Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Sparks wrote: »
    A quick reboot later and yup, conversations is now all sane again.

Having some problems. Did it all through Ovi Suite. Backed up everything but restore does not give the option to restore device settings and applications (backup gave this option which I selected). Really annoying. Any ideas?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I didn't back up any of the apps before updating... ah well, I have the day off work, might as well make myself useful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

couldn't be arsed backing everything up, so i just went ahead and did the upgrade. the only thing on it worth keeping is my contacts & calendar anyway, everything else can easily be replaced.

did anyone see this video of one of the meego guys showing the n900 dual booting meego & maemo?

http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/27/demo-the-n900-dual-booting-maemo-meego/

looks like its actually going to be pretty straightforward to do once it's all been released.

just install the uboot boot loader from extras-devel and stick in your bootable microSD with meego and of you go. can't see that being beyond the capabilities of anyone here anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vibe666 wrote: »
    couldn't be arsed backing everything up, so i just went ahead and did the upgrade. the only thing on it worth keeping is my contacts & calendar anyway, everything else can easily be replaced.

did anyone see this video of one of the meego guys showing the n900 dual booting meego & maemo?

http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/27/demo-the-n900-dual-booting-maemo-meego/

looks like its actually going to be pretty straightforward to do once it's all been released.

just install the uboot boot loader from extras-devel and stick in your bootable microSD with meego and of you go. can't see that being beyond the capabilities of anyone here anyway. :)

there's a different boot loader which works better. I presume since it works with NitDroid it would work with meego; but what it does is, it boots into maemo when the keyboard is closed and when you turn it on with the keyboard open you can choose the OS. Just seems like a slicker way of doing things.

Just tried to reinstall a few apps there (call notify, swappolube etc) and I'm getting a 'packages missing' error: python2.5-qt4-common :confused: I tried to install PyQt4 too, got the same error :mad: Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The UK update still isn't out :(

Can someone test WebTexter and Extended Call Log and let me know if they work correctly with the new firmware?

matrim wrote: »

Can someone test WebTexter and Extended Call Log and let me know if they work correctly with the new firmware?

Yeah i know, im still waiting. I'm not too pushed tbh, i'll hold out for it rather than reflashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Install the global update so. The hardware's all the same so either will work (I did PR1.2 on UK first and then Global)

Sparks wrote: »
    Install the global update so. The hardware's all the same so either will work (I did PR1.2 on UK first and then Global)

I know I could but would rather wait for the UK firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

My phone has been running like a donkey for the last few weeks, hates multitasking, loves stuttering during music etc.

Before I update, I'd like to try sort that out a bit.
    Any apps notorious for casuing problems? (fmms, ****ed up my internet connections and didn't delete its ones after i uninstalled for example)

Any good apps, to tell me what's killing my system so I can pinpoint them myself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

PR1.3 has broken the radio app for me. it just crashes to desktop... damn this bloody thing.

Jaysis, i think i'll leave the update for as long as possible at this rate!

I installed Need for Speed Underground and it's deadly! Finally some proper gaming.

I did some messing about with extras-devel and anything starting with Qt4, seems to have done the job but I've no idea how. Will test out websms and the other popular ones now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, I just did an install from Nokia PC suite, it overwrote what was already there.

I haven't tried re-installing it yet.

In other news - Engadget reports you can run WebOS games on the N900.

I WANT NEED FOR SPEED! :D

Stuck a few games on to mine last night. Run VERY well.

Regarding 1.3, I'm finding it far snappier in pretty much all areas. It just feels like they've knocked the dust off the code. Haven't really noticed much new apart from the fact that I can now stream AVI over http from my server properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This phone is really starting to get on my tits now. I can't seem to download any apps over WiFi. I've changed the settings to Google DNS (should there be anything in IP Address?) but that doesn't seem to work. Not sure how the settings changed by the way as I had them at that.

I'm not getting all the catalogues, checking for updates is now freezing halfway through.

Could somebody please tell me how my internet connections should be set up, or what might be the problem here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

LoGiE wrote: »
    PR1.3 has broken the radio app for me. it just crashes to desktop... damn this bloody thing.

I also had some trouble with the FM radio (saying it could not load the radio kernel module), I've reinstalled it and it now works, though if I leave it unattended for too long it hangs and needs to be killed from the task managed (i..e close app not responding).

I've tried WebTexter, seems to work fine :)

I was in the same situation (UK variant 203) but I decided to flash the global firmware using flasher3.5.

These are the steps I took:

1. Backup using the backup app
    2. Download and install flasher3.5 onto my laptop
    3. Flash with these options:
    flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R

4. Restore using the backup app. This downloads and installs all the missing apps.

Result was pretty much no data loss as most of my data was stored in /home/user, just had to reconfigure a few minor apps.

The phone is so much faster with PR1.3, I highly recommend upgrading. For me it far outweighs the downside (e.g. a niggle with the FM radio app).

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I was in the same situation (UK variant 203) but I decided to flash the global firmware using flasher3.5.

These are the steps I took:

1. Backup using the backup app
    2. Download and install flasher3.5 onto my laptop
    3. Flash with these options:
    flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R

4. Restore using the backup app. This downloads and installs all the missing apps.

Result was pretty much no data loss as most of my data was stored in /home/user, just had to reconfigure a few minor apps.

The phone is so much faster with PR1.3, I highly recommend upgrading. For me it far outweighs the downside (e.g. a niggle with the FM radio app).

I'm going to give this a go when my N900 charges up. I'm too impatient!

Good luck, I'm surprised you lasted this long :D

BTW the restore reinstalled the power kernel which I had left at 600Mhz until now. I just loaded the 'ideal' kernel and my N900 is so fast I'm worried about picking up a speeding ticket :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bear in mind if the maemo repositories are busy or fooked or whatever it is that happens to them half the time then the backup won't restore your apps. I had to run the manual restore a coupla times and even then it didnt pick up half my apps :confused:

Good luck, I'm surprised you lasted this long :D

BTW the restore reinstalled the power kernel which I had left at 600Mhz until now. I just loaded the 'ideal' kernel and my N900 is so fast I'm worried about picking up a speeding ticket :cool:

Haha so am i to be honest!

Im just curious to see how much faster it is! I mean my N900 isn't slow at the minute running ideal at 850!

Bambi wrote: »
    bear in mind if the maemo repositories are busy or fooked or whatever it is that happens to them half the time then the backup won't restore your apps. I had to run the manual restore a coupla times and even then it didnt pick up half my apps :confused:

There's nothing too important i have to install. The last time i did this, i actually didn't let my backup reinstall the apps i had as there were ones there that i thought were doing more harm than good. So long as i have the essentials i'll survive.

Haha so am i to be honest!

Im just curious to see how much faster it is! I mean my N900 isn't slow at the minute running ideal at 850!

Just tried opening 10 apps and sliding screens is still instantaneous.
    No more stuttering audio when multitasking
    Modest (email) is lightening quick

Just tried opening 10 apps and sliding screens is still instantaneous.
    No more stuttering audio when multitasking
    Modest (email) is lightening quick

Flashing in progress through a virtual XP machine. VMWARE DONT FAIL ME NOW!

Now that Qt Mobility ships with PR1.3 anyone who wants to try out my pumps.ie app (for viewing nearby petrol/diesel prices) just click here on your N900 to install http://84.203.164.145/pumps/pumps_0.4.1_armel.deb

It's fully functional and stable, it'll be put up on pumps.ie web site once I get the Symbian version tested. Feel free to PM me if you encounter any problems.

So im all setup with PR 1.3. And i suppose it's fast!

The web browser seems lightning fast when starting up, even heavy pages seem to load super super quick. Boards loads in under 9 seconds, engadget loads in about 10!

I dont know if all this speed is as a result of a reflash, or just streamlining of code on Nokia's part. I'm hoping it's the latter. We'll see i guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So im all setup with PR 1.3. And i suppose it's fast!

The web browser seems lightning fast when starting up, even heavy pages seem to load super super quick. Boards loads in under 9 seconds, engadget loads in about 10!

I dont know if all this speed is as a result of a reflash, or just streamlining of code on Nokia's part. I'm hoping it's the latter. We'll see i guess.

I believe it's the latter. I done a re-flash not too long ago and I didn't feel any speed difference. The new update is a big improvement speed wise.

I believe it's the latter. I done a re-flash not too long ago and I didn't feel any speed difference. The new update is a big improvement speed wise.

After some more testing i'd have to agree.

I decided to test the music player, to see if i could get it to "stutter" when i was browsing and opening apps. I opened 9 full web pages, reddit, boards, facebook, engadget, ebay, google, gmail, youtube and rte.ie; and the music player didn't stutter once. I was impressed with that, but then i went on to open up some pre games(monopoly & need for speed) and other small apps and there was still no stuttering in the music. Very impressive indeed.

• Advertisement

What's the app to play pre games? Or is it just the games themselves?

Advertisement