Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping to ol French?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

ok i am thiniking about dropping to pass french put aomeone just told me that it was not possible to do once you have your oral done? anyone know either way for sure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

you can drop down to ol irish when you've the oral done so id say you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I'm sure it is possible;they just convert your oral to the pass equivalent AFAIK. I think I might be talking out of my ass though.

OL French is ridiculously easy, so you'll be well surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robdrog

Im in the same position, dropped down about a month ago and no its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I'm sure it is possible;they just convert your oral to the pass equivalent AFAIK. I think I might be talking out of my ass though.

OL French is ridiculously easy, so you'll be well surprised.
    ya i have done nothing in french since the oral and jesus the pass paper is fair easy in comparision... i have french wednesday too and want at least a B1 in that so that leaves no time for french study=pass french!

robdrog wrote: »
    Im in the same position, dropped down about a month ago and no its not a problem.
    good good, so no problems at all. what happens then do you just get extra marks for your oral?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robdrog

i presume so, they take it into account anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'd say the oral is marked out of the same for everyone, but just the percentage weighting in the actual exam changes given how the marks are distributed on that level.
    Does that make any sense to anyone? Basically I'm trying to say, I'd say they're all marked out of say 150, but this could be 150/400 for HL and 150/450 for OL. (Not real figures...)

But yeah, you can drop down no problem, just make sure you know the layout of the other paper, and you should be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd say the oral is marked out of the same for everyone, but just the percentage weighting in the actual exam changes given how the marks are distributed on that level.
    Does that make any sense to anyone? Basically I'm trying to say, I'd say they're all marked out of say 150, but this could be 150/400 for HL and 150/450 for OL. (Not real figures...)

But yeah, you can drop down no problem, just make sure you know the layout of the other paper, and you should be fine! :)

I only have the HL papers. Is OL level like the HL junior cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Liam O wrote: »
    I only have the HL papers. Is OL level like the HL junior cert?

I do HL...
    You can download exam papers on www.examinations.ie though.
    From what I've seen on the OL paper, it's pretty much JC stuff - letters, postcards and what-have-you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

There is no higher level or ordinary level Oral, I done a great Spanish oral but i'm muck at the writing side so dropped from Higher to Ordinary after filling in the forms saying I was doing higher, me Spanish teacher said it wasn't a problem, so your alright man!

• Advertisement

Walsh wrote: »
    There is no higher level or ordinary level Oral, I done a great Spanish oral but i'm muck at the writing side so dropped from Higher to Ordinary after filling in the forms saying I was doing higher, me Spanish teacher said it wasn't a problem, so your alright man!
    thanks a million!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

You can drop down. The orals are marked at common level but are worth more of the overall grade at Higher Level. The oral is 25% (100 marks) at HL and only 20% (80) marks at OL

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yeah it's fine. Our teacher told people to wait til after the orals to drop (so they'd have all the good notes for the oral which is marked the same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

Yeah we were told going into our oral that they don't know what level you are, Its pretty much common level?

I done sooo bad at HL in the mocks, dropped down and OL is just soooo easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 schlumpfine

yes you can drop down, and the oral is marked out of 80 instead of 100 marks. Just remember though that the points for OL are very low so I wouldn't reccommend it unless you're sure you're going to fail the HL paper. It's still very hard to get an A in the OL paper so if you're counting the points for French I'd think twice about dropping down. Just something to think about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

If your borderline failing a D3 in higher is equal to a B1 in ordinary, it's easily obtainable if you've been doing higher for the last 6 years of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Are you sure you want to drop to OL??

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Are you afraid of failing HL? If not, I'd be inclined to do HL.

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Are you afraid of failing HL? If not, I'd be inclined to do HL.
    ya i am afraid i will fail, i got 54% in the pre, but then again i knew what the opinion questions were. added to that i have no study done for french i have history the same and going for good mrks in that has eating into french study time!

Advertisement