Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Flashing in progress through a virtual XP machine. VMWARE DONT FAIL ME NOW!
    whats with everyone using VM's to re-flash?

i reflashed in 64bit Win7 over USB without any problems. :confused:

edit: unless you're a linux head?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vibe666 wrote: »
    whats with everyone using VM's to re-flash?

i reflashed in 64bit Win7 over USB without any problems. :confused:

edit: unless you're a linux head?

Nope i'm not a linux head. I had just heard of people having trouble with win7 64bit so i figured since i had an xp VM i may as well use it.

Oh and matrim, the app is "preenv" it's in extras -devel i think. I had to do a:
    sudo gainroot
    apt-get update
    apt-get install preenv
    As it wasn't showing up in the app manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Meego is available now for the n900. Anyone found a decent guide on how to dual boot it?

Meego is available now for the n900. Anyone found a decent guide on how to dual boot it?
    there's a guide here, but it looks like there's a few grey areas still. http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/U-Boot_from_scratch

interestingly enough, there's also a thread showing ubuntu running on the n900. :)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58083

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Now that Qt Mobility ships with PR1.3 anyone who wants to try out my pumps.ie app (for viewing nearby petrol/diesel prices) just click here on your N900 to install http://84.203.164.145/pumps/pumps_0.4.1_armel.deb

It's fully functional and stable, it'll be put up on pumps.ie web site once I get the Symbian version tested. Feel free to PM me if you encounter any problems.

Just tried this on N900 PR1.3, installs fine :D
    When poking about under settings it seems to be trying to log in even though I had no user name and password entered.

btw - should queries about this app be in a diff thread - they'll prob get lost in here!

-Coley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I'm going to wait a whlie until there is a compelling reason to use it, I'm finding Maemo to be everything I want in a phone at the moment except for lack of apps and I'm not sure Meego is going to improve on that for a while. Still great to see it will work on the N900 so the handset still has a bright future.

coley wrote: »
    Just tried this on N900 PR1.3, installs fine :D
    When poking about under settings it seems to be trying to log in even though I had no user name and password entered.

btw - should queries about this app be in a diff thread - they'll prob get lost in here!

-Coley.

Thanks for reporting back, there hasn't been much interest in the app here so I figured most of the N900 community don't own a car ;-) I'm using it myself but I think the Symbian version will have a lot more demand. The app is developed with Qt and so is portable across both platforms.

Yes I need to improve the auto-login all it's trying to achieve is check that the password is correct after editing it. I'll improve this in the next version.
    Not sure about any other thread for discussing the app but feel free to PM me. There might be a forum for it on pumps.ie once it is launched.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    There might be a forum for it on pumps.ie once it is launched.

Quick update, Maemo pumps.ie app available at http://www.cmcmobile.com/pumps/pumps.deb
    Assumes PR1.3 installed.

Also Symbian Touch http://www.cmcmobile.com/pumps/pumps.sis

Anyone got a way of downloading and auto-refreshing the latest national weather and displaying it in a widget?

http://met.ie/weathermaps/nat00_weather.png

I think this can be done with Queen BeeCon, I'll see if I can figure it out but if anyone else has done that I'd like to hear about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

PR 1.3 has finally shown up for me (UK firmware) so I should get a chance to update this evening :)

• Advertisement

My touch screen has completely stopped working!!!!! Cock...

My touch screen has completely stopped working!!!!! Cock...

Can you try a re-flash without the touchscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has anyone else's virtual keyboard stopped working? I can't send an SMS unless I use the physical keyboard.

No more sending texts while the phone is in the windscreen mount. :o

matrim wrote: »
    Can you try a re-flash without the touchscreen?

Just reflashed...the screen is still completely unresponsive. Crap.

The screen actually registers "touches" every once in a while on it's own without anything touching it.

Has anyone ever flashed the eMMC? Having some trouble...want to get the device back to how it was on day 1.

bedlam wrote: »
    Had to do it for 1.2. It's exactly as described here

essentially:

flasher -F <n900_image> -f
    flasher -F <n900_emmc_image> -f -R

note you are leaving the -R off the first flasher command as you don't want the device to reboot before you flash the emmc

Yup. That's what i have but i get to this point and the whole process stops:
    Image 'mmc', size 255947 kB
            Version RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA
    Suitable USB device not found, waiting.
    USB device found found at bus bus-0, device address \\.\libusb0-0001--0x0421-0x0
    Found device RX-51, hardware revision 2101
    NOLO version 1.4.14
    Version of 'sw-release': RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_MR0
    Booting device into flash mode.
    Suitable USB device not found, waiting.

This is after reflashing with the flasher -F <n900_image> -f command.

I tried to update OTA last night but it didn't work, and the UK firmware wasn't on the site to download for flashing so I just decided to do the Global one anyway.

All went well, although I had problems installing a couple of apps. SeriesFinale and a couple of others. I think it was something to do with python QT, but I didn't get a chance to investigate it fully.

So far even without the power kernel etc it does seem faster that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bernik12

Hi all,

As I mentioned before I'm not a techie but really wanted the N900 and have been a proud owner since Feb. I wouldn't have a clue about programming/developing but it was set up for my needs with my favorite apps, Kernel installed and OC to ideal limits and I was very happy.

However, since PR1.3 my desktop widgets are lost whenever I reboot my device. Can anyone help or tell me how I make sure the widgets are retained when I power up/down my N900 as I have not adjusted any settings apart from adding PR1.3. Also is QCPUFreq the only way of OCing with the new firmware? I can't seem to load ideal limits through X-Terminal now (have tried deinstalling & reinstalling Power Kernel but no joy)?

Many thanks
    Karl

I'm going to try Nitdroid and Meego soon. I went looking for a microsd today but nowhere had class 6 ones. As soon as I get one I play to give them both a go.

Just as suddenly my touch screen stopped working...it has come back to life. Very Very odd. I'm hoping it was just a hiccup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just as suddenly my touch screen stopped working...it has come back to life. Very Very odd. I'm hoping it was just a hiccup!

I'm in the same boat now...phone battery died today at 5:30ish (fully charged this morning) and ever since then the touch screen is'nt responding and of course i cant use the keyboard to enter my PIN, nice one Nokia.

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat now...phone battery died today at 5:30ish (fully charged this morning) and ever since then the touch screen is'nt responding and of course i cant use the keyboard to enter my PIN, nice one Nokia.

It's very odd indeed. I presume you're running PR1.3?

All i did was reflash about 5 times! Out of pure frustration more than anything. I never did manage to flash my eMMC, but i left it on and charging for the whole day i was in college and when i came back i picked it up and it was working. I didn't have to do anything to it. I now have everything(well almost everything) installed again and i'm back to where i was.

I wish i knew what caused it, or how i fixed it because it's infuriating.

If you take out your sim card, the phone will boot up straight into your desktop. From there you can open xterm by holding ctrl+shift x. But what you'd want to do in there i'm not sure! I started manually deleting stuff, but there's probably no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

iIhad a lock code on it so that won't work i think. Got back in, after a load of boots the screen started responding sporadically to touch so, after numerous attempts, I could input the PIN's.

the OS has completely reset its time and date etc. It's still hanging/sluggish and the touch response is all over the place. Basically unusable
    tbh it's my opinion that this OS is now stuck together with dogsh*t and I'm off never to return to Nokia once windows 7 matures :eek:

Very good guide on installing Meego on the n900 here
    http://www.maemofanatics.com/how-to-install-meego-1-1-on-your-n900/

I may give it a shot over the wkend and will report in if I do.

Very good guide on installing Meego on the n900 here
    http://www.maemofanatics.com/how-to-install-meego-1-1-on-your-n900/

I may give it a shot over the wkend and will report in if I do.

Saw that. The only thing holding me up at the moment is that none of the shops I tried had a class 6 MicroSD card

matrim wrote: »
    Saw that. The only thing holding me up at the moment is that none of the shops I tried had a class 6 MicroSD card

Ha, I've just spent the morning doing the same thing. Not a class 6 in sight. :D

bedlam wrote: »
    Lots here although you won't get delivery until Monday.

Where I am living, I probably wouldn't get delivery until Christmas. :D

(hint: look at the signature)

Although I was thinking of them and getting somebody back home to post it out to me.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Where I am living, I probably wouldn't get delivery until Christmas. :D

(hint: look at the signature)

isn't that the other side of cavan? :D

I am slightly tempted by this but it's a lot of money just to satisfy my curiosity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Advertisement