Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the 24.8% who gave Fianna Fail a first preference: Why ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Elmo wrote: »
    What is CG?

Garden county!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thanks for your help!

Golden Circle.

Re-read your post.

So FF without the Corruption :rolleyes:

Bit like Dublin with out The Liffey!!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

gcgirl wrote: »
    A why does it have bad loans if it was regulated like it should have been and the goverment were not creating a false economy bumping up house prices making it hard for 1st time buyers and investers making a mint and there for a lot of my generation are stuct with negative equity even the ones that have spilt up cant sell and have to still live under same roof as their ex's cos they cant afford to do anything else! Anglo is intergrated in to the Building industry as for Lehmans are you sure your not Berti? He would have blamed them for the Dubs losing today if they had of lost!

The government does not regulate financial services. It is a job for the independent Central Bank of Ireland and the Financial regulator.

How exactly did the government "bump up prices"? I wasn't aware that the government set house prices, I thought the market did that.

" Anglo is intergrated in to the Building industry as for Lehmans are you sure your not Berti? He would have blamed them for the Dubs losing today if they had of "

I can't even begin to make any sense of that. I was using the bank Lehman Brothers as an example of the economics consequences of the failure of a large integrated bank.

cm2000 wrote: »
    The government does not regulate financial services. It is a job for the independent Central Bank of Ireland and the Financial regulator.

How exactly did the government "bump up prices"? I wasn't aware that the government set house prices, I thought the market did that.

" Anglo is intergrated in to the Building industry as for Lehmans are you sure your not Berti? He would have blamed them for the Dubs losing today if they had of "

I can't even begin to make any sense of that. I was using the bank Lehman Brothers as an example of the economics consequences of the failure of a large integrated bank.

Sorry you should listening to Karen Colemans interview(you can youtube it) with Berti to get the Whole Lehman bros referance!
    And that nobel winning Economist(name escapes me at the min) That was on tv basically said they same thing as bumping or creating a false economy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman is the economist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

gcgirl wrote: »
    Sorry you should listening to Karen Colemans interview(you can youtube it) with Berti to get the Whole Lehman bros referance!
    And that nobel winning Economist(name escapes me at the min) That was on tv basically said they same thing as bumping or creating a false economy!

you are referring to Paul Krugman I think. You didn't notice apparently that he noted that " it might be asking too much to expect governments actively to fight bubbles."

This is especially true when you don't have control of monetary policy. When the banks are borrowing money at rates suitable to a senile German population in an inflationary young booming economy, this becomes virtually impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I want to understand the mindset of the the 24.8% who still feel that FF deserve to be in power.

It's not a general election, it's a Euro and local. How is a vote going to affect who is in power?

On a side note, the electors have correctly pointed the Greens as the real reason things are f'ed.

To those who think that FG wouldn't do any better, what makes you think this? They could do worse or could do better, we don't know because they were never given the opportunity. Only by giving them a chance can we make a fair judgement on their performance.

I'm not sure what to think about Anglo. Personally I would have let it fail; I remember reading an article which claimed its failure would not have been significant - only if BOI or AIB went to the wall would we be totally screwed.
    Yoda wrote: »
    Political parties are not football teams. One may support a team because they are local to the area, or because one likes the colour of their uniforms. The wins or losses of a football team are of little consequence. Few are harmed whether a match goes one way or the other.
    I remember seeing FF posters in 2007 saying to vote for "Bertie's Team" - that seemed to be the thing they were after.

Karsini wrote: »
    To those who think that FG wouldn't do any better, what makes you think this? They could do worse or could do better, we don't know because they were never given the opportunity. Only by giving them a chance can we make a fair judgement on their performance.

I'm not sure what to think about Anglo. Personally I would have let it fail; I remember reading an article which claimed its failure would not have been significant - only if BOI or AIB went to the wall would we be totally screwed.

I remember seeing FF posters in 2007 saying to vote for "Bertie's Team" - that seemed to be the thing they were after.

I'm nearly sure i read that too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

No its called loyalty, through thick and thin

TBH, I'm stunned by that statement.

Can I ask you honestly, what would it take/what would Fianna Fail have to do before that "loyalty" waivered?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So FF without the Corruption :rolleyes:

Yup. Why the rolleyes ?

Surely that's a LOT better than FF WITH the corruption ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

cm2000 wrote: »

The Financial Regulator appointed by whom ?

The Financial Regulator paid off with a massive bonus and goodbye payment having NOT done his job.....paid off - by whom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

The idiotic comments coming out of Fianna Fail supporters mouths here are quite hard to fathom. My brain is actually hurting by trying to understand their logic. Brolly, Elmo and the Inquisitor have come out with some of the most ridiculous comments i have ever read. It is so hard for someone like me to believe there are people this stupid in the world.

My mate who is 23, an unemployed construction worker with probably worse prospects than any of the rest of my group of friends said the other day "I'll still vote FF 1, 2, 3. Sure that Enda Kenny is a clown why would i vote for him". I just got so angry that people as stupid as that have a say in the running of my country. Democracy has its drawbacks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

brolly wrote: »
    Because I am!:rolleyes:;) I know my local TD's etc quite well and they are great workers for us. That and I have always believed that Fianna Fáil are the best party. I know not many will agree with me, but that doesn't change my view on the party.

My god...what the **** is wrong with you? Jesus Christ...

With people like you in the country i think we should weep for this country's future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

samsemtex wrote: »
    people this stupid in the world.

My mate who is 23, an unemployed construction worker with probably worse prospects than any of the rest of my group of friends said the other day "I'll still vote FF 1, 2, 3. Sure that Enda Kenny is a clown why would i vote for him". I just got so angry that people as stupid as that have a say in the running of my country. Democracy has its drawbacks :(

Yea, like a having to explain why a is better then b.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

samsemtex wrote: »
    The idiotic comments coming out of Fianna Fail supporters mouths here are quite hard to fathom.

Just because people have opposing political viewpoints to you doesn't mean you can call them idiots on this forum. Please don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

roadwars wrote: »
    FF are a perfectly good party to vote for, they gave us the boom times and it's not their fault that we don't have them any more.

The second part of that sentence is a lie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I voted FF because FG/Lab have failed to provide workable manifestos.

They simply criticise what ever the government say, their comments are aimed at the popular vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jeemojney

Jonathan wrote: »
    I voted FF because FG/Lab have failed to provide workable manifestos.

They simply criticise what ever the government say, their comments are aimed at the popular vote.

and FF's workable manifesto is ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

jeemojney wrote: »
    and FF's workable manifesto is ?
    They have made measures to cut expenditure and raise taxes.

FG/Lab opposed nearly all of these.

Does not compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Sticking with the devil i know. What honestly would FG have done different to stop the problems we're in now? Nothing thats what.

What an awful line. 'Sticking with the devil I know'.

Maybe this works in North Korea, but here there is a democracy and a chance to punish/ oust the government for their incompetencies.

Do you have proof that every other party would fare out worse? I think we all know the answer to that question.

'Sticking with the devil I know' is Fianna Fails only slogan and its pathetic. Don't let the door hit yee on the way out you clowns. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I want to understand the mindset of the the 24.8% who still feel that FF deserve to be in power.
    If you were one of the people who had a well paid secure government job with guaranteed pension you would want the status quo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Jonathan wrote: »
    They have made measures to cut expenditure and raise taxes.

FG/Lab opposed nearly all of these.

Does not compute.

Yip FG/LAb would oppose all of those.

Right up until they were in charge, then they'd do the same...because its all that a government can do to save/raise money.

Going back to my point from a few pages back...

What interests me is major backtracking of the “anti FF” people that I’ve spoken to over the past few years. They used to be very quick to point out that the Irish economic boom had little to do with FF policies and everything to do with the growing world markets. Those same people are now blaming FF for the current climate and brushing off the idea that it might be caused by an international crisis.

Can’t have it both ways people…

And I have to love the comparing the government to that of North Korea - not much paranoia here then! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

When 24.8% of the electorate vote for an Institutionally corrupt political party then the only assumption that can be made is that we are a Institutionally corrupt Society.

Is it any wonder that political/religious institutions are corrupt when the electorate are given the opportunity to have their say they continue to vote in favour of corruption.

In the outside world the view of Ireland is a country riven with political and religious corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

K_user wrote: »
    Going back to my point from a few pages back...

What interests me is major backtracking of the “anti FF” people that I’ve spoken to over the past few years. They used to be very quick to point out that the Irish economic boom had little to do with FF policies and everything to do with the growing world markets. Those same people are now blaming FF for the current climate and brushing off the idea that it might be caused by an international crisis.

Can’t have it both ways people…

And I have to love the comparing the government to that of North Korea - not much paranoia here then! :D

I would give credit to the 1980s era FF with their forward thinking policies to attract foreign direct investment, build the IFSC etc and give credit to the Labour/FG government during the early 1990s for their decision to cut corporation tax rate as well as supporting the actions of the FF government during the 1980s.

As for the current bunch of Fianna Fáilers in power... I wouldn't give them an ounce of credit. They just rode out the boom for all it was worth and ultimately helped squander it with their reckless policies.

blinding wrote: »
    When 24.8% of the electorate vote for an Institutionally corrupt political party then the only assumption that can be made is that we are a Institutionally corrupt Society.
    Did you know that O'Connell Street Dublin was found to be one of the most expensive streets in the world?

There is no assumption in thinking that we in Ireland, collectively, as a nation, are a greedy bunch.

Why point fingers at the political parties, when we are just as bad?
    Is it any wonder that political/religious institutions are corrupt when the electorate are given the opportunity to have their say they continue to vote in favour of corruption.
    Lets turn a horrible point of Irish history into a political tool...no mud slinging there...

Oh and again, we the Irish people, were aware of how horrible those religious institutions were and yet did nothing.
    In the outside world the view of Ireland is a country riven with political and religious corruption.
    Compared to where exactly?

In fact who is looking? There are far more important things happening else where in the world.

As for the current bunch of Fianna Fáilers in power... I wouldn't give them an ounce of credit. They just rode out the boom for all it was worth and ultimately helped squander it with their reckless policies.
    As did the entire country.

You might have a point if any of the other parties where screaming that there was a recession coming, that we had to be careful. But they weren't. They were too busy slinging mud and trying to get into power themselves. But thats what politicians are supposed to do.

There is no “good v’s evil” here. Governments enjoy good times and fall during the bad. It comes with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jimmmy wrote: »
    If you were one of the people who had a well paid secure government job with guaranteed pension you would want the status quo too.

Unfair and completely unsubstantiated.

As said many times before these were local and european elections, voting FF or any other party has NO effect on national government.
    You'd want to take off your blinkers every now and again Jimmy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I've never voted for a party in my life.

Advertisement