Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That conference would seem to be the most obvious place; first MeeGo conference, middle of Q4 (the scheduled release timeframe), first MeeGo phone...

And yeah, the N9 would be tempting, if it lives up to all the based-on-not-very-much-at-all hype. It'd take a pretty good platform to shift me off my N900...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Sparks wrote: »
    That conference would seem to be the most obvious place; first MeeGo conference, middle of Q4 (the scheduled release timeframe), first MeeGo phone...

And yeah, the N9 would be tempting, if it lives up to all the based-on-not-very-much-at-all hype. It'd take a pretty good platform to shift me off my N900...

I wouldn't be surprised if they release the final? firmware PR1.3 just before the conference to keep the whingers off their back!

They'd want to get their skates on in releasing the Qt framework to N900 and Symbian. It's a real PITA for developers not having the framework embedded on the devices as they need to package it up with the smart installer on Symbian and users need to manually install Qt on the N900 unless the .deb is hosted in the Garage. Less developers = less apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Folks, came across the auto disconnect app. Looks like exactly what I needed so downloaded it. Not very techie so not 100% sure what each setting does. Is there a help page for the app so I can try and optimise my settings? Can't seem to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This thread has gone too quiet lately!

Has anyone any cool apps or things they have tried?

I'm having a bit of annoying problem with my N900 when using my home wifi connection. It seems to drop it when it's idle, so if i connect and don't do anything immediately it will drop the internet connection. The only way to resolve it is to close the connection and open it and get xterm to constantly ping google or any site. Does anyone have any ideas? I was always a bit rubbish with networking!

PS this only seems to happen on my home wifi, other devices like laptops etc are fine.

This thread has gone too quiet lately!

Has anyone any cool apps or things they have tried?

I'm having a bit of annoying problem with my N900 when using my home wifi connection. It seems to drop it when it's idle, so if i connect and don't do anything immediately it will drop the internet connection. The only way to resolve it is to close the connection and open it and get xterm to constantly ping google or any site. Does anyone have any ideas? I was always a bit rubbish with networking!

PS this only seems to happen on my home wifi, other devices like laptops etc are fine.

Out of curiousity, why would you want to stay connected to wifi wasting battery when it is inactive? I think mine does the same but this is the way I want it to behave. If I am online with Skype or whatever then it stays connected but otherwise it just connects when it needs to.
    Sorry if I've misunderstood your problem, mine just works the way I want it to by default. I have wifi power saving set to max, maybe you should turn it off if you don't want to save power :D Go to settings/ Internet Connections / Connections / <select your network> / Edit / Next / Next / Next / Advanced / Other / WLAN transmission power.

• Advertisement

It's weird. My N900 will say it's connected, but be unable to ping sites. So for example, if i just connect to my wireless at home, and then go to view a site, it will return an error saying, cannot load page. Then i open Xterm and attempt to ping something, and again there is nothing. So i have to disconnect and reconnect to the wireless and immediately start to continuously ping something to keep it active.

I really don't understand it.

It's weird. My N900 will say it's connected, but be unable to ping sites. So for example, if i just connect to my wireless at home, and then go to view a site, it will return an error saying, cannot load page. Then i open Xterm and attempt to ping something, and again there is nothing. So i have to disconnect and reconnect to the wireless and immediately start to continuously ping something to keep it active.

ok that does sound annoying. Do you have anything like AutoDisconnect installed? I presume you've tried rebooting?
    Does it work ok on other wifi networks? If so perhaps one possibility is an incompatibility between your wireless access point and the N900. Might be worth experimenting with different settings such as enabling B mode only, or maybe try upgrading the router's firmware.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Might be worth experimenting with different settings such as enabling B mode only, or maybe try upgrading the router's firmware.

I'm beginning to think it has to be something router related tbh. I reflashed a few weeks ago, the problem was happening before and after the reflash so i can't see how it can be the N900 anymore. Boooooo. Thanks for the help.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Tbh, my phone doesn't like to multi-task at all. Like this morning I was checking my email on the browser and the alarm went off - it had a hissy fit of random beeps and noises and took a minute or two to sort itself out even though I've upped the CPU on it. Tis quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I had some wifi related probs too and in every case it was the routher not the device. Had a belkin and lotts of probs so got a better one (still belkin) and was sorted for a short while but they all came back.
    Got rid of 2nd one and am using Netgear now, soo much better with no crashing or messing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Are there any known issues with battery life deteriorating?

Standby was never great, but these days it's noticeably shorter.

I'm not using the phone any more, or less, or doing anything different than i was 4 or 5 months ago, and i'm using the correct charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Sounds like it might be some compatibility issue with the power saving mode between the phone and your router. You could try to change power saving from the advanced settings for that connection but it will affect your battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks like we might be (maybe/sort of) getting flash 10.1 support after all. :)

http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/08/flash-10-1-comes-to-the-n900-well-sort-of/

vibe666 wrote: »
    looks like we might be (maybe/sort of) getting flash 10.1 support after all. :)

http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/08/flash-10-1-comes-to-the-n900-well-sort-of/

Out of interest, what's so great about flash 10.1? If it is more features, are there many websites using the new features? Just wondering what the bottom line is, will it improve the RTE player for example?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Out of interest, what's so great about flash 10.1? If it is more features, are there many websites using the new features? Just wondering what the bottom line is, will it improve the RTE player for example?

I think the main selling point is that it has hardware support i.e. flash processing moves on to the GPU leaving the CPU with more space to run the phone smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Handed my N900 into Vodafone for repair today.

USB not working anymore - works fine for charging when plugged into a socket but not when connected via cable to a PC, with the result that I can't synch with my Outlook calendar, contacts etc. PC comes up with an error saying 'USB not recognized'.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/10/nokia-n900-micro-usb-connectors-prone-to-failure/
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107

Sad to see it go but luckily I've got an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S to play with while I'm waiting. It's a powerful piece of kit that I'll find hard to give up. I had forgotten how easy it was to download a multitude of useless apps.

Now to get my PS3 working with Android...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh I lthought I'd lost my n900 yesterday and I was'nt too upset. That's not right :(

If anyone is finding their N900 slow, download this app and use the recommended settings. My N900 is flying along now, and even though it hasn't been rebooted in 2 and a half days i haven't noticed any slow down.

I still think this phone is unbelievable, the lack of apps is a pain in the arse, but still.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

dregin wrote: »
    I think the main selling point is that it has hardware support i.e. flash processing moves on to the GPU leaving the CPU with more space to run the phone smoothly.

+1

Unfortunately that article hints that there i no acceleration in the demo version doing the rounds.

dregin wrote: »

Ah, now I see why people are getting so excited :-)

• Advertisement

If anyone is finding their N900 slow, download this app and use the recommended settings. My N900 is flying along now, and even though it hasn't been rebooted in 2 and a half days i haven't noticed any slow down.
    Any sign of that speeding up the email app startup times?
    I'm thinking that it's going off and requesting something large from the network, like the contents of my google spam directory or something, because it's taking up to 40 seconds or so to load up into the main menu.

I'm thinking that it's going off and requesting something large from the network, like the contents of my google spam directory or something, because it's taking up to 40 seconds or so to load up into the main menu.

Just installed it, I can't say I've noticed a huge difference but then I didn't find it slow beforehand so there might be a slight improvement. Interesting app anyway I'll play around with it a bit, thanks Alanstrainor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I still think this phone is unbelievable, the lack of apps is a pain in the arse, but still.
    Just installed it there. Certainly seems a bit snappier. Nice.

Tbh, i just don't use the email app any more. I just fire up the web browser and go to gmail. Much quicker and easier!

EDIT: Remember, when you install it, you have to configure it with the proposed settings.

Tbh, i just don't use the email app any more. I just fire up the web browser and go to gmail. Much quicker and easier!

I just timed mine, took about 0.2 seconds to open the app and about 15 seconds to refresh 2 mailboxes.

I just timed mine, took about 0.2 seconds to open the app and about 15 seconds to refresh 2 mailboxes.

Just timed mine there and it's about the same with the email app. And gmail took it 15 seconds from clicking on the shortcut on my desktop to being open and showing my full email in the browser.
    I'm running my overclock at 850Mhz, with the ideal profile running. And the swappolube app configured with the recommended settings.

Just timed mine there and it's about the same with the email app. And gmail took it 15 seconds from clicking on the shortcut on my desktop to being open and showing my full email in the browser.
    I'm running my overclock at 850Mhz, with the ideal profile running. And the swappolube app configured with the recommended settings.

Nice config! I've got the exact same setup :)

Hm. Something's wrong with mine so, because it just took 33 seconds from tapping the desktop widget to seeing the full list of mailboxes and about five seconds from tapping a mailbox to seeing its contents. I'm using gmail via imap over 3G, but surely that can't delay things that long, especially when I get the same times over wifi...

edit: And I'm running overclocked at 850MHz on ideal profile as well, but without swappolube.

Thanks bedlam, that fixed it. Instant email once again!
    I'm guessing it loaded in All Mail and kept that and that's what slowed down load times?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

manster wrote: »
    Handed my N900 into Vodafone for repair today.

USB not working anymore - works fine for charging when plugged into a socket but not when connected via cable to a PC, with the result that I can't synch with my Outlook calendar, contacts etc. PC comes up with an error saying 'USB not recognized'.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/10/nokia-n900-micro-usb-connectors-prone-to-failure/
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107

Sad to see it go but luckily I've got an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S to play with while I'm waiting. It's a powerful piece of kit that I'll find hard to give up. I had forgotten how easy it was to download a multitude of useless apps.

Now to get my PS3 working with Android...

It worries me that a number of N900 owners are beginning to report charging problems and more USB failures on Maomo. These even include people like me who filed down all the protruding pins at the start. These problems seem to be emerging at the latter end of year 1 and some are experiencing difficulty getting retailers to repair or replace.
    What is going to happen after the warranties are up? Apparently, repair is not an option in many cases and the phone is just junk if you can't charge it :eek: Has anyone had any luck sorting out this problem with Irish operators like O2 or Vodafone?

Advertisement