Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry bold 9000 on Vodafone pay-as-you-go

• 07-06-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I believed the hype about the blackberry. My whole family is using it. So I decided to go out and get my self one. At the moment I'm a pay as you go customer.

I happened to be in Amsterdam and bought the Bold at the duty free shop on my way to Dublin. When I put my sim card in and made sure I had enough credit to use data, I couldn't connect to the internet. Wifi was working fine. I called Vodafone customer care and they told me that I need to be on contract/bill pay. I thought that was a load of bull. Basically the only reason my bold could not connect the Vodafone's GPRS/3G network is because my handset could not be registered on the network. My phone's PIN and IMEI were probably registered in Netherlands. There is no official way of porting your blackberry bought outside Ireland to a network here. I figured that out myself and obviously this is not information vodafone Ireland will NOT tell you..which is wierd. I know they are desperate to get people to sign up on contracts but they should give people the true picture.

Anyway, a friend works for a reputable mobile phone repair firm. I took my blackberry bold there and they gave me a completely new handset that was registered on the Vodafone Ireland network. As long as your handset is still within it's 2 year warranty period (most blackberries are), any problems and you get a new one. Now I can surf the net, download apps on pay as you go...sweet!

The only problem I'm experiencing now is I'm unable to use google talk and yahoo messenger on my bold. After successful download and install, when I try to log in to either gtalk or y-messenger, I get the message "Service not enabled on this handheld". Could that be because I'm not on Contact/bill pay too?

I'm afraid calling Vodafone customer care could result in that answer.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm pretty sure that you have to be on a contract to use a balckberry on vodafone.
    They have a specific data package for blackberry's which is only avaiable to contract customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

For some reason, Blackberries need their own special data package. Without it, you can't use the email, IM, app store or maps functions. I think the browser is also restricted. Unlocking it won't fix this issue, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Have you tried registering it at BlackBerry Internet Service for vodafone. Not sure if it will work with a Pay as you Go sim, but worth a try http://short.ie/i6tvt9

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Blackberrys in ireland can only be used on contract.

you're friend who sorted you out with a new one, well sounds to me he was doing you a favour as the handset never had a fault to begin with. it was sold in a particular territory to be used in that territory. i doubt if an average punter did that they'd get it replaced. unless he just unlocked it for you....are you sure its a brand new handset?

and as for giving out about vodafone. they did nothing wrong, your foreign blackberry has nothing to do with them

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I have a blackbery storm on vodafone prepay and am using the vodafone.ie APN I can use gmail google mapping opera mini etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭thecivvie

But to use the email service etc you need to be on a contract, yeah you can use data but the blackberry apn stuff

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Correct - I use gmail app and have it take down my normal email account also.

Advertisement