Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed check

• 07-06-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Gaurds were on the chapelizod bypass outbound again today @ 14.00 approx. Outbound after the second set of lights go round the first bend there and you cross over a bridge with a green handrail around it... just there with the tripod camera...

If you are caught speeding with the tripod camera do they need to pull you in like they do with the hand held camera?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Nope. They can just mail you the fine when they use the tripod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I saw them with the tripod at the Newcastle junction where you come out from Superquinn and head towards the Spa hotel.
    They were stopping people coming off the sliproad onto the N4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

From what I remember if they have a lazer gun they pull you over while with the tripod they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Passed the one at the Newcastle flyover whats the speed limit westbound there now 80?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

80km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 gee118

Got "alleged" to be speeding north bound on the M1 on the 3rd of this month (June) just after 8am. The only place on that road the car is driven is between the port tunnel and the m50 on ramp.

Does anyone know if there was a van or a tripod or what?

Plus, I'm told they've got the wrong speed. Does anyone know if you can call the gardai about it or would they just tell you; "you were speeding, pay the fine, get 'awarded' the points"?

thanks for any info guys..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

gee118 wrote: »
    Got "alleged" to be speeding north bound on the M1 on the 3rd of this month (June) just after 8am. The only place on that road the car is driven is between the port tunnel and the m50 on ramp.

Plus, I'm told they've got the wrong speed. Does anyone know if you can call the gardai about it or would they just tell you; "you were speeding, pay the fine, get 'awarded' the points"?

thanks for any info guys..

Quite often there is a White van in the hard shoulder, before the Santry on ramp.

Speed limit in that section is 80km/h - what's the alleged speed?

That's the M50 not the M1! It used to be the M1 until the port tunnel opened and both the tunnel and carriageway between the tunnel and M50 /M1 interchange was re-numbered.
    How the pic was taken is irrelevant - van and tripod both give pictures so you can request a better quality version if you wish.
    What speed were you doing. It is normally 80km/h but the roadworks may have brought it down (unlikely just yet).
    If you weren't over the posted limit then you need to go to court to contest it.

Alleged speed was 99kmph.
    Speed limit according to notice was 80kmph.
    The notice also said "M1 Santry" but I doubt the name of the road would be grounds for contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Alleged speed was 99kmph.
    Speed limit according to notice was 80kmph.
    The notice also said "M1 Santry" but I doubt the name of the road would be grounds for contention.

Yes it is....

Or at least it was. A few years ago i got a speeding ticket in Leixlip. I was alleged to be doing 43mph on Confey Road where Posted Limit was 30mph.

I was actually doing 43 on Captains Hill, where the limit IS 30mph...the limit on Confey road is 40mph, so i was able to contest the docket. I wrote to the issuing station, got a letter back saying matter dropped, thanks for your time....

• Advertisement

The speed limit on the initial stretch of the M1 (M50 to airport) is 80km/h IIRC and from there on is 120km/h.
    You could query where exactly along the M1 you are alleged to have broken the speed limit but as it says "Santry" you are unlikely to wriggle out of an 80km/h limit anyhow.

kbannon wrote: »
    The speed limit on the initial stretch of the M1 (M50 to airport) is 80km/h IIRC and from there on is 120km/h.
    You could query where exactly along the M1 you are alleged to have broken the speed limit but as it says "Santry" you are unlikely to wriggle out of an 80km/h limit anyhow.

How do go about querying these? I'm not with the notice right now so don't know if there's a number on it.
    I guess what I'm asking; is this normal procedure to query about a fine or will they be 'difficult' about it?

BTW, because it megered onto the M50 it never really was on the M1 in the 1st place. If I could argue that point successfully I'd be delighted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

How do go about querying these? I'm not with the notice right now so don't know if there's a number on it.
    I guess what I'm asking; is this normal procedure to query about a fine or will they be 'difficult' about it?

BTW, because it megered onto the M50 it never really was on the M1 in the 1st place. If I could argue that point successfully I'd be delighted...

AGS work off townlands. The new ROBOT vans (GATSO) have the townlands preset (see Garda website). AGS Traffic can no longer just set the van up anywhere. It must be in one of the locations preset, so I would be sure they were in the right speed limit. Once your over your over im afraid. Didnt know it was a lesser speed isnt an excuse.

The notice has a number on the top near the picture of your number plate starting with either S or H. About 14 numbers and letters. Thats your FCPS reference number. If you want to check further you can ring the FCPS office in Thurles or write a letter to the supt of the Gardas station you were detected by. This does not stop the time period and you are still under the same obligations to pay and if the time goes over 28 days your fine will go to €120, even while making you enquiry.
    Hope this helps
    NGA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

The Guards are on the Chapolizod more often then not. Head to Texeco, get a roll and as it settles sting a ridiculous amount of people doing 100k in an 80k. That road is so dangerous its unreal, certainly a need for a checkpoint there...yeah...

Advertisement