Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

For anyone interested in a Pumps.ie N900 app, I have updated a beta app available here http://84.203.164.145/pumps

Fully functional for finding stations by Area, GPS and Favourites. Also allows you to update station prices (double click on the list).

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

OneWayBet wrote: »
    For anyone interested in a Pumps.ie N900 app, I have updated a beta app available here http://84.203.164.145/pumps

Fully functional for finding stations by Area, GPS and Favourites. Also allows you to update station prices (double click on the list).

the link you gave to download this application doesn't work. I copied it and pasted into my browser so its definitely not taken down wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm away travelling aruond europe, so i left my n900 at home...that was a mistake! Miss having a full internet browser at my finger tips and all my music and some movies.

jessconr wrote: »
    the link you gave to download this application doesn't work. I copied it and pasted into my browser so its definitely not taken down wrong

Sorry, typo in the filename - fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Quick question, which would you N900 guys prefer, your N900 or would you plum for the N8 when available??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

N900.

Now when the N9 becomes available, that might be a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Quick question, which would you N900 guys prefer, your N900 or would you plum for the N8 when available??

I'd like to stay with my N900. Don't fancy a move back to Symbian at the moment although the N8 does look like a nice device.

There should also be the N9 (Meego \ Harmattan) device later in the year but I'll probably give meego at least one iteration before deciding on moving to it. Partly because I can't really justify spending 500 euro on another phone only a year after I got the N900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Stay with 900! I really dont think you will ever see a device as open like this on the market any time soon.

However I am keeping a close eye on the Meego and all it's goodness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

god's toy wrote: »
    Stay with 900! I really dont think you will ever see a device as open like this on the market any time soon.

However I am keeping a close eye on the Meego and all it's goodness!
    yeah what he said!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Look at it this way, with the n900's overclock abilities, RAM and disk space it will happily run Meego and Android for the next while anyway. So best of both worlds really! Symbian is dead to me tbh. The original firmware on the 5800 and n97 made sure of that...

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote: »
    Look at it this way, with the n900's overclock abilities, RAM and disk space it will happily run Meego and Android for the next while anyway. So best of both worlds really! Symbian is dead to me tbh. The original firmware on the 5800 and n97 made sure of that...

Yeah if you ignore the availability of apps then I think Maemo is the best OS on the market. I think apps are fun for novelty value once in a while but I quickly get bored with them and I find that the really "must have" apps all work very well on the N900 e.g. Web Browser, Email, IM, Podcast, Internet Radio etc - these all work very well and perhaps better than any other phone on the market.

The one and only app I'd love to have on the N900 is Sling Player, or alternatively SOPCast so I can watch footie on the go.... oh and it would be nice if the built-in SatNav was usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

One thing missing from N900 for me is quicktime support - still can't login to my ip address and remote view CCTV system - could do this no problem with symbian on the N95...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

N900, purely because I am bitter. :)

Anyway, I couldn't convince Herself that I need a new one so soon after the now legendary "YOU PAID WHAT FOR A PHONE?????" incident of January 2010.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Yeah if you ignore the availability of apps then I think Maemo is the best OS on the market. I think apps are fun for novelty value once in a while but I quickly get bored with them and I find that the really "must have" apps all work very well on the N900 e.g. Web Browser, Email, IM, Podcast, Internet Radio etc - these all work very well and perhaps better than any other phone on the market.

The one and only app I'd love to have on the N900 is Sling Player, or alternatively SOPCast so I can watch footie on the go.... oh and it would be nice if the built-in SatNav was usable.

I have to agree with you there the 'must have' apps all work very well along with koffice. My one gripe with the internet radio player is not being able to adjust the buffer. It's currently at 2seconds or there abouts. I hope we see a PR1.3 with a final few updates but then I think it's time to change OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Hey there folks, just wanted tell anyone thatd listen that i moved away from my n900 yesterday to a slick galaxy s. I moved for the following reasons

1. Less bulk
    2. The galaxy s has android whixh ultimately means better long term softwae supoet. (i got thw feeling nokia had abandoned the n90)
    3. The screen on the galaxy is soo slick
    4. I had a tiny annoying crack on the n900
    5. better battery, or so ive been told-
    6. The camera, good s my n95 and n900 camers were, the galaxy camera is super cool.

Ok things i miss
    7. the qwerty real keyboard

any q's let me know

That Fcam app has killed the notification and keyboard lights.
    Grrr I've read I'm not alone but also don't want to uninstall the app... it makes using the keyboard in the dark a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

corglass wrote: »
    I moved for the following reasons

**LALALALALALALALALALA**

wernstrom! wrote: »
    **LALALALALALALALALALA**

Lol yea I know how you feel, got to play with a Desire last night and was very impressed. Got me wondering how cool(er) the 900 would have been if it got the support it deserved from the start.

Damn you Nokia...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Hey guys, since selling my N900, I havn't been able to open the backup files to extract the contacts, sms stc from the backup file to my new android phone. Anyone got any suggestions?

Most inportant are the contacts. Can these be extacted from an N900 backup file into a CSV file or similar?

Thanks

god's toy wrote: »
    Lol yea I know how you feel, got to play with a Desire last night and was very impressed. Got me wondering how cool(er) the 900 would have been if it got the support it deserved from the start.

Damn you Nokia...

Yup.

Haven't entirely ruled out a Desire HD rather than an N9.

• Advertisement

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Yup.

Haven't entirely ruled out a Desire HD rather than an N9.

Yep indeed I'm also keeping my eyes on that.
    Anything that can run 3.0 will have me drolling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

corglass wrote: »
    Hey guys, since selling my N900, I havn't been able to open the backup files to extract the contacts, sms stc from the backup file to my new android phone. Anyone got any suggestions?

Most inportant are the contacts. Can these be extacted from an N900 backup file into a CSV file or similar?

Thanks
    you can install the Nokia PC Suite (the one before the OVI suite came out, you can still download it from nokia) and set it up to sync your contacts (and calendar, if you use it) with outlook over usb or bluetooth and then export them as a csv file from there, or see if android do an outlook sync app for the new phone and sync everything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The N9 is one ugly looking phone.

Only the intel meego tablets look interesting at the mo.

The N9 is one ugly looking phone.

The N900 is no looker either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Haven't actually seen a confirmed shot of the N9, so withholding judgement on its looks.

But then again, I bought the N900 because of what it can do, not because of what it looked like...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Dunno, I thought the n900 looks the tits.

hmm odd email from ovi saying I get free apps came by my inbox today.
    am I the only one?

Sparks wrote: »

But then again, I bought the N900 because of what it can do, not because of what it looked like...

My network gave me mine for free because the N97 is a buck of sh!t.

Whilst i like it, i need a pretty looking phone to dazzle the proverbial ignorant villagers who don't understand what a truly open phone is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I've been away for a while so I haven't kept up with this thread. Can anyone tell me if there is new firmware due soon and is there any word on the voice navigation for ovi maps?

On a side note what is a four month old n900 worth?

• Advertisement

Nephew wrote: »
    I've been away for a while so I haven't kept up with this thread. Can anyone tell me if there is new firmware due soon and is there any word on the voice navigation for ovi maps?

On a side note what is a four month old n900 worth?

No PR1.2 is still the latest firmware, no word on an upgrade for free satnav (sygic was upgraded but is far from free). I'd say it wouldn't be far off 300 euro.

Not sure a new firmware is really needed as I think the OS is excellent, especially when overclocked. They might release PR1.3 just to roll out the new Qt libraries (Qt Mobility etc.) so that developers dont need to worry about packaging these libraries but I wouldn't expect much else other than some minor tweaks.

Advertisement