Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Maths - do I need to know theorems!!!

Options
  • 07-06-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Okay - it's not actually me...I'm ancient...it's my daughter.

She's doing Ordinary Level Maths - her teacher never did any theorems. But in the Revise Wise Paper 2 Ordinary Level book - the theorems are there!

Are theorems necessary??!!! (oh, this brings me back to the 70's, when I was doing Inter and Leaving Cert).

Any advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Okay - it's not actually me...I'm ancient...it's my daughter.

She's doing Ordinary Level Maths - her teacher never did any theorems. But in the Revise Wise Paper 2 Ordinary Level book - the theorems are there!

Are theorems necessary??!!! (oh, this brings me back to the 70's, when I was doing Inter and Leaving Cert).

Any advice would be very welcome.

They're an elective! I do linear programming, others do vectors, some do theorems. Cool the jets, you're fine. Check what else is in that section and see which one YE did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

There is a question that uses theroms but generally most people don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

well john brennan whom some consider to be the top maths teacher in the country on 2fm radio said to skip the theorems because there's 10 on the course and they only ask 1 in the exam for 20 marks out of 600. That's less than 3.5% (assuming you get it done perfectly). He said for the time and effort that it takes to learn them it's not worth it because your time could be much better spent on other areas of the course.

I would say forget about them.

bst of luk to your daughter (and you if you're biting your nails like half the parents in the country :D)

Yeah good luck to your family in the Leaving if you have any others doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Claypigeon wrote: »
    They're an elective! I do linear programming, others do vectors, some do theorems. Cool the jets, you're fine. Check what else is in that section and see which one YE did.

Thank you - Daughter says her elective is linear programming.

'Electives' ?? - this is as bad as that UCD business!

In my day, we never heard of such things.

Thanks to everyone for their replies - and the best of luck to all of you doing the paper tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thank you - Daughter says her elective is linear programming.

'Electives' ?? - this is as bad as that UCD business!

In my day, we never heard of such things.

Thanks to everyone for their replies - and the best of luck to all of you doing the paper tomorrow.

Electives are just a group of questions that you choose to do one that you study as you would any other chapter in class; adds some choice for an individual class to work with their strengths and makes marking easier on the section as not everyone is competing on the same q

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I thought if you're doing the Geometry question, you need to know theorems.

Not 100% partly because my teacher never covered geometry because no one ever answers it!

Advertisement