Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tbh, turn-by-turn when walking isn't all that useful anyway. And I wouldn't use the GPS and Ovi Maps to drive by, because (a) the maps aren't that up to date in Ireland (they still list the Point Depot rather than the O2 for example) and (b) the interface is too small and fiddly to safely use while driving.

For walking around a strange town looking for something, it's fine.

As to the price, do what I did - look at a netbook pricetag for comparison.
    Or just look at the non-subsidised pricetag for an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i actually didn't like the turn by turn navigation on my n97 at all, i just ended up using the 'point me to' option most of the time as the talky turny yoke was really annoying most of the time.

i actually really like the n900 navigation, it gives you the essentials (i.e. the basic route and your current position) to help you get to where you are going without being too intrusive.

it would be good if it could do route re-calculations on the fly, but with the map there and your 'proposed' route from start to finish on-screen, it's usually just a matter or guiding yourself and occasionally glancing at the GPS to find your way which suits me fine. :)

the thing i liked the most (apart from angry birds!) was dragging and dropping divx video's to the phone and playing them back natively without worrying about transcoding them into some random format the phone can play. it's the first phone i've had that can do that without any problems for pretty much any file i've tried on it.

i'm very tempted to try overclocking it now too. i don't want to be the only one on the thread with a stock clock speed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

vibe666 wrote: »
    i actually didn't like the turn by turn navigation on my n97 at all, i just ended up using the 'point me to' option most of the time as the talky turny yoke was really annoying most of the time.

i actually really like the n900 navigation, it gives you the essentials (i.e. the basic route and your current position) to help you get to where you are going without being too intrusive.

it would be good if it could do route re-calculations on the fly, but with the map there and your 'proposed' route from start to finish on-screen, it's usually just a matter or guiding yourself and occasionally glancing at the GPS to find your way which suits me fine. :)

the thing i liked the most (apart from angry birds!) was dragging and dropping divx video's to the phone and playing them back natively without worrying about transcoding them into some random format the phone can play. it's the first phone i've had that can do that without any problems for pretty much any file i've tried on it.

i'm very tempted to try overclocking it now too. i don't want to be the only one on the thread with a stock clock speed. :)

For me the built in navigation is useful if you are stuck - I used it on holidays in a rental car and it did help at times but compared to Ovi Maps on the 5800 I would estimate it cost us about 5-6 hours of extra driving on a 1 week holiday in Germany and caused quite a bit of extra stress. The biggest PITA with the built-in version was that you cannot search for a destination without a data connection so it ends up costing quite a bit even if you have the maps preloaded.

There is a paid option that gives excellent turn by turn navigation called Sygic Mobile Maps. It really does work well and is as good as the latest Symbian Ovi Maps based on my experience with v9. There is a new version out (v10) which apparently is even better, obviously cost it the downside and if you assume you will only have the phone for say 2 years, 60 euro for Europe actually works out pretty expensive. Apparently there is a free trial on Ovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Guys,

My router just died yesterday and I'm having to pull out an old eircom Netopia to get me by. (model 2247)
    Problem is now some apps on the N900 don't like working with the Netopia.
    The twitter app 'Mauku' and the weather app 'Foreca' wont work with it no matter how its configured.

Anyone have suggestions or a router brand that will work with both of those apps?

Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

god's toy wrote: »
    Guys,

My router just died yesterday and I'm having to pull out an old eircom Netopia to get me by. (model 2247)
    The twitter app 'Mauku' and the weather app 'Foreca' wont work with it no matter how its configured.

Anyone have suggestions or a router brand that will work with both of those apps?

Thanks for your time.

I have a Linksys WAG 54G2 - it works fine with Foreca and every other programme I use on the N900 but I don't use Mauku. I've had this router for a year or so now and I'm overall very happy with it. My desktop PC is wired to it and there are 2 laptops and the N900 that connect wirelessly.

• Advertisement

Domscard wrote: »
    I have a Linksys WAG 54G2 - it works fine with Foreca and every other programme I use on the N900 but I don't use Mauku. I've had this router for a year or so now and I'm overall very happy with it. My desktop PC is wired to it and there are 2 laptops and the N900 that connect wirelessly.

Cool! thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

spockety wrote: »
    Perhaps this has been posted before I'm not sure, but the universal Nokia CR115 car holder will hold a Nokia N900. You just have to cut out a small notch in the rubber buffers so that it doesn't hit the power button on top. Best of all you can slide open the screen/keyboard while it's in the holder too. I picked one up for less than 10 euro including delivery on eBay from a buyer called e_cell.

care to stick up a pic.. more the notch you put in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

god's toy wrote: »
    Guys,

Thanks for your time.

did you change your dns server in connections to the google ones? known fix for netopia related problems with N900

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    did you change your dns server in connections to the google ones? known fix for netopia related problems with N900

Hi,

Yep and that did look like it sorted it out alright untill I went back later and re tested it, it then stopped working.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I just went to turn on the FM transmitter in the car (I've not done this in months) and the option isn't there? It's now just displaying Clear now playing and Save List. I'm using PR 1.2 help!

• Advertisement

Well that was extremely annoying! I had sent off my n900 for repair and they replaced the Logic board. Looks like the one they gave me had the fm transmitter disabled. Lucky for me theres an app called fmtx-faker that turns it on again....

funny that they didn't just rip out the FM unit to save money.

Nice job getting it sorted!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Just got one of these :D:D No idea where to start, but it's currently installing it's update and we'll take it from there!

Welcome to the club! :D

Just a brief update on NITDroid, I installed the latest version yesterday (0.0.7).

There is an auto-installer available, it repartitions and formats your MicroSD card. http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=84.0
    The auto-installer gives you a boot menu on startup to choose Maemo or Android.

I have installed NitDroid several times so I think it's pretty safe (once you don't have important data stored on your MicroSD card). If doing a manual install be careful repartitioning and ensure you dont repartition the onboard memory!

I found it functional but quite slow and I would not consider it usable. A faster MicroSD card might help as mine is a large card and probably slow, a smaller high class card might work better.

Note that the project is work in progress, no GSM/3G and other features - check http://www.nitdroid.com for details.

Finger crossed this will run perfectly one day. I like the idea of a flash update sometime in the next decade...;)
    OneWayBet wrote: »
    Just a brief update on NITDroid, I installed the latest version yesterday (0.0.7).

There is an auto-installer available, it repartitions and formats your MicroSD card. http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=84.0
    The auto-installer gives you a boot menu on startup to choose Maemo or Android.

I have installed NitDroid several times so I think it's pretty safe (once you don't have important data stored on your MicroSD card). If doing a manual install be careful repartitioning and ensure you dont repartition the onboard memory!

I found it functional but quite slow and I would not consider it usable. A faster MicroSD card might help as mine is a large card and probably slow, a smaller high class card might work better.

Note that the project is work in progress, no GSM/3G and other features - check http://www.nitdroid.com for details.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Finger crossed this will run perfectly one day. I like the idea of a flash update sometime in the next decade...;)

They have 3D acceleration working but performance will improve a lot once they crack 2D hardware acceleration.

I just checked and my MicroSD is class 2 which is the slowest so it is very possible that performance would be acceptable with a class 6 or class 10 card. Class 6 is 3 times faster than class 2.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    They have 3D acceleration working but performance will improve a lot once they crack 2D hardware acceleration.

I just checked and my MicroSD is class 2 which is the slowest so it is very possible that performance would be acceptable with a class 6 or class 10 card. Class 6 is 3 times faster than class 2.

Just got confirmation from the developers that performance is "fluid" with class 6 so time to upgrade my MicroSD I think.

Ok, so the first of many many questions!

I've added the Extras-testing repository to the app manager, but I keep getting a failed to update error (404 not found). I can browse to the webpage etc so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

jenizzle wrote: »
    Ok, so the first of many many questions!

I've added the Extras-testing repository to the app manager, but I keep getting a failed to update error (404 not found). I can browse to the webpage etc so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

What did you type into the catalog? For Extras-testing I have:

Catalogue Name: Extras-Testing
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing
    Distribution: fremantle
    Components: free non-free

• Advertisement

I had an extra / at the end of the address, apparently :rolleyes:... thanking you!

hey guys anyone having any problems with there app amnager in the last few days? when i click on download or update its coming up operation failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

hey guys anyone having any problems with there app amnager in the last few days? when i click on download or update its coming up operation failed?

Have any of your modem settings changed?

nope it wont do it over network either which never had a prob with before

Works fine for me! Is it possible you have one or more invalid catalogues?

right got it sorted lads, disabled all catologues then updated one at a time... now all back to normal.. phew

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

is it at all possible to get free navigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

have I puzzled everyone? (I think not)

goldwing wrote: »
    have I puzzled everyone? (I think not)

I think I know what you are asking but you have posted to the wrong forum if you want to get commercial software for free!

The built in one is pretty crap, Sygic on the other hand is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGV8Ahe_9s

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of any good encrytion software or remote wipe applications?
    I am here doesn't tick all the boxes.

Advertisement