Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

HA! love it, just as start to to fall in love with my i9000 and android, Nokia give the good news.
    Good thing I didn't sell it, only put my 2nd sim into it.

Cant wait to get into Meego! it will be like new phone all over again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wish they'd hurry up, I'm dying to start using meego.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I posted something about this last month I think

www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Nokia-N900-Gets-MeeGo1-1-on-21-27-October

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

podge018 wrote: »
    I posted something about this last month I think

www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Nokia-N900-Gets-MeeGo1-1-on-21-27-October

Only a week or two left. Sweet. Hopefully it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

The move to Android now seems substantially less imminent and somewhat less inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

That's certainly interesting. Maemo has been annoying the hell out of me lately so I'd be moving to Meego on it's release. Sadly I won't be holding my breath... PR1.2 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LoGiE wrote: »
    That's certainly interesting. Maemo has been annoying the hell out of me lately so I'd be moving to Meego on it's release. Sadly I won't be holding my breath... PR1.2 anyone?

i still think Maemo is a great OS tbh. And i'm not so sure about Meego, i'll definitely try it out! But whether or not i will switch permanently remains to be seen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It's a good OS but It's just not (never did?) getting the support it deserves anymore and It's full of bugs.

I find it incredibly frustrating when watching an avi file and I receive a call. The phone stutters all over the place and generally I'll miss the call.

The radio application craps out whenever it feels like it. (Recieve a call, open the web browser at the same time etc)

The Internet radio has a 2 second buffer if even. (making it useless imo using 3g)

Support for the n900 in windows is terrible. Limited Ovi suite support, Connection drops while transfering files. ( I have compared this to unbuntu which connects perfectly over bluetooth and wired)

Having played around with Android and the Iphone4 I have to say I'm seriously tempted to make a change in the new year. Meego/NITDroid is last chance saloon for my n900.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

think I'll be making a change anyway. Turned the phone off this morning by accident and it's refused to come on at all ever since. Currently charging off the PC but still not coming on. Reflash i guess blah blah.

tbh it's everything that I hoped AND feared that a linux based phone would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bambi, have you tried taking out the battery and then restarting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sparks wrote: »
    Bambi, have you tried taking out the battery and then restarting?

yep, didnt work when i tried it on the bus but worked in the office. Daftness all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bedlam wrote: »
    Looks like dual boot won't be an option for consumers

Pfffft. Who says we are consumers? We are techies....

Just looking at some of the screenshots/videos of Meego. Does it look too "cartoony" to anyone else? I know there is still a lot of work to be done, but I can't take my phone's interface seriously if it looks as if it should be on kids tv.

Still, I just know I am going to install it at some stage along with Android.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Pfffft. Who says we are consumers? We are techies....

Just looking at some of the screenshots/videos of Meego. Does it look too "cartoony" to anyone else? I know there is still a lot of work to be done, but I can't take my phone's interface seriously if it looks as if it should be on kids tv.

Still, I just know I am going to install it at some stage along with Android.

Yup, i was thinking the same thing. I'm really not too sure about the UI. But i'll definitely be installing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I got myself a Gorilla Mini portable charger recently, really handy for multi-day trips away when you can't be sure of access to mains for charging. I think it should offer about 6 full charges. Nice to be able to really use the phone to the max without worrying about battery drain. Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, it's a little bigger and heavier than a 2.5" drive caddy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002R0CO3M/ref=oss_product?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

god's toy wrote: »

You beat me to it!

You beat me to it!

heart was pumping while posting. wanted to be the first! lol

maemo.org is not holding up too well :) too many users online.

Installing it now.

heart was pumping while posting. wanted to be the first! lol

maemo.org is not holding up too well :) too many users online.

Installing it now.

Are you reflashing? Or are you able to install OTA?

Are you reflashing? Or are you able to install OTA?
    ota but it told me I have to use Ovi software. (Testing the new Ovi alfa anyway)

I lost loads loads of stuff as I was in such a hurry to update.. but at least the app restore thing works and it's re download 500 + mb of apps.

I'm not getting offered the update, tried OTA, NSU and Ovi.

• Advertisement

Odd, suppose it could be like last time and it's been released over a few days.

Nokia music is DRM free! ha ha

Odd, suppose it could be like last time and it's been released over a few days.

Nokia music is DRM free! ha ha

Where did you buy your phone? Mine came from the UK.

As of last Monday, i'm N900-less.

Yes, i'm a turncoat, but i'm still interested to see what Meego's like, so i'm going to lurk, and might pick people's brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just updated via OTA, (Vodafone Ireland handset).

Now to see what's different and whether all my old apps and settings are intact.

ota but it told me I have to use Ovi software. (Testing the new Ovi alfa anyway)

I lost loads loads of stuff as I was in such a hurry to update.. but at least the app restore thing works and it's re download 500 + mb of apps.

It's not showing up OTA for me...strange. I think i'll just wait tho, im in no real rush

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Where did you buy your phone? Mine came from the UK.
    Mine came from Hon Kong.

Not really seeing anything faster.. but then I just dumped 77 apps onto it.. maybe need to delete some.

It's not showing up OTA for me...strange. I think i'll just wait tho, im in no real rush

Yep give it a day or so I suppose.

It's just appeared here.

So just so im 100% sure, if i reflash, do i lose all my music pictures etc?

It's just appeared here.

So just so im 100% sure, if i reflash, do i lose all my music pictures etc?

Last time i reflashed, i'm pretty sure i didn't loose any pictures, music.

You should probably run the backup application first though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Not appearing OTA for me yet either (Vodafone Ireland) but I think I'll just wait.

Advertisement