Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old hates sleeping

Options
  • 07-06-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

My little fella is one year and a month old and hates sleeping. He fights it as much as possible - he's quite clearly tired you can see it in his face but he continues to stand up or sit up in cot. So he eventually goes to sleep between 9 and 10 at night. Then he wakes at about 5am, we bring him into our bed and give him a bottle and we can usually get him to go back to sleep till about 6.30 or 7, but then he's awake again and wants to play.

He has 2 naps during the day at 11 and at about 3 - both lasting about 45 minutes. As of recent every second or third day he only takes one nap. What's going on with my dude? I call him the red bull baby because he's always so full of energy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some babies just don't like sleeping I was one of them as so was my eldest.
    By the time they are one they are so aware of evertything that is going on around them and dont' want to miss anything.

Firstly I suggest trying to get him to 1 nap a day.

Secondly to look at the level of stimulation which is going on for him around bed time.
    What noise, is there, what distraction, with my eldest we went through a stage of having to have him in the buggy watching winne the pooh and then lifting him to bed when he feel asleep, it was the only way.

Thirdly what is the bed time routine, with mine once they are in thier pjs then bed time follows with in the next 30 mins ( even now with them being 8 and 11 ) having a routine and the same things happening each night gives them signals as to wind them down for bed. I have a play list of songs as well which I would play for them and have done for years and even now with them listening to audio books in thier rooms at bed time if they are having trouble sleeping will ask me to put on the bedtime music.

Some kids are just more active and aware then others and it seems to often be the case with first borns.

Advertisement