Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Irish!!

• 07-06-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi, as a completly inept student of Irish I'm just looking for that pass(I think it's 38%). Can anyone help me out with the questions I need to answer JUST to achieve the pass, ie. which questions have the most weight of marks and the minimum amount of work?
    I'm thinking; try to do well in Paper 1 and scrape by in Paper 2, would that suffice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Learn a story off for paper 1 and do your comprehensions, just have a look over a few phrases for paper 2, stuff like I liked the emotions in the poem and that stuff and you should be sorted providing you did a decent oral. Tape is usually a pain in the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

learn phrase's for the essay, good ones will bring up your standerd and then you can just fill things in around them

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Could some Higher level irish genius type, please scribble out a paragraph on Social Problems, like people getting drunk etc and drink driving and Drug taking? im doing ordinary aswell. I'd say i'll pass, but I just want to learn some stuff off, I would be ever so grateful thanks very very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Thanks guys. What kind of phrases do you mean, ones for the weather the like? I'm planning on having a go at the Comhra and the Littir, since they seem the most simplistic. Just draw on my oral stuff for the Comhra and bullcrap my way through the Littir

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

im gonna do the litir...since it's the only thing im 100pc sure of. plus i have it learned since third year..it'll come easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Comhra is very hard to pick up marks in I'd advise the Giota tbh.. or hte sceal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Actually would doing good enough in Paper 1, the oral and the aural be enough? The oral's 20% so's the aural and then Paper 1 is 30%, or am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Well you have under estimated the marks going for each of the parts.
    Oral - 150 marks (25%)
    Aural - 120 marks (20%)
    Paper 1 - 220 marks (36.66%)
    Paper 2 - 110 marks (18.33%)

Paper 2 is only 18% if you do well on the other sections you should do quiet well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Scéal and Litir here.

I've done it in such a way that I can write loads on a fire, an accident, being sick, getting a new job, going on holidays. So for example

"Write a letter to your parents telling them how you're getting on in your summer job in England."

"Hi Mum and Dad, having a great time here in England *blurb about work and holidays meshed together*.

You'll never guess what happened - a fire at work! *blurb about fire*

But I wasn't in when it happened, thanks be to God! I've been sick! *blurb about being sick* But don't be worrying! Talk to you again soon! Tell everyone I said hi!"

Etc.

Whatever I decide not to use, I'll use in the scéal as appropriate. They want your Irish not a creative story about working abroad and how you saved the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Is there any predictions on what poem and pros are coming up in OL Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

The only real awful part is paper 2. it has practically all the learning and as somebody has stated above, is only 18%.

Paper one you can wing with absolute ease once you have a good few verbs and can assemble a sentence. And the tape seems fairly predictable.....although our mock one was a joke.

I suppose it depends how long you've been doing ordinary level. Like the lads in my class who dropped to pass in 5th yr find it simple, but for the fella's who've been there all along, its much more of an uphill struggle.

I suppose if you find it impossible there's always doing the whole 'cram random paragraphs and hope they come in useful' technique!

Rob! wrote: »
    The only real awful part is paper 2. it has practically all the learning and as somebody has stated above, is only 18%.

Paper one you can wing with absolute ease once you have a good few verbs and can assemble a sentence. And the tape seems fairly predictable.....although our mock one was a joke.

I suppose it depends how long you've been doing ordinary level. Like the lads in my class who dropped to pass in 5th yr find it simple, but for the fella's who've been there all along, its much more of an uphill struggle.

I suppose if you find it impossible there's always doing the whole 'cram random paragraphs and hope they come in useful' technique!

Wow I never thought of it like that - each written paper is only 18%? Suppose that's right since the listening and oral add up to 40%+

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

yeah, jeez thats disheartning when i realise it is only 18%, ah sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Right, i've been in OL irish for a year and a half, i suck so hard at it! Don't even know the lay out of the papers. Any big hints or stuff i should learn?

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Wow I never thought of it like that - each written paper is only 18%? Suppose that's right since the listening and oral add up to 40%+

Well the oral and aural add to 45%. paper 1 is worth almost double paper 2 but i wouldn't worry cause the comprehensions are worth half of it.

Like i wouldn't advise anybody to do what i'm doing - but i havent done, and really don't intend to do any irish at all. i have to really focus upon maths because i need it. instead i'll just look over verbs and stuff tomorrow for an hour beforehand.

You need irish (in general) to go to college so the SEC really don't want ppl to fail the exam. I wouldnt worry. Once you have your cupla fhocail as gaeilge your sorted! Have confidence!:rolleyes:

Is it true your story doesnt need to have anything to do with the title your given? You just lose 10 marks?

Walsh wrote: »
    Is it true your story doesnt need to have anything to do with the title your given? You just lose 10 marks?

So i've heard, but i've also heard that 38% is a pass. I really don't know what to believe. As far as i could see from the mocks, ppl got marks for anything they wrote in irish. One lad in my class wrote out random irish he saw on the leaving cert timetable for a paper 2 question and he got like a third of the marks for grammar, vocab and structure! :p (Im REALLY not advising you to do the same. I just found it amusing when he showed me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

\did that in my PRE and got 3/60, so i won't recommend doing that lol

Shizer, I have my story learnt, I'm crap at Irish and thats what me teacher told me to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ramey

I'm screweeedddd... Completely.. Does anyone, by any chance, have a sample answer they can throw at me for anything paper 2?

• Advertisement

Rob! wrote: »
    Well the oral and aural add to 45%. paper 1 is worth almost double paper 2 but i wouldn't worry cause the comprehensions are worth half of it.

Like i wouldn't advise anybody to do what i'm doing - but i havent done, and really don't intend to do any irish at all. i have to really focus upon maths because i need it. instead i'll just look over verbs and stuff tomorrow for an hour beforehand.

You need irish (in general) to go to college so the SEC really don't want ppl to fail the exam. I wouldnt worry. Once you have your cupla fhocail as gaeilge your sorted! Have confidence!:rolleyes:

Naw I was more surprised by the percentage value of each paper being so low rather than so hard to attain, perfectly confident that I can get a B at OL :)

Just realised Irish is at 1:30 tomoro and not 2:00 and ordinary level have a 40 minute break before the Tape, provided you don't leave early? What the hell?

Just realised Irish is at 1:30 tomoro and not 2:00 and ordinary level have a 40 minute break before the Tape, provided you don't leave early? What the hell?

Niceeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

That's very true, our teacher was at some conference when the chief examiner was talking about the Irish paper and he basically told them that as long as the student makes -even the vaguest connection to the title- they'll give you those marks.
    Like if the essays about weather, you can write about a concert and as long as you mention the weather somewhere in there, you get those marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

how many poems and stories are people doing for paper 2??? ordinary level!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

learn a sceal on timpiste or robail
    A road accident and robbery can apply to ANY Story they give:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

how many poems and stories are people doing for paper 2??? ordinary level!!

No idea, thats tomorrow nights work!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

eoccork wrote: »
    No idea, thats tomorrow nights work!
    Haha exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

At this point i will probably fail pass Irish so im thinking of doing the foundation paper. Don't need Irish for my course or for my points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I've done no Irish whatsoever up until this point but I need to pass it so is there any site with some phrases I can learn off for a story? Or if anyone's feeling generous to put up some themselves!

Btw, can't believe paper 2 is only 18%!!! sure thats the worst paper having to know all the poems and sh1rt -thats great! I'm thinking would it be worth not coming in for paper 2 so I can study history...

Advertisement