Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best mid range speakers? Goin' shopping

• 07-06-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there Audio Experts,
    I want to buy separate speakers for Sony amp etc. and and would appreciate any advice on good brands and where to purchase?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

B&W Speakers (Bower and Wilkins) are a good brand. I think Cloney Audio are the agents for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Very Interestin

Thanks for that cnoc, that brand seem to come up quite often in the discusions all right.:)
    VI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I know you asked about brands but I thought it would be worth recommending floor-standers over book-shelf speakers. I recently replaced my Celestion (generally recognised as a decent brand) book-shelf speakers with similar sized Sony (not so well recognised) floor-standers. The difference was amazing - superior bass and much more detailed mid-range. Every album sounds so much better and it's like listening to a record for the first time when I play it on my upgraded system.

With floor-standers, it's also very easy to move to the speakers around for the optimal listening position for where you're sitting. e.g. I have the speakers on either side of the TV when watching a DVD but facing a different direction and further spread apart for listening to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Very Interestin

Ant,
    This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for, thanks a mill. Now do I have to go to Cloney in Blackrock or should I chance online, or is there a chance in heaven of getting something good in Kilkenny/Waterford?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Ant,
    This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for, thanks a mill. Now do I have to go to Cloney in Blackrock or should I chance online, or is there a chance in heaven of getting something good in Kilkenny/Waterford?:)

I was lucky enough to buy my speakers from an acquaintance who was happy to take them back if I wasn't happy with the sound. In your case, I'd recommend that if there's a shop in your area selling speakers, you should try to get the opportunity to play a CD that you're familiar with before buying the speakers. However, shops selling decent quality, affordable hi-fi equipment seems to be almost non-existent in Ireland.

In the past, I would have been reluctant to buy online but given the lack of choice, I'd recommend that if you see a good deal and read mostly positive reviews for that product, it should be worth the risk. (My next online purchase will be a new turntable as my new speakers really show up how crap the turntable I've been using for the past few years.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I would recommend KEF speakers, I have 103.2 reference series since 1983 and in their price range (they cost me 500pounds in 1983) I still haven't heard a better speaker, even ones costing thousands of euros don't come up to the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

200motels wrote: »
    I would recommend KEF speakers, I have 103.2 reference series since 1983 and in their price range (they cost me 500pounds in 1983) I still haven't heard a better speaker, even ones costing thousands of euros don't come up to the mark.

Dito,
    Proud Kef owner , full set of IQ's and a beauty full pair of XQ20's.

>Sol

Advertisement