Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Problem

Options
  • 07-06-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

First of all you havent got wireless bb - you have bb over cable and you are then using a wireless network to access your bb. I know it sounds pedantic but its important to distinguish if you are going to diagnose your problem.

The first thing to establish is whether the problem is actually with your upc connection or whether its with the wireless network.

So connect directly to the router (by cable) and see if you are still getting disconnected. If you are then its a upc problem if not then its going to be a problem with your wireless connection. There could be a neighbour using the same channel - try changing your channel or is there any other wireless giizmo in the house?

Also have you changed anything in your setup lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

quickest way to tell if it's your ntl connection or your wireless connection is to check the lights on your ntl modem when it happens. if there are lights out (or flashing) on the modem you've lost your internet connection.

otherwise as dub says, it could be a problemnw ith your wireless connection to the router, which could be anything from other wifi equipment, dect phones, bluetooth, video senders, car alarms or microwave ovens (take your pick!). all those items operate on the same 2.4ghz bandwidth as your wifi does, so any one of them *could* in theory be knocking off your wifi connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Quick addition.

While connecting directly to the router is a good idea, it's better to connect directly to the modem itself, as you'd want to take the router out of the equation.
    Ethernet cable directly to your computer, reboot the modem.

If it's still coming and going, call them as it could be a noise issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Check the wireless adapter settings to see if it has power save enabled.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It does sound like its your laptop then if ever other wireless device works fine.

You could download ubuntu and run it off a CD/DVD (or install it) and see if the wireless works fine on that. This will tell you if it's a driver or operating system issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My original 7 year old WiFi card still works fine ( I tested it in a Router I was building last month). Though it is only 11Mbps so nearly 3 years ago I swapped it for a 108MBps turbo G a/b/g WiFi Card. The laptop is over 7 years old. XP pro never re-installed either.

It's more likely software issues than the laptop or the WiFi adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Did you check for any updates for your wireless card?

• Advertisement

Advertisement