Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mirai DTL-642E500 FullHD 42" LCD TV €499

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Seems like good value alltite , I had a look in the Mahon Point branch in Cork yesterday and they didn't have this price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Image Contrast Ratio 1200:1

no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Barr wrote: »
    Seems like good value alltite

It's a piece of ****e.

Am I missing something - its a 42" full hd for less than €500 ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Am I missing something - its a 42" full hd for less than €500 ?

Not all full HD 42" TVs are created equally.

• Advertisement

Not all full HD 42" TVs are created equally.

Not all are less than €500

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not all are less than €500
    You'd buy something that's crap because it's cheap?

How logical.

You'd buy something that's crap because it's cheap?

How logical.

Why do you think its crap ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why do you think its crap ?
    As has been pointed out, the contrast ratio sucks donkey balls, for that reason alone I would not buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Here is a link to the AVforums reviewing this TV,may be a bit old but will help if your thinking of buying as usually they are very knowledgable with their comments
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/454291-new-unknown-tv-mirai-dtl-642e500-42-full-hd.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

maybe we could get sticky on what to look for when buying an lcd tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

contrast ratio usually not a good method to judge a tv by unless it being indepentently measured in a review or something

dynamic contrast ratio is totally different again and a false measure of a lcd panels performance

would be interested to know what the hdmi or vga input looks like on a set like this... great price for the size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What happened to the good auld days when the only thing you were concerned with when buying a TV was the size of its screen?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

contrast ratio usually not a good method to judge a tv by unless it being indepentently measured in a review or something

dynamic contrast ratio is totally different again and a false measure of a lcd panels performance

would be interested to know what the hdmi or vga input looks like on a set like this... great price for the size

From looking at differant links to tv's down the ages, you'll find the "bargain deal" cheap LCD normally won't state the ratio and you have to go digging for it.

Example: Normande 42" €569.95 no mention of ratio

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-M42777

Phillips 42" pixel plus full hd dynamic contrast ratio 50000:1

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42P604

Some info that explains differances

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_contrast_ratio_and_dynamic_contrast_ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

IMHO, all current models LCDs will go dirt cheap by the end of the year as producers will be trying to push LCD LEDs (with LED backpanel for better ratios and picture quality) to the market.

Its just a wild guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

you can see how contrast ratio is used more and more as a marketing tool by manufacturers... some samsung monitors now have the dynamic contrast ratio printed on the front of the monitor... not a sticker but painted :rolleyes: Unfortunately you cant really judge picture quality by reading manufacturer specs :pac: specs matter but don't tell the whole story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apparently Mirai are owned by Sony, and have produced panels for them for a long time. My mother got one of the early ones which kept blinking to blue screen at the adverts. I asked her if she hadn't got a 3 year warranty, and sure enough she had. Didn't have the receipt, and Xtravision changed it anyway for a brand new model.. Picture quality wasn't bad at all for the money when she got it. I couldn't see a whole lot of difference when it was beside Sonys in XV to be honest. I'd take a punt at that price if I was in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Don't think they are owned by Sony. They used to make the panels for Sony for a while before they went selling them themselves. Think they have pulled out of the Irish Market now AFAIK, possibly Europe.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sony seem to have bought a TFT LCD factory from ChiMei Optoeletronics, which are used in mobile phones etc.
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200501/05-0107E/index.html

Mirai and ChiMei seem to be one and the same...
    www.mirai.eu

WRT Sony LCD TV's I understood that both Sony and Samsung share (or used to share) an LCD manufacturing plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I have 2 Mirai TVs - a 20" and a 32". Both are excellent sets and I would highly recommend the brand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement