Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blitz The League II

Options
  • 07-06-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Saw the lads on the Citizen Game podcast play this in a YouTube clip and it looked quite entertaining so decided to pick it up for myself (XBox). Had played NFL Blitz on PC years ago and found it very entertaining - the difference is Blitz The League II is a more violent version :)

Played an exhibition match first and it does a pretty decent runthrough of how to play the game. Hits are entertaining...causing injuries even more so (with its CSI-esque cut scene).

Then started up the campaign. Nice way to create a character by shaping his skillset through a press conference. Regular season matches were quite easy. Managed to win 7 from 7 and completed all my (personal) goals along the way. Didn't win the MVP for my own player ('Franchise') as my QB had thrown too many TD passes :) Moved on to the final but lost (badly - everything fell apart for me!). Thought "oh well, maybe I can win MVP next year"...But no - you just end up restarting that match.

That's the one downfall I have with the game so far - continuity. Games should have moved past this - fail to win one season, move on to next season! Reminded me of Speedball II (retro!) - fail to win division -> game over; get promoted -> start the next season with the same crap stats you had game 1 of the bottom division!

Anyone else play the game? Any other insights? Haven't had a lot of gametime so far but I am enjoying it. I would say local Multiplayer could be a blast. Haven't dared venture online as yet (my defence is terrible! :D).

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah I seen the same clip from citizen games and decided I had to get it :P

Its a really good game, local multiplayer is alot of fun, the campaign is quite a interesting way of going about it!

Has some flaws though:

That coach guy gets really annoying

You can only play two player local multiplayer, Surely this would be one of those games where more people would just add to the mayhem!

I dont think you can make your own plays.

If your juicing someone after an injury look at the players on the sideline, they look terrible!

Stumbling is far too effective, If you tackle a guy and it and it sends him into a tumble he is invincible until he straightens himself up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

loved the original but never had the chance to play the sequel, worth picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yeah I seen the same clip from citizen games and decided I had to get it :P

Its a really good game, local multiplayer is alot of fun, the campaign is quite a interesting way of going about it!

Has some flaws though:

That coach guy gets really annoying

You can only play two player local multiplayer, Surely this would be one of those games where more people would just add to the mayhem!

I dont think you can make your own plays.

If your juicing someone after an injury look at the players on the sideline, they look terrible!

Stumbling is far too effective, If you tackle a guy and it and it sends him into a tumble he is invincible until he straightens himself up

Yeah, while sideline players / spectators never look good in sports games, they look noticably bad in BtL2. And the stumbling is quite annoying. Really need to work on my defence though.

I actually think the coach is ok...Do tend to skip animations though :)

Helix wrote: »
    loved the original but never had the chance to play the sequel, worth picking up?

Yeah I would say it's worth picking up.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Feels as though just a little more could have been done to the Campaign mode...And once again my complaint is related to the restart setting. Up to Division 1 and lost first two games (marking was too tight; close games though). Won the next but lost the one that "ends" the campaign. Instead of restarting division / playing on and trying for next season / restarting career altogether, I have to play that game again. So basically I will get infinate retrys at winning the last 4 games. It's a little unsatisfying...

Would prefer age being a factor - i.e. you will have to retire at 30 / stats start dropping but you have to win Division 1 by then. Or even get the chance to defend title, etc. I know the franchise mode is all about him being the greatest player and marketability but even marketable players get let down by headless people on the team.

Finally, I'm having troubles defending against people running...The QB is avoiding sacks now with the evade (sometimes a little too accurately) and running straight appears to work for the AI - brush off my players / they stumble but keep running. Any tips?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I made the mistake of making franchise my WR, And all my plays to him are pure crap. Finding it very hard to make any ground with him.

I got a new HB though and he's the sh1t! he makes all my yards!

Just starting division 1 now

• Advertisement
Advertisement