Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Gentlemen i present you will a class 6 8Gb card for a tenner:

LIDL

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Tis only 4gb ;)

jenizzle wrote: »
    Tis only 4gb ;)

Ah dang it!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

matrim wrote: »
    I'm going to try Nitdroid and Meego soon. I went looking for a microsd today but nowhere had class 6 ones. As soon as I get one I play to give them both a go.

I tried NITDroid a while back with a cheapo class 2 card and and it was unusable. I then invested in a class 6 card to see what the fuss was about and performance was a lot better but I still didn't get much out of it and even though there a lot of apps for Android and ignoring the lack of cellular connectivity I much preferred Maemo. It's incredible what the guys have achieved but things seem to have gone incredibly quiet for the last month or so.

I've actually given up on NITDroid, I think I'd actually prefer Maemo on the N900 than Android on the HTC Desire or whatever and it's very unlikely NITDroid will ever beat high-end handsets designed for Android.

So, by all means give it a lash as it's a bit of a novelty but if you like Maemo don't expect to fall in love with NITDroid as the novelty will probably fade pretty quickly.

Meego on the other hand could be a lot more interesting, or if nothing else at least another novelty dual-boot to try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jenizzle wrote: »
    Tis only 4gb ;)
    how big are nitdroid and meego? surely you only need enough space to run the OS from. if i was going to do it i'd be tempted to go for a much faster but smaller card to improve performance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I tried NITDroid a while back with a cheapo class 2 card and and it was unusable. I then invested in a class 6 card to see what the fuss was about and performance was a lot better but I still didn't get much out of it and even though there a lot of apps for Android and ignoring the lack of cellular connectivity I much preferred Maemo. It's incredible what the guys have achieved but things seem to have gone incredibly quiet for the last month or so.

I've actually given up on NITDroid, I think I'd actually prefer Maemo on the N900 than Android on the HTC Desire or whatever and it's very unlikely NITDroid will ever beat high-end handsets designed for Android.

So, by all means give it a lash as it's a bit of a novelty but if you like Maemo don't expect to fall in love with NITDroid as the novelty will probably fade pretty quickly.

Meego on the other hand could be a lot more interesting, or if nothing else at least another novelty dual-boot to try :)

Thanks for the information. It's more curiosity that anything else that has me wanting to try it.

I like maemo and am not looking for a full change of OS but want to try out Android and Meego to see what they are like now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Where I am living, I probably wouldn't get delivery until Christmas. :D

(hint: look at the signature)

Although I was thinking of them and getting somebody back home to post it out to me.

Dublin? :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    how big are nitdroid and meego? surely you only need enough space to run the OS from. if i was going to do it i'd be tempted to go for a much faster but smaller card to improve performance?

From what i've read 4Gb should be more than enough to run either NitDroid or Meego. Most guides suggest a min of 2Gb. That's assuming that you're not planning on triple booting maemo, meego and nitdroid!

Very good guide on installing Meego on the n900 here
    http://www.maemofanatics.com/how-to-install-meego-1-1-on-your-n900/

I may give it a shot over the wkend and will report in if I do.

I'm installing it right now, directly on my N900 so it might take a while :)

Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs/meego# dd bs=4096 if=meego-handset-armv7l-n900-final-mod-1.1.0.0.20101101.3-mmcblk0p.raw of=/dev/mmcblk1

*EDIT*
    The reason I was trying the above is that I left my MicroSD adapter at work. My N900 unexpectedly rebooted on 2 attempts so I don't recommend doing this directly on the N900!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

My n900 won't charge. :(
    The usb jack has come loose. I bought it from the US so no warranty
    either. Any hard dates on when the n9 will be out yet?

• Advertisement

interesting little story about the progress of meego HERE for anyone interested in how it's progressing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

mwrf wrote: »
    My n900 won't charge. :(
    The usb jack has come loose. I bought it from the US so no warranty
    either. Any hard dates on when the n9 will be out yet?

Product announcement might be at the Meego conference. (Nov 19th?)

Doubt it will release in the month between then and Xmas.

Jan or Feb?

I'm installing it right now, directly on my N900 so it might take a while :)

Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs/meego# dd bs=4096 if=meego-handset-armv7l-n900-final-mod-1.1.0.0.20101101.3-mmcblk0p.raw of=/dev/mmcblk1

*EDIT*
    The reason I was trying the above is that I left my MicroSD adapter at work. My N900 unexpectedly rebooted on 2 attempts so I don't recommend doing this directly on the N900!

OK so copied the Meego image onto my class 6 SD card and booted into it today. It was very slow and not much fun to play with, after 10 mins I got bored and rebooted, interrupted uboot and entered "run noloboot" to boot back into Maemo.
    Strangely my clock was reset back to 2009 but other than that it doesn't seem to have caused any damage.

ooh, look at this, USB host mode running on the n900! :)

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/11/video-nokia-n900-usb-on-the-go-copying-1-46gb-avi-movie-in-3-minutesand-playback/

it's a little long and drawn out, probably cos he didn't want people to think it was fake, and it looks like he's russian or something along those lines so but here's the summary.
    2:04 N900 huge video file playback. Not a problem for the N900
    3:25 N900 Copying 1.46GB file from flash drive to N900
    7:50 N900 finishes copying – 3.25 minutes.

ooh, look at this, USB host mode running on the n900! :)

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/11/video-nokia-n900-usb-on-the-go-copying-1-46gb-avi-movie-in-3-minutesand-playback/

it's a little long and drawn out, probably cos he didn't want people to think it was fake, and it looks like he's russian or something along those lines so but here's the summary.

Meh. I'm not that pushed about USB host mode. It's not something I can see myself really needing.

I got my Class 6 card yesterday, but unfortunately there is a problem with Ubuntu 10.10 reading it, which means I've to recompile the linux kernel with a flag changed before I can progress with the install of meego

OK so copied the Meego image onto my class 6 SD card and booted into it today. It was very slow and not much fun to play with, after 10 mins I got bored and rebooted, interrupted uboot and entered "run noloboot" to boot back into Maemo.
    Strangely my clock was reset back to 2009 but other than that it doesn't seem to have caused any damage.

Similar enough experience myself (without the clock problem). It's very slow but that's to be expected. Overall it looks decent but isn't usable in the current state.

I tried the official 1.1 drop but will give it another while and try one of the weekly builds.

I'll also give NITdroid a go soon and see what that's like.

matrim wrote: »
    Meh. I'm not that pushed about USB host mode. It's not something I can see myself really needing.
    i wonder if it kicks out enough juice to run one of those 2.5" laptop HDD's? :)

anyone fancy 1tb of storage for their n900? :D

you never know, it might be enough to run an SSD, so that could be a decent amount of storage. might eat into the battery life a bit tho and with the usb being the charging port as well its not like you can charge it and USB host at the same time.

just thinking it would have made a great high capacity media player for taking on your holiers.

maybe it would still work with a usb hub? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

maybe it would still work with a usb hub? :cool:

Yep, seems to be the way to go if the device needs more juice.
    -Coley.

Alright lads, i've a quick question.

Recently i've been usng my nokia 5800 as an external charger for my N900, so there's always one battery charging while the other is in use. So i just pop the fully charged batt into the n900 when it dies. Could this be damaging my N900 in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Alright lads, i've a quick question.

Recently i've been usng my nokia 5800 as an external charger for my N900, so there's always one battery charging while the other is in use. So i just pop the fully charged batt into the n900 when it dies. Could this be damaging my N900 in any way?

No, I cant see how it would because they are the same battery, same voltage, and same current output.

• Advertisement

did anyone else know that the meego conference is on at the Aviva stadium from Monday 15th (i.e. today, just about) till the 17th?

http://www.allaboutmeego.com/news/item/12284_MeeGo_Conference_Day_1_Live.php

fancy finding out on some random blog that it's here! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

did anyone else know that the meego conference is on at the Aviva stadium from Monday 15th (i.e. today, just about) till the 17th?

Actually i posted it here in April.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055899251

Back then the dates were 9th to 11th.

I was tempted to head in for a day but don't have enough holidays left

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

navi-button-sygic-upi.jpg
    For anyone using the Sygic Mobile Maps 10 Navigation here is the UPI file updated with the Safety Cameras.
    1. Put it in Maps/Irl/
    2. Now all POI data will be loaded together with the icon already assigned during next run of the navigation software.
    3. You can show POI category, called 'Speed Cameras', from the list within navigation Main Menu > Manage POIs > Show/Hide POIs button.

On the off chance it happened, and nobody mentioned it..... Any product announcements?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

wernstrom! wrote: »
    On the off chance it happened, and nobody mentioned it..... Any product announcements?
    Nope - and seemingly won't be 'till Meego 1.2 release in April.
    can't find the link on this - but remember reading it in last day or two.

-Coley.

coley wrote: »
    Nope - and seemingly won't be 'till Meego 1.2 release in April.
    can't find the link on this - but remember reading it in last day or two.

-Coley.

Disappointing in some ways but at the same time having tried Meego 1.1 it is clearly nowhere near ready for prime time - so an N9 by April sounds more realistic. The last thing Nokia needs is to release a piece of £"$# and have everyone bitching about them again. Much better to wait until it is ready. This might be why they went to the bother of releasing PR 1.3 to keep us relatively happy for the moment.

starting to think maybe i should have gone to the meego thing after all! :(

http://revdkathy.livejournal.com/62299.html

starting to think maybe i should have gone to the meego thing after all! :(

http://revdkathy.livejournal.com/62299.html

ffs:(

• Advertisement

ffs:(

Pretty much what i thought about lack of product announcements.

Advertisement