Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

I think it was good nokia joined with another company since tbh they have been blown out of the water the last 3 years by apple's iphone and android.

Using nokias approach at touch screen phones was painful experience, constant crashes , slow response wish. They made good hardware but software was never their strongpoint, if they had gone with android they'd have less control than they will have with MS. altough ...i dont think MS phones will catch on as much as MS and nokia hope.

Im an iphone user, it'd have to be something special to convert me, android has failed so far and I dont expect MS to get it right for some time..if at all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Skalragg wrote: »
    I think it was good nokia joined with another company since tbh they have been blown out of the water the last 3 years by apple's iphone and android.

Using nokias approach at touch screen phones was painful experience, constant crashes , slow response wish. They made good hardware but software was never their strongpoint, if they had gone with android they'd have less control than they will have with MS. altough ...i dont think MS phones will catch on as much as MS and nokia hope.

Im an iphone user, it'd have to be something special to convert me, android has failed so far and I dont expect MS to get it right for some time..if at all

In fairness to nokia, they done a lot right with maemo on the n900 (hence everyone on this thread going bat shít crazy about it). As for android it does some things very well and I much prefer it to iOS. If android brought in some features from maemo/meego it would be a fantastic OS. I played with WP7 the other day and it's very nice. It's not quite there for me just yet but with microsoft putting their weight behind it, it would be foolish to underestimate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Android is definitely looming large for me now but I think it will be on another device - Galaxy S - slurp!

On the day of the MS announcement I took a look at reviews of all latest Android devices and even placed a few eBay bids. I'm beginning to think about keeping my N900 for another while though as I think the other devices out there don't really add much to the N900 other than apps. On the apps front it will be interesting to see what happens with Alien Dalvik.

I've been keeping up to date with the Community SSU project and I'm currently on the latest Maemo SSU 12.1 - see change log http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Changelog

There are a lot of little tweaks and improvements, e.g. ability for up to 9 desktops for those who think 4 isn't enough! Lots of email (modest) changes and so on. I think there will be a lot of talented hackers out there churning out tweaks for a long time to come so if we can combine this with Android apps via Alien Dalvik I could see myself keeping my N900 into 2012!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The email app is a LOT nippier since I started ussing the SSU firmware. Saying that, I've had to remove the batter twice in the last day when my screen just went completely blank. I know it was still working since I was still getting audible email notifications. I've done nothing other than install the latest SSU update.

Thinking of formatting the phone soon anyway. The amount of dev crap I installed when I first bought the phone is no doubt clogging it's pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Folks, wondering if you can help me on this.
    I am on the latest Community SSU release and am loving all the tweaking options (blurless etc).
    However, I have run into a problem. My e-mail widget is gone. Not sure what happened or in which update it happened but it is not on any of my views nor is it available when I try and add it through the Desktop Menu/Add Widget command. Any ideas? Was thinking of formatting the phone using my PC but am worried about losing stiff.
    Also, how do you get notifications of new e-mails. When i run my mail synchronization it picks up my new mails but I get no 'beep' or pop up. Does this only happen if I have it set to synchronise continually?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Just noticed my FM fuctions don't work since I got my phone back.....

They haven't given me a circuit board without them have they?

Just noticed my FM fuctions don't work since I got my phone back.....

They haven't given me a circuit board without them have they?

Is bluetooth working? Think it uses the same component.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Folks, wondering if you can help me on this.
    I am on the latest Community SSU release and am loving all the tweaking options (blurless etc).
    However, I have run into a problem. My e-mail widget is gone. Not sure what happened or in which update it happened but it is not on any of my views nor is it available when I try and add it through the Desktop Menu/Add Widget command. Any ideas? Was thinking of formatting the phone using my PC but am worried about losing stiff.
    Also, how do you get notifications of new e-mails. When i run my mail synchronization it picks up my new mails but I get no 'beep' or pop up. Does this only happen if I have it set to synchronise continually?
    Thanks in advance.

I'm on the latest Community SSU but I haven't enabled transitions yet, i'll try it and let you know if it breaks anything.

*EDIT* Just enabled them, email is still there. Presume you've tried rebooting?

Regarding email I get beeps/pop when an email arrives, I just have the Modest email client configured to periodically poll but I am using a direct IMAP connection. Are you using MS exchange, GMail or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Is bluetooth working? Think it uses the same component.

Yeah. I can't find any options re: fm transmitter on the phone in either settings of media player.

Using the widget I get "Failed to change fmtx state"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Nokia's MeeGo device will be called N950, will be out this year!!

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokias_meego_device_will_be_called_n950_will_be_out_this_year-news-2372.php

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link, what would it take for you to buy it?

How about the following?

Capacitive touch screen.
    Increased screen size (i.e. less unused border space than N900).
    Even faster (or dual core) CPU and even more RAM than N900.
    Slimmer and lighter device, not a total brick like the N900
    Larger keyboard that when pulled out is flush with the screen, like Desire Z only more solidly constructed.
    Larger capacity battery - maybe 1600mah
    Last and by no means least ship with Alien Davik's Android emulation engine to finally give us the best of both worlds.

At the moment I really want something to upgrade to but I can't justify spending the kind of money the latest Android handsets are going for when I'm not convinced they are actually much of an upgrade from the N900. If I could get most of the above and could run Android apps I'd be very tempted..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm not looking to upgrade but on your points.
    Capacitive touch screen.
    I like the resistive touch screen on the N900 and the precision you can get from the stylus when need, although a "hard" screen would put my mind at ease a bit.
    Increased screen size (i.e. less unused border space than N900).
    Would be nice but I don't want the device to get much bigger. Better resolution would be a nice
    Even faster (or dual core) CPU and even more RAM than N900.
    Prefer dual core but definitely needs a top notch processor and extra ram
    Slimmer and lighter device, not a total brick like the N900
    I don't mind the N900 size too much but a bit thinner and lighter would be nice
    Larger keyboard that when pulled out is flush with the screen, like Desire Z only more solidly constructed.
    Not too sure on the Desire Z as I haven't used it but there are better keyboards out there. But it's a must for me that it has a physical keyboard.
    Larger capacity battery - maybe 1600mah
    Yes please, although may go against the slimmer device that you wanted above.
    Last and by no means least ship with Alien Davik's Android emulation engine to finally give us the best of both worlds.
    I don't know if it will be officially supported but can see it being put out fairly quickly by the community

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not looking to upgrade either. But i probably would go with an N950 tbh. I mean, most apps are just a gimmick anyway. I want a fast responsive phone, that works as a phone (calls sms). And it must have a browsing experience that's as close to a desktop as possible as far as speed and content are concerned.

I'm still blown away by the default browser on the N900.
    Mine currently has 40GB of storage.
    It has a great camera.
    And a physical keyboard.

Tbh, that's all i ever wanted or needed.

Agreed the N900 is the best techies phone ever made but looking forward to see how they're making it better :)

On the capacitive vs resistive argument. Do you guys use your stylus much? I find the smallest thing I need to aim at is the task manager app close and I usually manage to hit it. I just think that a capacitive screen giving multi-touch would allow for more efficient gestures commands.

Most apps are indeed a gimmick but some "real" apps would be really handy such as Slingbox Player. If I could just find a way to get Sopcast or similar P2P working for footie on the go that would be sweet, don't think it's been done though even on Easy Debian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

On the capacitive vs resistive argument. Do you guys use your stylus much? I find the smallest thing I need to aim at is the task manager app close and I usually manage to hit it. I just think that a capacitive screen giving multi-touch would allow for more efficient gestures commands.

I only use the stylus at most once a week but when I need it it's great to have.
    I haven't use multi-touch gestures much but when I have I've found them finicky and annoying for the most part, although in saying that if I had an extended run at them I'd probably get used to them very quickly
    Most apps are indeed a gimmick but some "real" apps would be really handy such as Slingbox Player. If I could just find a way to get Sopcast or similar P2P working for footie on the go that would be sweet, don't think it's been done though even on Easy Debian.

There are a few apps that would be great but I don't miss too much. With overclocking I was able to get a decent video from a flash stream but it killed the battery and made the device run hot.

Sopcast is a closed source prebuild binary and isn't built for arm so we won't get it on any device unless the developers change that or someone reverse engineers the protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Hi Guys
    I have both joikuspot & mobile hotspot installed
    i can get a pc to connect with no problems to mobile hotspot
    but can't get an ipad to connect. Any special settings that need to be enabled ( proxy setting etc??) to get this to work?
    Anybody have an ipad tethered if so what settings did you use?
    Thanks
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Is anyone having a problem lately getting certain sites to open using Opera 10.1? Things like facebook will only load half-way before stalling there, cant figure it out. Using the stock browser it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

my n900 is now dead... sniff sniff not sure if ive any options left to get it sorted. well apart from paying to get it fixed.

I was connecting to to charge at night and thought that the USB didnt quick click in as it should.. was tired so didnt do anything with it until morning, had a look in the morning and tried to gently prise the cable out but the internal usb port on the phone came straight out with it.

I had heard that nokia were fixing the issue in some cases even if out of warranty but i bought my phone from ebay from a hongkong seller when they came out first. sent it to nokia repair anyway but was shipped back saying no warranty as came from USA.

replaced it with a HTC desire Z, which im happy with but battery life as fecking awful.

I could probably ship it to a relation in the states and see if they could send it to nokia on my behalf.

Any other options out there? considering the USB port is known to be dodgy i would have hoped thay they might fix irrespective of where it was bought.

I just downloaded the sleep analyzer app (Discussion here), and i have to say, it's the most interesting and impressive app i've tried in ages! And i woke up refreshed this morning! Woo

I just downloaded the sleep analyzer app (Discussion here), and i have to say, it's the most interesting and impressive app i've tried in ages! And i woke up refreshed this morning! Woo

I had it installed for months but I tried it last night and yeah it's pretty cool. Apparently I had only 3 hours of deep sleep last night :eek: I'll try it a couple more nights before trying the alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

SoundWave wrote: »
    my n900 is now dead... sniff sniff not sure if ive any options left to get it sorted. well apart from paying to get it fixed.

I was connecting to to charge at night and thought that the USB didnt quick click in as it should.. was tired so didnt do anything with it until morning, had a look in the morning and tried to gently prise the cable out but the internal usb port on the phone came straight out with it.

I had heard that nokia were fixing the issue in some cases even if out of warranty but i bought my phone from ebay from a hongkong seller when they came out first. sent it to nokia repair anyway but was shipped back saying no warranty as came from USA.

replaced it with a HTC desire Z, which im happy with but battery life as fecking awful.

I could probably ship it to a relation in the states and see if they could send it to nokia on my behalf.

Any other options out there? considering the USB port is known to be dodgy i would have hoped thay they might fix irrespective of where it was bought.

I got a separate battery chrger for the n900 on ebay for only a few euro. (Type you put your battery into)
    That way one battery is always ready to go for a quick change over...
    having said that its now 3rd in line after the dell streak and sgs are picked up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Where can I get a webtext application for the N900 which works with Three? I had one for o2 but when I moved over the application disappeared from my desktop. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

/sigh

Has anyone else had their alarms stop making noise? The phone vibrates allright when the alarm goes off, but it makes no noise as if it was on silent mode. Very annoying, it's mucked up two mornings for me now...

podge018 wrote: »
    Where can I get a webtext application for the N900 which works with Three? I had one for o2 but when I moved over the application disappeared from my desktop. Cheers.

http://maemo.org/packages/view/webtexter/

Sparks wrote: »
    /sigh

Has anyone else had their alarms stop making noise? The phone vibrates allright when the alarm goes off, but it makes no noise as if it was on silent mode. Very annoying, it's mucked up two mornings for me now...

Never happened to me, have you tried changing your alarm "tone" to see if reconfiguring it somehow fixes it?

/sigh

Being honest, having gone through something similar with ring tones not going off when i received texts and calls, the easiest solution is to just flash the OS again. It's not as bad as it sounds, once you backup all your apps and reinstall the ones you trust when you flash it's grand.

It's quirks like the above which really make me consider changing phone. All the amazing things this device can do is really great, but if it starts to lose the basics, it's worthless imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Being honest, having gone through something similar with ring tones not going off when i received texts and calls, the easiest solution is to just flash the OS again. It's not as bad as it sounds, once you backup all your apps and reinstall the ones you trust when you flash it's grand.
    Actually, changing the alarm tone seems to have fixed it completely. Corrupted file perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Might be a silly question but is there a way/app to seperate the system volume from the phone volume?

Actually, changing the alarm tone seems to have fixed it completely. Corrupted file perhaps?

Sweet! I spent ages trying to figure mine out and never got it. After a while living with it i just reflashed. It just wasn't worth the hassle faffing around with the terminal and settings to get it back working again.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but is there a way/app to seperate the system volume from the phone volume?

Can you give a little more information on what you are trying to do? How do you define "system" and "phone" in this context?

Advertisement