Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

^ My finger/thumb nails are all short. Paint still wore off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hey everyone, Selling my beloved n900 on adverts, If anyone is interested then please leave a comment on adverts. Taught it best i mention it in the n900 thread.

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nokia-n900/385670

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thor wrote: »
    Hey everyone, Selling my beloved n900 on adverts, If anyone is interested then please leave a comment on adverts. Taught it best i mention it in the n900 thread.

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nokia-n900/385670
    glad you got it sold Thor, just wondering what phone you've moved to?

i'm thinking of moving from o2 to vodafone and getting the Galaxy S for me and the mrs, but can't settle on it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Moved from N900 to Samsung Galaxy S. Went back to N900 after a while as I missed skype integration, ability to connect to my work webmail (needed java), ability to stream from my pc. Moved back to Galaxy S full time now. Really like managing all calendars via google calendar, the Market is class. Swype is class also.

I dont think anything will ever beat the N900 hardware but am happy with the software upgrades get with Samsung and that makes a big difference. All i use it now for is for the PS3 homebrew :’(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

manster wrote: »
    All i use it now for is for the PS3 homebrew :’(

Ya won't need it for that anymore with the new custom PS3 firmware out now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

A handy utility to scan for the empty FM frequency before enabling your FM transmitter...

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/01/14/n900-find-empty-frequencies-fm-transmitter/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

What's the going rate for a N900, in good condition, no box but with charger, USB cable and television connector?
    I think I will sell mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

What's the going rate for a N900, in good condition, no box but with charger, USB cable and television connector?
    there's been a few on adverts.ie so have a check there and you'll get a good idea.

I think we need either a new N900 defectors thread or an N900 Still Happy To Use thread ;-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

One of the lads on here was selling his for €270 on adverts.

Regarding the defectors, I can't see any phone that meets the standards of the N900 on the market atm. I LOVE MY PHOOOONE..... and jameson breakfasts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dregin wrote: »
    One of the lads on here was selling his for €270 on adverts.

Regarding the defectors, I can't see any phone that meets the standards of the N900 on the market atm. I LOVE MY PHOOOONE..... and jameson breakfasts :D

That's my thoughts exactly. I'll wait until the next big android phone comes around. My n900 still does everything i want it to do. It's my pocket pc, mostly used for web browsing with all my music and a good camera to boot.

I just reflashed my n900 as it was acting up; hopefully the reflash has sorted the problem.

That's my thoughts exactly. I'll wait until the next big android phone comes around. My n900 still does everything i want it to do. It's my pocket pc, mostly used for web browsing with all my music and a good camera to boot.

I just reflashed my n900 as it was acting up; hopefully the reflash has sorted the problem.

Same here, let's try to keep this thread about using the N900, not selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Standards isn't not a word i'd associate with the N900, mine is currently switched off because the battery is near drained. Fully charged at 7 am, a smalll number of call's and txts due to an emergency in work and the battery is was at less than 50% by 10:30 am. I've only noticed today that the n900 only displays a record for the last call from a number :confused:

Video recording is also pants IME due to lag :(

Great browser, solid hardware build and that's about it IMO

Bambi wrote: »
    Standards isn't not a word i'd associate with the N900, mine is currently switched off because the battery is near drained. Fully charged at 7 am, a smalll number of call's and txts due to an emergency in work and the battery is was at less than 50% by 10:30 am. I've only noticed today that the n900 only displays a record for the last call from a number :confused:

I know what you mean. The reason i had to reflash was because one of the processes would just stop...the only thing was is that the process was the one that controlled everything important! So phonecalls, texts would go unnoticed and the only time i would notice is when i'd try to click an icon on my desktop...which wouldn't work!

I'm hoping that's sorted now. As it would happen at completely random times, sometimes the phone would be on for days without issue, others, it would fail after an hour.

Are you using power-kernel? I'm using the 'ideal' config (850/500) and battery lasts all day with no lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

what's the power kernal, and how do I get it? Difficult to install?

podge018 wrote: »

It's easily installed, it's a kernel that allows you to overclock the phone.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Are you using power-kernel? I'm using the 'ideal' config (850/500) and battery lasts all day with no lag.

Nope, never reinstalled any of that stuff after I had after the last update. It was phone calls and texting that killed the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've only noticed today that the n900 only displays a record for the last call from a number :confused:

Extended Call Log

matrim wrote: »

I'm aware of the utility alright, but its pants when you realise that noika didnt get the basics right even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm aware of the utility alright, but its pants when you realise that noika didnt get the basics right even

I'm happy enough that the main phone application only shows the limited number of calls (as it allows for quick dialling recent contacts) but I do agree that they should have provided the separate call log application themselves.

They actually had alot of the coding done for it as the api provides the way to get the list of calls from the database and display them. The main thing I had to do for extended call log was put it all together in a window and add filter options etc

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Standards isn't not a word i'd associate with the N900, mine is currently switched off because the battery is near drained. Fully charged at 7 am, a smalll number of call's and txts due to an emergency in work and the battery is was at less than 50% by 10:30 am.

RE: battery issues - I had this problem when I reflashed after pressing too many buttons. Found that I had to clear the browser cache to sort the problem out. Don't know how that makes sense but now the battery lasts about 2 days with a few calls/texts and about an hour of browsing and music-listening per day. If the battery starts draining more than usual, then a cache-clearance sorts the problem out, but it hasn't happened in a few weeks now.

jenizzle wrote: »
    RE: battery issues - I had this problem when I reflashed after pressing too many buttons. Found that I had to clear the browser cache to sort the problem out. Don't know how that makes sense but now the battery lasts about 2 days with a few calls/texts and about an hour of browsing and music-listening per day. If the battery starts draining more than usual, then a cache-clearance sorts the problem out, but it hasn't happened in a few weeks now.

That's interesting alright! I've just reflashed, and the whole phone is so much smoother and the battery life is better.

podge018 wrote: »

The power-kernel is very easy to install, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power

Once installed for the 'ideal' settings this from the command prompt as root (xterm):
    # kernel-config load ideal
    To store these settings permanently:
    # kernel-config default ideal

These settings improve performance by setting the minimum CPU to 500Mhz so you get snappy performance without waiting for ramp-up, and it increases the max from 600Mhz to 850Mhz. The performance improvement is VERY significant and replaces laggy responses with snappy instant responses.

It will also improve battery life as it under-volts the CPU therefore using less power.

At this stage these settings are considered to be very safe and are widely used across the N900 community. Early on there was talk of it voiding warranty and frying your CPU but it's been actively in use by so many people now that I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

So my usb stopped working yesterday, and through my awesome display of strength I totally ****ed it up.

what did nokia do about usb issues originally, mine lated 11 months so hope I'm still covered.

So my usb stopped working yesterday, and through my awesome display of strength I totally ****ed it up.

what did nokia do about usb issues originally, mine lated 11 months so hope I'm still covered.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. As I understand it the official Nokia policy is that they will repair it so I suggest taking it to a Nokia approved repair centre and see what they say, if they refuse to fix it then check out the link below for more details as some people are having difficulty getting their retailer to accept responsibility.

Nokia statement: "We are aware of reports that under certain conditions, the micro-USB port of a very limited amount of Nokia N900 devices can be detached. Product quality is of utmost importance to Nokia and we are investigating this issue further. Consumers who experience this issue should contact their local Nokia customer care. The same warranty applies to the Nokia N900 as with any other Nokia device. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Maemo-Devices/Nokia-responds-to-reports-about-the-N900-micro-usb-port-getting/td-p/629019

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Grand, to the local nokia centre in town when I'm home on friday. hope I get it back soon. I feel naked without it. Not good naked like with a lady, bad naked like with a priest.

Grand, to the local nokia centre in town when I'm home on friday. hope I get it back soon. I feel naked without it. Not good naked like with a lady, bad naked like with a priest.

Hahahaha

My N900 had a random reboot today...it's not the first...i'm not impressed, i intend on keeping this baby for another year at least! Unless i win the lotto of course.

Mine's been rock solid not sure if it has ever rebooted. Hopefully it's just a software glitch!

• Advertisement

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Mine's been rock solid not sure if it has ever rebooted. Hopefully it's just a software glitch!

Yeah i was in the middle of using a new piece of software. It's one i got from OVI, nokia panorama, it was processing an image and bam it just turned off. It was really strange.

Advertisement