Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

hal9000 wrote: »
    source?

friend who works for a mobile phone distributor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Amazon.co.uk has pushed back to start of December now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Well...
    Better they delay it than repeat a disaster like the n97, don't you think?

I'm fed up with half-finished releases running on shoddy firmwares. What next? Early adopters get a free dunce-hat with their phone?

Nah, if the delay means it's 'finished' upon release, let them take all the time they 'need'. No one's ever died of late phone release.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Feckin Hell !

Amazon email there saying :

"Nokia N900 Mobile Computer with Maemo 5 Software"
    Estimated arrival date: December 03 2009 - December 04 2009

This blows ...
    fine, the product isn't ready... but if they had said that from the outset of the first delay, people would accept it and it would be fine.... rather than being constantly dissappointed
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep got same email too.

I'm not angry at Amazon really as they are just giving out the info they been told.

If this leads to a better and more stable phone then I'm happy to wait.

• Advertisement

No I agree, it's not amazons doing.... i'm sure there just as anxious to get this thing out the door.
    Indeed I think Amazon are just being cautious with the date they gave us there... it could well come sooner, but they don't want to be caught out again.

It's Nokias total lack of communication that is really annoying... just tell us straight when it will be ready... tell us whats going on with it.. even if it is a good while away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Go the same mail from Amazon saying Dec 3-4th. At this stage it will be a Christmas present:(

Looking at net over the weekend and cannot find anywhere of a definative date for release. At this stage may email them myself at their head office in Finland:rolleyes:

Go the same mail from Amazon saying Dec 3-4th. At this stage it will be a Christmas present:(

Looking at net over the weekend and cannot find anywhere of a definative date for release. At this stage may email them myself at their head office in Finland:rolleyes:

People on maemo.org who ordered from Nokia UK are being told that it will be a November 9th launch from them, which probably means the week after for most other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

So, if you order from Nokia direct you may get it earlier? I didn't think it worked like that?

I haven't placed my order yet with anyone as I really don't know who to go with.

There's some activity on twitter today, people talking about Nov 9th for UK release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

any links?

Just try search.twitter.com , can't access twitter from work, search "n900 9th"

Probably a load of crap?

I think most of that twitter news is the same as what I posted above which seems to be coming from what people are saying on maemo.org

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

bala wrote: »

Every time I see a video of the N900 in action it makes me hate my N97 a little bit more.

The weave feature seems really cool.
    really gona have to have a data plan for this device :)

For anyone that's interested I'm currently working on a simple webtext application similar to cabbage for the N900. I've most of the basic UI done and am doing the backend http stuff at the moment, with plans to support all the Irish operators and the cabbage web scripts.

The plan is to have a beta for the middle of the month, so hopefully I should be able to post it a couple of days after I get my device

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

matrim wrote: »
    For anyone that's interested I'm currently working on a simple webtext application similar to cabbage for the N900. I've most of the basic UI done and am doing the backend http stuff at the moment, with plans to support all the Irish operators and the cabbage web scripts.

The plan is to have a beta for the middle of the month, so hopefully I should be able to post it a couple of days after I get my device

oh my god you are the man. was hoping for someone to make an app like this. considering the n900 lacking java support cabbage wouldnt work.

i will test the app once its up and when i finally get the damn n900(whenever it will be released).

cheers man fair play!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Are you going to port BART to N900 too ?

Are you going to port BART to N900 too ?

To answer your question with a question. What's BART?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

To answer your question with a question. What's BART?

My Mistake. I assumed you are going to port Cabbage to N900 instead of reading that you are making a App similar to Cabbage.

Now to answer your question BART (Bus and Rail times) is an app created by the creators of Cabbage .

http://www.cabbagetexter.com/bart.php

My Mistake. I assumed you are going to port Cabbage to N900 instead of reading that you are making a App similar to Cabbage.

Now to answer your question BART (Bus and Rail times) is an app created by the creators of Cabbage .

http://www.cabbagetexter.com/bart.php

It would be possible but I've no plans to do it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

If you dont mind me asking , whats the n900 like to develop on? Are you using QT, GTK+ or python ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Thor wrote: »
    considering the n900 lacking java support

Why is this? because its Linux based? does that mean that Linux doesnt support Java :confused:

Excuse the the questions just abit puzzled..

foobar wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking , whats the n900 like to develop on? Are you using QT, GTK+ or python ?

It's fairly standard to develop for although I haven't tested on a device yet, only the emulator, so it might all blow up in my face when I try on a device.

I'm using GTK+ (from C), and it seems like doing normal linux development (from the little of it I've done), although with a couple of little tweaks that you have to be aware of.

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Why is this? because its Linux based? does that mean that Linux doesnt support Java :confused:

Excuse the the questions just abit puzzled..

Linux can support Java, but Nokia haven't done a port of Java (or Java ME) to maemo yet. There seems to be some discussion on getting it done but from the glances I've taken I haven't seen any confirmation on if they will or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

strecker wrote: »
    Has this been mentioned? Pricing and release confirmed for UK: http://forums.ixplora.com/index.php?showtopic=12817&pid=36970&st=0&#entry36970

That link doesn't work for non-registered users, strecker. Can you post up some details?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That link doesn't work for non-registered users, strecker. Can you post up some details?
    The N900 isn’t far away now – it’s due on 16 November. As a result, we’re due some pricing information and, lo and behold, here it is courtesy of mobile comparison site Omio.
    It’s possible to get the handset on a 24-month contract for as little as £20 per month from Orange, though that’ll only give you 200 minutes and you’ll have to shell out £170 for the handset. A similar 24-month deal from O2 for £30 per month will net you 600 minutes, and the phone itself will only cost £10.
    If you’re determined to get the handset free, then a 24-month deal from Orange will set you back £35 per month with 900 minutes. The cheapest 18-month contact is £25 per month, again from Orange, with 600 minutes and £220 upfront phone cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

In the UK, customers will be able to buy the Nokia N900 starting November 16 and, depending on the contract and data plan they choose, they can get the smartphone even for free.

For example, you won’t have to pay anything for the N900 is you choose a 2-yr contract agreement with a £35 monthly plan from Orange (which includes 900 minutes). There are also many O2 deals – for instance, £30 per month for two years lets you have the N900 at only £10

Wonder if the 16th Nov is official release date and if so when can Amazon ship it?

Advertisement