Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright lads, i was away from my N900 for a month, but now i'm back and for some reason i can't access the Ovi Store? It comes up telling me that i need to update to the latest firmware, despite the fact i'm running 1.2? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Alright lads, i was away from my N900 for a month, but now i'm back and for some reason i can't access the Ovi Store? It comes up telling me that i need to update to the latest firmware, despite the fact i'm running 1.2? Any ideas?

Works fine for me but doesnt the ovistore for the n900 just use the web browser? or is there an actual app for this? I presume you are not referring to the app manager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cheap n900 from HERE using the code n900280 if you can get it sent to a US address?

Nokiadealz199n900.jpg
    If you still don’t have a N900, this might be one of the best opportunities to get one. You can get the N900 for a low $199 price. All you need to do is buy it for $475 and receive $280 plus additional trade-in dollars, when you trade in your old phone. Do remember to use the code: n900280. Go here to get this deal.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Works fine for me but doesnt the ovistore for the n900 just use the web browser? or is there an actual app for this? I presume you are not referring to the app manager

App manager works fine, it's just when i try and access Ovi, through the web browser, it comes up saying "Please update your N900" and gives instructions on how to do it(ie app manager+update). But i'm running the latest 1.2 firmware. Maybe it's titan's kernel that's messing with it's head.

App manager works fine, it's just when i try and access Ovi, through the web browser, it comes up saying "Please update your N900" and gives instructions on how to do it(ie app manager+update). But i'm running the latest 1.2 firmware. Maybe it's titan's kernel that's messing with it's head.

Not sure what could be causing that, I'm also using 1.2 and titan's kernel. Are you using the built-in browser?

• Advertisement

Not sure what could be causing that, I'm also using 1.2 and titan's kernel. Are you using the built-in browser?

Yeah i'm using the in built browser alright. I think it's time to start removing apps!

EDIT: Sorted it, i was using the "hide user agent" application, which makes it appear to other sites that i am accessing them via any browser i wish, which stops certain sites loading the mobile version.

Yeah i'm using the in built browser alright. I think it's time to start removing apps!

EDIT: Sorted it, i was using the "hide user agent" application, which makes it appear to other sites that i am accessing them via any browser i wish, which stops certain sites loading the mobile version.

Aha, thanks for posting the solution, that might save a few of us from pulling hair later!

Right guys, so i finally installed NitDroid on my N900, and i have to say i'm very impressed with it so far. It is sluggish at times, although i suspect this is down to my class 4 sd card rather than the phone itself. If it had phone support i'd seriously consider a semi-permanent switch of OS. If and when phone support is added i'll probably invest in a class 10 card.

Right guys, so i finally installed NitDroid on my N900, and i have to say i'm very impressed with it so far. It is sluggish at times, although i suspect this is down to my class 4 sd card rather than the phone itself. If it had phone support i'd seriously consider a semi-permanent switch of OS. If and when phone support is added i'll probably invest in a class 10 card.

They're also working on full 2D hardware acceleration which would help reduce CPU load. Also note there are other issues at the moment such as overheating and high battery consumption. Great to see it moving along though.

They're also working on full 2D hardware acceleration which would help reduce CPU load. Also note there are other issues at the moment such as overheating and high battery consumption. Great to see it moving along though.

I certainly noticed the high battery consumption, and it did get noticeably hotter, and actually it misread the battery level. So, it needs a lot of work! But it's great to see the progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Interesting news on how the N900 is used to jailbreak the PS3.
    Sony have since brought out a patch.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/05/ps3-jailbreak-adapted-to-nokia-n900-palm-pre-in-wake-of-austral/

Can't do this with an Android or iPhone. :p

Well despite my praise, i would warn people about doing this, it makes things just a bit unstable. My N900 got itself into a bit of a reboot loop yesterday, which i luckily managed to get out of by removing the sd card which android was installed on. I'm not too sure what caused it tbh, i hadn't done anything funny in Maemo or Android, but in short, backup your stuff using Ovi sweet before mucking around with it!

Well despite my praise, i would warn people about doing this, it makes things just a bit unstable. My N900 got itself into a bit of a reboot loop yesterday, which i luckily managed to get out of by removing the sd card which android was installed on. I'm not too sure what caused it tbh, i hadn't done anything funny in Maemo or Android, but in short, backup your stuff using Ovi sweet before mucking around with it!

Did you use the auto-install, with multiboot? Was your keyboard open or closed? If open it *should* show the boot selection on startup, otherwise it should boot into stock maemo. I have mine set up with 3 choices 1) stock Maemo, 2) Power Kernel (titan), 3) Nitdroid.

Did you use the auto-install, with multiboot? Was your keyboard open or closed? If open it *should* show the boot selection on startup, otherwise it should boot into stock maemo. I have mine set up with 3 choices 1) stock Maemo, 2) Power Kernel (titan), 3) Nitdroid.

I used the autoinstall with multiboot method. Initially i just wanted to boot maemo so my keyboard was closed. It tried to boot maemo and it was showing those four or five dots that kind of sort of move across the screen; but after a few seconds it would just reboot and show the nokia splash screen. After a couple of tries doing this (each time was slightly different) i popped open the keyboard and got into the boot screen. Selecting Maemo effectively did nothing except reboot the device. I was actually able to get into android, but it wasn't stable.

After removing the sd card i was back in. I have since reflashed my device, as it was getting a bit messed up with all the tinkering around. I haven't reinstalled nitdroid. I think i will when they have network access fully up and running, but until then i'll wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mr Macphisto

Hi Can anyone tell me the correct settings for my fmms..

I have tried different settings before but nothing works.

I have just been talking to o2 and they have sent my out settings "O2 MMS" which have now deleted my previous gprs apn. I still can get connected to the web using "02 MMS" though.

fmms also seems to be connecting to wifi when trying to download mms

I am on bill pay with o2.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Hi Can anyone tell me the correct settings for my fmms..

http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#O2_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mr Macphisto

wernstrom! wrote: »

Hi.

Settings didn't work, it still seems to be trying to connect to wifi first...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I used this site for Vodafone but a lot of the files mentioned do not exist on my fmms. Any ideas?

not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but the new vrsion of the OVI suite FINALLY supports syncing with the N900.

i just synced my contacts fine, but it's offering to sync messages, pics and music too on my win7 x64 pc.

you can get it HERE if you're that way inclined. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

vibe666 wrote: »
    not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but the new vrsion of the OVI suite FINALLY supports syncing with the N900.

i just synced my contacts fine, but it's offering to sync messages, pics and music too on my win7 x64 pc.

you can get it HERE if you're that way inclined. :)

Ah, finally. Great stuff.

How is it different from the PC suite? Or is it a replacement?

Although, backing up my 15Gb of music and 3Gb of pictures is going to take some time. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm doing some sync'ing at the moment. It offers the facility to sync conversations, then tells me the device is not compatible :rolleyes: Contacts sync works fine though!

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ah, finally. Great stuff.

How is it different from the PC suite? Or is it a replacement?
    it's really just a more integrated, but bloated fancy version of the PC suite with all the online OVI stuff built into it.

the previous versions always brought my PC to a crawl when i tried them and since the n900 wasn't compatible anyway before now i always used the PC suite instead. i'm not sure if this performs better now or if it's just that i have a faster pc. :)
    jenizzle wrote: »
    I'm doing some sync'ing at the moment. It offers the facility to sync conversations, then tells me the device is not compatible :rolleyes: Contacts sync works fine though!
    ah right, not just me then. didn't tell me it wasn't compatible, it just kept telling me to plug/unplug all the time like it had lost the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's really just a more integrated, but bloated fancy version of the PC suite with all the online OVI stuff built into it.

the previous versions always brought my PC to a crawl when i tried them and since the n900 wasn't compatible anyway before now i always used the PC suite instead. i'm not sure if this performs better now or if it's just that i have a faster pc.

It certainly is slick, but it's worth it for one thing alone - the ability to make playlists. I struggled with the PC Suite version.

Nolan Sisters Nirvana, here I come. Or is that Nolan Sisters and Nirvana?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

My head is wrecked with Fmms too, and anytime I've asked on here I've also been linked to that (crappy) page on maemo wiki that doesn't work.

Can anyone take 5 minutes to do a simple step by step guide please, I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi guys. I rejigged my contact sync to no longer use PC Suite but rather use Mail for Exchange. I have a problem now in that in my contacts I only see the option to 'Skype IM'. There is no longer an option to 'Skype Call'. Any ideas?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It certainly is slick, but it's worth it for one thing alone - the ability to make playlists. I struggled with the PC Suite version.

Nolan Sisters Nirvana, here I come. Or is that Nolan Sisters and Nirvana?
    i'm more of a "Smells Like Rockin' Robin" kinda guy. :D

So, anyone going to the Meego Conference in the Aviva tommorrow?
    http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Conference_2010

bedlam wrote: »
    It's not November just yet ;)

Oops redface.gif I should have waited until I parked up the Delorean before posting. I won't spoil the surprise for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

So, anyone going to the Meego Conference in the Aviva tommorrow?
    http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Conference_2010

Any chance of Nokia making a product announcement at that?

I was living under the faint illusion that they would've announced something more interesting than the E7 by now.

Leaning heavily towards jumping to the Desire HTC.

Yes, i know Symbian is supposed to be all new and improved, but there'll always be a niggling doubt at the back of my mind.

• Advertisement

Any chance of Nokia making a product announcement at that?

I was living under the faint illusion that they would've announced something more interesting than the E7 by now.

Leaning heavily towards jumping to the Desire HTC.

Yes, i know Symbian is supposed to be all new and improved, but there'll always be a niggling doubt at the back of my mind.

Id say theres a good chance of the Meego N9 finally coming out at the event. Theres no way Id go back to Symbian after getting used to Maemo but the N9 might tempt me. I prefer Maemo to Andoid so not tempted in that direction at the moment.

Advertisement