Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election results

Options
  • 07-06-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭

Folks, it's not very sporting to kick a man when he's down but how's feelings on Fianna Fail's and the Green's getting a drubbing ?

For target shooters and hunters I can only imagine these results must be like sweet music to the ears. The MoJ's party is suffering and the party that wants to ban hunting are on the ropes. All in all a good days work has been done on Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just moving this over to the main shooting forum where all the politics belongs ;)

And it's definitely had some serious implications for the government - every paper out today has the same single story above the fold - worst election results for FF in its history.

And there's a no-confidence motion tabled for the Dail on Tuesday morning by FG. It's not a formality given that that the election has now left the seat count as :
    FF-75
    FG-52
    Lab-20
    GP-6
    SF-4
    IND-8

So pro-Government is FF(76)+GP(6)+Harney+Healy-Rae = 84 and anti-Government is FG(52)+Lab(20)+SF(4) = 76, with the other 6 independents unaccounted for. If the independents vote against the government it would take three TDs from either the FF back benches, or the Greens, and the motion would pass. If I was in the Cabinet at the moment, I'd be putting a few extra office supplies in my briefcase tonight just in case :D

edit: (And if Pat Gallagher gets his MEP seat, he has to give up his TD seat, so that's one more seat the FF party loses...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

If the government falls what effect (if any?) would it have on the criminal justice bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In theory, nothing; the Bill still goes to committee stage and so on.
    In practise, it's unlikely to be supported by FG/Lab so it might just be left drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+1 for Sparks. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the government didn't survive the motion that the whole CJB rigamarole is going to start from scratch all over as it contains a few bones of contention the current opposition might be weary of pushing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Like all power hungry despots.FF and Fatty Cowen will hold on at all costs to power until the general election.They cant afford to call or allow a general election now as they would be out of a job straight away.Actually the only hope is the Greenies pushing their agenda,and leaving Govt before theymust get on their bikes and cycle off into the sunset following the PDs,That would trigger the Gen election.However I doubt they have the gumption or cohones to do so.Dying govts will lash out at anything to keep in power so expect this disaster of the CJB to be pushed thru at all costs.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That's why there were two ifs in my previous post Grizzly. As far as I can see it all depends on the Green's membership and how they're going to react to their leadership's election catastrophe. As things stand the Greens and independents can offer a majority either way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Greens can't afford to have an election called now because they would be completely wiped out. They have to stay in power and try rebuild their party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A change of Government now may not be the best thing for the country at this stage.

However I am hoping that the present government will start listening to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

However I am hoping that the present government will start listening to the people.

Yoda voice*The optimism is strong in you*
    I myself have no faith in this current govt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

As Peter Ustinov said

The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come.:D:D

I am an optimist......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Being a pessimist means you are never disappointed,and when somthing halfway good happens it exceeds your expectations.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

The NASRPC has posted a letter to FF TD's on their website. Seems like a good idea as I wouldnt imagine FF back bench TDs are too happy at the moment and a targeted campaign towards their party may now produce some results if the letter keep flooding in. There is a link on the homepage to the letter. I had a quick scan through and its seems well drafted at first glance. Its a PDF, I for one will be printing it and sending it on to my local FF TDs and would encourage everyone who holds a FAC regardless of type or caliber to do so also. A coherent and targeted plan is what is required now IMHO, a lot of people here have been sending emails, esp to the opposition, myself included, but I do believe there is merit in targeting the FF party esp after the election results. Dont leave it to someone else, play your part in safe guarding your sport.

Advertisement