Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks

Its always the easiest things seem to be the hardest think that solved it

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Hi Irish Gunner,
    the screen you captured looks like the Device Lock screen. it seems that your Settings / Device Lock is configured to autolock after 5 mins. When this screen is displayed if you tap an area in the background you are prompted to switch off. If you set autolock to disable would this solve your problem? Note that auto lock is a security measure rather than a screen lock. I have mine disabled and manually lock the screen using the slider before putting in my pocket.

Cheers,
    OWB.

I actually ended up removing that "switch off" button completely from the menu, by editing the system.mui ( think that's what the file was called!!!) Mine would just turn off in my pocket too. This obviously solved the problem.

Tbh, i'm getting fairly annoyed with this phone recently, it's mostly down to instability issues and system slowness. I'm currently running my overclock a bit differently, im running the xlv profile. And i have it set to stick to 1Ghz no matter what. So the min value is 1Ghz, and so is the max. The battery life seems to be suffering slightly, not by much. But things seem smoother.

Anyway, i think i'll be jumping ship to a Galaxy S2, or an LG Optimus 2X soon enough. The LG is pretty cheap at 380 from play, so i'm tempted. And there seems to be a good bit of modding potential there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Finally lost my stylus. Anybody know where I'd pick one up?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Mine is still running fine but I'm getting bored by the lack of new apps and games and the likes. It'd be nice to have something different to use on it.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Mine is still running fine but I'm getting bored by the lack of new apps and games and the likes. It'd be nice to have something different to use on it.

Totally. I suppose every phone will only entertain you for so long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I ordered an LG optimus from this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

time will tell if I go with the optimus but the battery life alone has worn me down with the n900, its just not really an enjoyable phone to use

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Hey guys, I completely understand wanting something new, Ive narrowly lost out on a few eBay auctions over the past 4 months but I'm glad I did miss out. The new phones are a lot of money and in most cases it is trading like for like in terms of proccessing power. When I do trade up I want to be sure it really is a signficant upgrade rather being in the same situation in 6 months time. I've set my mind on the Galaxy SII but I can probably wait 6 months for the price to drop. Theres only a few apps that I want really bad and the N900 can do pretty much everything else I want from a phone, my battery lasts 24 hours on 3g all day which is in the same league as all but the most recent few android handsets that have shipped with high capacity batteries.

In case anyone isnt using Power Kernel do yourself a favour and install it, it speeds up the n900 no end and also lowers power consumption e.g. using the 'ideal' profile.

Hey guys, I completely understand wanting something new, Ive narrowly lost out on a few eBay auctions over the past 4 months but I'm glad I did miss out. The new phones are a lot of money and in most cases it is trading like for like in terms of proccessing power. When I do trade up I want to be sure it really is a signficant upgrade rather being in the same situation in 6 months time. I've set my mind on the Galaxy SII but I can probably wait 6 months for the price to drop. Theres only a few apps that I want really bad and the N900 can do pretty much everything else I want from a phone, my battery lasts 24 hours on 3g all day which is in the same league as all but the most recent few android handsets that have shipped with high capacity batteries.

In case anyone isnt using Power Kernel do yourself a favour and install it, it speeds up the n900 no end and also lowers power consumption e.g. using the 'ideal' profile.

I'll probably do the same. When I bought the N900 it was the best of the best, the Galaxy S2 seems like my next move too. But tbh, at the minute my N900 has 40GB of storage, and it handles most things okay. I'm just at the stage where I want a change, for no real reason except wanting to use android and being a bit bored.

The only thing that annoys me is the occasional instability issues it has. Granted the last few weeks have been grand. Actually I was expecting mine to crash seeing that I have it running at 1Ghz all the time now. But it hasn't. I think i'll wait another while. Especially seeing how much I paid for the N900!

And seeing that there might be an N9 on the way, that could interest me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I keep looking around from time to time, but to be honest, the only thing that even looked like a contender as a replacement was the N9. And with Nokia dropping MeeGo, that's kindof shot in the head now. Hopefully LG will come out with something to rival it now that they've taken on MeeGo - switching to iOS/Android's walled gardens doesn't appeal, and don't even mention winphone or whatever it's called this week...

anybody know a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin selling a stylus for the N900?

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »
    anybody know a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin selling a stylus for the N900?

I don't know of any shops. But there's plenty of sellers on ebay? It'll take a few days to arrive. But still.

Well lads, i just took the plunge on a lg optimus 7. Possibly the weirdest choice of OS considering i've been a maemo user for a year and a half almost!

It was a complete impulse buy, if I don't like it i'll sell it on.

I'll still use my N900!

I'll still use my N900!

Yeah right, "I'll keep in touch, we can still be friends" :P

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah right, "I'll keep in touch, we can still be friends" :P

Hahahaha, i'm thinking of setting it up in my car to be it's media player. I'll wire in some power!

When a decent Meego release comes out i'll through that onto it too.

I just can't afford to have a phone that's not reliable/dependable for the basics, ie calls and texts. My N900 just does some crazy stuff the odd time. Like not ringing when someone calls, and sending it straight to voicemail. And then, my text message tones not playing when i want them too.

I will admit that the above will only happen once or twice a week, but still it's just too much. I reflashed about a month ago and the problem came back, I dont even have many apps installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's funny, I still have my N900 (now used as home skype phone/email/meadia plasyer) a SamSung Galaxy S, a Dell Streak 5 and Nokia C7. I'm looking at the new sgs 2 with it's 2 core goodness and would sell all the above BUT not my N900! I don't think you will ever get anything of it's likes ever again and I'm never parting with mine!

Hahahaha, i'm thinking of setting it up in my car to be it's media player. I'll wire in some power!

When a decent Meego release comes out i'll through that onto it too.

I just can't afford to have a phone that's not reliable/dependable for the basics, ie calls and texts. My N900 just does some crazy stuff the odd time. Like not ringing when someone calls, and sending it straight to voicemail. And then, my text message tones not playing when i want them too.

I'm in the same boat, much as I like it, I'm tired of putting up with the n900s crazy bullsh*t. I need some stability and long term commitment from a phone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

god's toy wrote: »
    It's funny, I still have my N900 (now used as home skype phone/email/meadia plasyer) a SamSung Galaxy S, a Dell Streak 5 and Nokia C7. I'm looking at the new sgs 2 with it's 2 core goodness and would sell all the above BUT not my N900! I don't think you will ever get anything of it's likes ever again and I'm never parting with mine!

I couldn't agree more. It isn't the best phone ever; its phone capabilities do feel a little bolted-on. But as a pocket-size computer, there's just nothing else like it out there, and may never be again.
    I...I'm just at the stage where I want a change, for no real reason except wanting to use android and being a bit bored.

Have you tried installing Android on the N900?

Doubt.It wrote: »

Yeah i had android on mine for a while. But some mad stuff started to happen with the boot loader so i had to remove it!

Now that i have another device for a phone, i may through it back on, since i don't need to rely on my N900 for a phone any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Interesting note, the new version of ASUS's EeePC, the x101, will be running MeeGo. So the platform may not be dead after all...

Can somebody please explain the steps involved in changing the kernel power thingamajig. Looking in app manager it's saying the enhanced power application is obsolete. Just the basic steps to set it to 850 and so it stays at that at a reboot I'd really appreciate it, thanks very much.

Once you set the limits in the terminal, you should be able to use the
    kernel-config default

to set it as default.

• Advertisement

I don't know of any shops. But there's plenty of sellers on ebay? It'll take a few days to arrive. But still.

Well lads, i just took the plunge on a lg optimus 7. Possibly the weirdest choice of OS considering i've been a maemo user for a year and a half almost!

It was a complete impulse buy, if I don't like it i'll sell it on.

I'll still use my N900!

I can't believe you got a WP7 :eek: I'd give it a week and we'll see you back here :P Best of luck!

Doubt.It wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. It isn't the best phone ever; its phone capabilities do feel a little bolted-on. But as a pocket-size computer, there's just nothing else like it out there, and may never be again.

I tried NITDroid a while back but to be honest even if it was completed, using Android on the N900 would be the worst of both worlds, you'd get a better experience on a cheap handset designed for it.

I can't believe you got a WP7 :eek: I'd give it a week and we'll see you back here :P Best of luck!

I know i know! It's a crazy change. But the device was a bargain. And i have to say i'm really enjoying it. The UI is super slick, the battery life is similar to the N900, and it does everything well.

The browser isn't as good, but it does load faster, it just struggles with the formatting of certain pages.

And of course, i've gone from 40GB of storage to 16GB, so that annoys the hell out of me. But it should be enough.

I was just way too pissed off with the N900's bullshiit. I've started a new job, which definitely needs a phone that's reliable, and gives access to my mails. And the WP7 OS does this flawlessly.

Once you set the limits in the terminal, you should be able to use the
    kernel-config default

to set it as default.

The limits in the what now? I have got nowhere yet. I need it spelled out from the start please.

The limits in the what now? I have got nowhere yet. I need it spelled out from the start please.

Hi checkout the docs here http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power

I used the 'ideal' undervolting settings which set min/max clockspeed to 500/850MHz. This results in improved battery usage due to under volting, faster responsiveness due to higher initial clockspeed (avoid needing to ramp up from the default 250MHz) and increases the max from 600MHz to 850MHz. It is called 'ideal' because it is considered to be a good compromise between battery life and performance.

sudo kernel-config load ideal
    sudo kernel-config default ideal

I don't understand any of that, hence asking for a simple list of steps without all the jargon.

like:

1. Install such and such from
    2. Reboot
    3. Set X to Y
    4. Etc

would be really appreciated thanks.

I don't understand any of that, hence asking for a simple list of steps without all the jargon.

like:

1. Install such and such from
    2. Reboot
    3. Set X to Y
    4. Etc

would be really appreciated thanks.

1. Install Kernel Power
    http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#Installation_of_the_stable_kernel_from_extras
    2. Install kernel-power-settings and kernel-power-flasher
    3. Install Rootsh if you don't have it
    4. Reboot
    5. Open shell and run 'sudo kernel-config load ideal'
    6. To make settings permanent run 'sudo kernel-config default ideal'

Cheers mate. Now how can I check to see if it's working properly? Is there somewhere to view the settings?

Oh, my camera has stopped working, great.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate. Now how can I check to see if it's working properly? Is there somewhere to view the settings?

Sure, from the shell execute 'sudo kernel-config show'

Advertisement