by the looks of things. Quite rightly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

OK can I ask one question of people who voted Green in the last GE and previous ones?

Did you vote Green to put FF into govt?
    Or imagine that your vote would have this effect?

For me the answer is no, and the rapidity with which Gormley et al jumped at the chance under the least auspicious circumstances (no balance of power etc) disgusted me. Still at least Gormley got that nice email address minister@enviroment.ie :rolleyes:

I am loathe to vote for them ever again, and previously my vote for them was a banker.

FWIW I think they'll do their damnest to hold out until next May - ministerial pensions after 3 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 G82

Bad times for the Greens. Probably the main reason they went into power was to get some reform to the planning laws that have destroyed large parts of urban and rural Ireland e.g. gombeen councilors going wholly against professional planning advice to change development plans to let their buddies build in unsuitable areas.

Also Ireland should be able to supply our own energy and selling surplus from the natural resources we have. Eamon Ryan is making progress with his portfolio in terms of communications aswell.

A first world rail service is also required throughout the country.

These things take time. Gormley doesn't want to jump ship until at least the planning reforms are passed - hopefully before the prolonged Dail Summer hols.

The policies that the Greens are pressing with are progressive, sound and needed.

Question is can they get the good things they are doing across to the public, pull out in a year or so and stay clear of the odious FF and not be decimated in a GE? Or maybe as some people have said they should have held fire from going in with FF and waited for a collapse. hindsight and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Did you hear George Lee on RTE this afternoon? For me, he nailed it on the head. the Greens have to decide whether they actually want to stay in power and betray what principles they have, or get out soon and rebuild so they may be electable in the election after next.

They have a choice short term gain and very possible annihialation of the party or take the pain now and build again for the medium term.

They fell right into Aherns trap - it was a win win situation for him, get them onside and that stopped some of the most vociferous opposition drawing attention to his dodginess. No more Planet Bertie anymore; his regime gets and extra mudguard and if that fails, sure people will blame the Greens.

Now they're surprised they find themselves in the situation they are in. Yet here we have some posters on here moaning about the fact that people didn't vote for them because they didn't know enough. Or Gormley going on about peoples "irrational" anger at the current regime.

Well it's like this, you lie down with dogs and don't be surprised when you get up with fleas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Junior wrote: »
    Agreed. I was hoping that they'd repeal the infamous 1998 cycle track regulations introduced by the PDs (which unpicked all the good cycle track laws and allowed driving and parking on cycel tracks). I was hoping they'd at least make sure that the few existing cycle facilitieswould be properly maintained.

Instead, they're promoting grandiose cycling projects like the S2S and the Velib thingies, of more use to tourists than to the average worker cycling to work.

Advertisement