Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to introduce a new puppy to wearing a collar??

Options
  • 07-06-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

Just looking for some advice, as I am reading different things on the net and asking friends who have other breeds of dogs. We are getting a golden retriever puppy in a few weeks and preparations are well under way!

Some websites advocate collars from a young age to get them used to the collar. Others say not to put the collar on while they are growing, as it prevents the long hair growing around the neck.

One person recommended putting a collar on for 1-2 hours a day to start off so she gets used to it....

Does anyone have any experience as which is the best method? We don't want to run into problems later on trying to get collars on, neither do we want her hair not growing around her neck area....

Any advice will be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I have a 5month old pup and we got a light collar (Actually was a cat collar because we needed a small one) and we put it on her I'd say maybe 2months ago, but just for like an hour or so each day so she'd get used to it.
    When we put it on she'd lie down cuz she didn't know what was wrong lol. (she does that if she's something stuck in her fur too)

then we progressed and left it on for a bit longer, then overnight, then got a proper dog collar and she's grand. I take it off from time to time as it does make the fluffy fur round her neck bunch. But other than that I'd say it's the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 swim

Thank you very much for the info
    It sounds like the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

star-pants wrote: »
    I have a 5month old pup and we got a light collar ........for like an hour or so each day so she'd get used to it.
    ........then we progressed and left it on for a bit longer, then overnight, then got a proper dog collar and she's grand. I take it off from time to time
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I found my pup took to a light collar straight away just put it on and never took it off. He was more distracted by coming home, then to notice a collar.

Advertisement