Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Just wondering what people are using to synch their calendar, notes, contacts etc to their PC and vice versa. Used to use Nokia PC Suite until it stopped working as it would not recognise the USB port. Then I started using OVI on the same PC am able to synch BUT it duplicates my contacts. FFS how can it be so difficult to do something which should be so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

manster wrote: »
    Just wondering what people are using to synch their calendar, notes, contacts etc to their PC and vice versa. Used to use Nokia PC Suite until it stopped working as it would not recognise the USB port. Then I started using OVI on the same PC am able to synch BUT it duplicates my contacts. FFS how can it be so difficult to do something which should be so simple.
    i forget the name of it, but there's a de-duper/multi-merge app for the n900 in one of the repo's. i think it's extras-testing but i can't say for sure.

my (550 total, without dupes) contacts used to be all over the place, but it sorted about 95% of them out automatically and made sorting out the remaining few a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

vibe666 wrote: »
    i forget the name of it, but there's a de-duper/multi-merge app for the n900 in one of the repo's. i think it's extras-testing but i can't say for sure.

my (550 total, without dupes) contacts used to be all over the place, but it sorted about 95% of them out automatically and made sorting out the remaining few a breeze.

Is it possibly to sync contacts with google? With exchange or something? Using google contacts is how I sorted out my contacts. My handy when I go to a new phone, as nearly all them support exchange or google sync.

looks like a beta of the OVI suite v3 is out and it supports the n900.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-ovi-suite-3-0/download_and_installation

just downloading it now, but i'm off to bed so no time to test till tomorrow.

you need to log into ovi for the download to appear.
    A new, Home view
    Quick access to my content and sync
    Recommended apps, games from Ovi Store
    Recommended music from Ovi Music *
    Notifications to update your phone software and to take a backup from your phone
    Smart way to connect to the Internet when you’re without fixed connection or WLAN

Introducing Ovi Music
    Full playback controls
    Discover and download your favourites from the millions of tracks available on Ovi*
    Drag and drop music to and from your phone
    Ovi Music Unlimited support *
    No need for a separate player

Other improvements
    Faster and simpler installation
    Maps view improvements: Single item delete for maps in phone, performance improvements for maps downloading.
    Stability and sync: We have focused on improvements for sync and stability

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Flip it anyway...

I've bricked my phone :( I was faffing about this morning trying to get the camera to work, and now it won't boot past the Nokia splash screen.

Any helpful hints appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

jenizzle wrote: »
    Flip it anyway...

I've bricked my phone :( I was faffing about this morning trying to get the camera to work, and now it won't boot past the Nokia splash screen.

Any helpful hints appreciated!

You should be able to reflash it.

It actually seems ridiculously hard to fully brick this phone

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

matrim wrote: »
    You should be able to reflash it.

It actually seems ridiculously hard to fully brick this phone

Yes reflashing should work. However there is one easy way to brick the phone - just forget your lock code and accidentally 'secure' the device. So if anyone out there doesn't know the lock code it is worth making the effort to decode it before you accidentally hit the 'secure device' button blocking you out! Almost happened to me once but after about 200 guesses I finally stumbled upon my lock code and got back in. I searched the net at the time for a way to bypass the lock code and didn't like what I saw.... BEWARNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi all, cheeky question but is any one looking to swap their n900 for a HTC HD2?
    if so drop me a pm...

cheers
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi all, cheeky question but is any one looking to swap their n900 for a HTC HD2?
    if so drop me a pm...

cheers
    D

• Advertisement

I've reflashed and all is working ok but now another problem has cropped up.

The battery is now fecked. It was fully charged this morning, and now it's flat as a pancake. All I've done is listen to about 5 songs on the way into work this morning. What have I broken? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've reflashed and all is working ok but now another problem has cropped up.

The battery is now fecked. It was fully charged this morning, and now it's flat as a pancake. All I've done is listen to about 5 songs on the way into work this morning. What have I broken? :(

Sometimes that happens if i run some relatively intensive application that doesn't close properly, and just runs down the battery. I would doubt that your battery is messed up tbh. Reboot and try again. Download an app balled "battery-eye" to see what the consumption is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Trying to figure this out of the N900. Have it set to lock every few minutes when not in use. Sometimes when I take it out of my pocket it has do you want to switch off. How can I prevent this as its happening regularly ?

Also is there any facebook app. Have facebrick and its ok. Also have petrovich bluetooth app but I cannot upload pics to facebook is there any other app

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Trying to figure this out of the N900. Have it set to lock every few minutes when not in use. Sometimes when I take it out of my pocket it has do you want to switch off.

Cheers

Change the power button behaviour?

I think it was Tweakr, but i've not owned an N900 for a couple of months now, so can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So I've gone to the Dark Side. :o

My N900 has sadly been relegated to the role of a media player.

Sometimes that happens if i run some relatively intensive application that doesn't close properly, and just runs down the battery. I would doubt that your battery is messed up tbh. Reboot and try again. Download an app balled "battery-eye" to see what the consumption is like.

Cheers! It seems to be ok this morning, in that it didn't die overnight. Sometimes this phone has a mind of its own :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Change the power button behaviour?

I think it was Tweakr, but i've not owned an N900 for a couple of months now, so can't be sure.

Thanks

Ok tried it based on http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/01/09/tweakr-helps-you-add-custom-profiles-to-your-n900/

When I plug in via usb I cannot see My docs section of n900 and cannot install the files here. Is there something I am missing?

I've just noticed that with the upgrade to PR1.3 I've lost my Angry Birds high scores.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get them back?

I've just noticed that with the upgrade to PR1.3 I've lost my Angry Birds high scores.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get them back?
    i just used it as an excuse to re-play it all the way thru. of course it was only the free 1st part, so it didn't take too long to do. :)

i just used it as an excuse to re-play it all the way thru. of course it was only the free 1st part, so it didn't take too long to do. :)

I could do that :). It's just annoying as I had them all at 3 stars on the first level and about half of them on the second level

• Advertisement

I could do that :). It's just annoying as I had them all at 3 stars on the first level and about half of them on the second level
    well, i finished the free bit with all the stars and i've since bought part 1 and finished that and am working my way through getting all the stars (prolly about 50-60% done), so assuming thats about where you are, i could copy my saves off the n900 and email them to you to stick on your phone if that would work?

won't be exactly the same as yours, but it'll save you a bit of messing?

well, i finished the free bit with all the stars and i've since bought part 1 and finished that and am working my way through getting all the stars (prolly about 50-60% done), so assuming thats about where you are, i could copy my saves off the n900 and email them to you to stick on your phone if that would work?

won't be exactly the same as yours, but it'll save you a bit of messing?

No, It's fine. I'd rather be able to say they are all my stars :) Even if the only one listening is myself

No, It's fine. I'd rather be able to say they are all my stars :) Even if the only one listening is myself
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Folks, anyone having problems with this. It is only picking up one of my albums. Are there some formats it does not support?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Running Android on the Nokia N900 has been an ongoing theme for the better part of the past year -- and with hardware designed from the ground up to be both hackable and high-end, we'd expect no less. Indeed, Android 2.3 is the latest victim of an N900 sneak attack, and impressively, core components like messaging already seem to be working -- likely thanks to the fact that hackers had already gotten pre-2.3 builds rock solid. What's even more impressive, though, is how smooth and generally non-janky everything seems to be -- smooth enough so that you might be able to do this as your daily driver if Maemo 5 is starting to wear thin for you. Nokia might not approve, but then again, we don't approve of the N9 still not being announced... so yeah, tit for tat, as it were.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/26/nokia-n900-mixed-with-gingerbread-baked-at-425-degrees-for-16-1/

Feckin paint is coming off of the keyboard! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

manster wrote: »
    Running Android on the Nokia N900 has been an ongoing theme for the better part of the past year -- and with hardware designed from the ground up to be both hackable and high-end, we'd expect no less. Indeed, Android 2.3 is the latest victim of an N900 sneak attack, and impressively, core components like messaging already seem to be working -- likely thanks to the fact that hackers had already gotten pre-2.3 builds rock solid. What's even more impressive, though, is how smooth and generally non-janky everything seems to be -- smooth enough so that you might be able to do this as your daily driver if Maemo 5 is starting to wear thin for you. Nokia might not approve, but then again, we don't approve of the N9 still not being announced... so yeah, tit for tat, as it were.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/26/nokia-n900-mixed-with-gingerbread-baked-at-425-degrees-for-16-1/

I'm just waiting for the day that this becomes usable as an everyday OS. At the minute, there's no GPS, no camera, no Phone calls!, and power issues. So it's nothing more than a gimmick imo. Even if it had phone calls working i'd be tempted. As Maemo is starting to piss me off.

My hildon home process seems to enjoy killing itself every so often, which results in the phone not doing anything if i receive a call, or text. It'll just sit there and not make a noise until i finally notice the hildon home process is dead.

Feckin paint is coming off of the keyboard! :mad:
    i know a guy who wore off some of the buttons playing donkey kong (afaik via mame or something like that). they're not 100% permanent, but mine are all fine at the moment with regular use. i'm sure you can get replacements off ebay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

i know a guy who wore off some of the buttons playing donkey kong (afaik via mame or something like that). they're not 100% permanent, but mine are all fine at the moment with regular use. i'm sure you can get replacements off ebay etc.

Paint started to wear on the full stop key of mine after about 3 months of moderate usage.

The one thing i DO miss about my N900 is that i didn't get redirected to the 'mobile' version of every site.... the mobile version of eBay is essentially unusable.

/rant.

• Advertisement

I think it's my nails. The paint is wearing on the 't', 'h' and 'n' keys, and they'd be the ones I'd hit with my thumb nail instead of my finger. I can get a replacement on ebay for a few quid but it still shouldn't happen though.

Advertisement