Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Don't read anything into UK bundle pricing, they get incredible deals compared to what we get here so don't torture yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Good news, Nokia have started to ship the N900 - http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/nokia-n900-is-finally-shipping/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

foobar wrote: »
    Good news, Nokia have started to ship the N900 - http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/nokia-n900-is-finally-shipping/

I was just about to post that. More links with confirmation http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/11/10/nokia-n900-begins-shipping/

I'm going to email amazon see if they have any update on their date

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Incompatible with 3 sim cards in UK, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark and Austria until a software update hits sometime later this year.Weird......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Incompatible with 3 sim cards in UK, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark and Austria until a software update hits sometime later this year.Weird......

ah nuts! Hope that update comes soon.:(

"although it won’t initially be available on new 3G SIM cards from 3 in the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark and Austria"
    Edit: Have 3 changed the SIM's they use in the last two years??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Wtf? That's.......very irritating. At this stage I might just abandon the whole thing. Amazon delivery estimated Dec 2nd. How much later in the year can you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Jim wrote: »
    Wtf? That's.......very irritating. At this stage I might just abandon the whole thing. Amazon delivery estimated Dec 2nd. How much later in the year can you get!

december 31st?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well that sucks. Luckily I won't be buying one of these till next year probably. As much as I want one I can't justify spending this much on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well that sucks. Luckily I won't be buying one of these till next year probably. As much as I want one I can't justify spending this much on a phone.

+1, i'll be holding off for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

This can be used with your ps3 and laptop on a network, so you can watch movies from your laptop and ps3 on your phone, that is a massive step up which is not possible on symbian.

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »

Well Nokia only announced shipping to suppliers today, so give amazon a couple of days to see if they update their date to reflect this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    This can be used with your ps3 and laptop on a network, so you can watch movies from your laptop and ps3 on your phone, that is a massive step up which is not possible on symbian.
    Aaawwww! Stop making me want to buy this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bren32

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

But if you're on the same network as your PS3 or laptop, and therefore presumably quite close to them, why would you want to watch a movie on a 3.5" screen?

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the N900, but that feature seems a bit pointless. Maybe I'm missing something.

Breezer wrote: »
    But if you're on the same network as your PS3 or laptop, and therefore presumably quite close to them, why would you want to watch a movie on a 3.5" screen?

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the N900, but that feature seems a bit pointless. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Lying in bed hungover and you want to watch the latest episode of south park and the ps3/laptop is just too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Lying in bed hungover and you want to watch the latest episode of south park and the ps3/laptop is just too far away.
    See this is what I miss out on by not drinking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I went ahead and cancelled my order. I decided it's too expensive an item to get without first seeing it.
    I'd like to see one in the flesh first I think. The size[of the phone] and screen are two concerns of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Regarding the 3 sim cards, apparently its only "new" 3 sim cards. Wonder how new they have to be. I got mine at the start of the year so hopefully it'll work off the bat.

Breezer wrote: »
    See this is what I miss out on by not drinking :p

But on a network, it's not just video, you can access all your music files on your laptop/ps3, while on the phone, meaning, if you've got a 500gb harddrive on your laptop, somewhere accessible to the network, then you have, one of the largest mp3 players ever.

jus sayin, it's a handy old idea when you think about it.

i also know a few people who would take laptop into college or work, plug it in, and then watch movies off the laptop through their phone, making it less obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

also with tv out capability of the n900 it could double as a media player for any room in the house ie dlownload a movie on your pc and instead of having to convert and/or burn to disc play it across network to your n900 to a tv in a diff room. Or use same music collection for playing music in multiple rooms for a party.

• Advertisement

also with tv out capability of the n900 it could double as a media player for any room in the house ie dlownload a movie on your pc and instead of having to convert and/or burn to disc play it across network to your n900 to a tv in a diff room. Or use same music collection for playing music in multiple rooms for a party.

Yeah but that's nothing groundbreaking i don't think.. i think the 5800 tv out aswell didn't it??

But the rest of your post is exactly why this is awesome, it's a mindbogglingly cool little tool to have on the phone.

Yeah but that's nothing groundbreaking i don't think.. i think the 5800 tv out aswell didn't it??

But the rest of your post is exactly why this is awesome, it's a mindbogglingly cool little tool to have on the phone.

TV out has been on most N Series devices since around the N95 but from my experience t wasn't great for playing videos to the TV, but from looking at youtube clips from the N900 it seems like a huge improvement not least because of the extra codec support.

matrim wrote: »
    TV out has been on most N Series devices since around the N95 but from my experience t wasn't great for playing videos to the TV, but from looking at youtube clips from the N900 it seems like a huge improvement not least because of the extra codec support.

Sounds good... would love to see N900 in action, if they'd hurry up and get em here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Hi guys,

Email from Nokia "Nokia N900 is now available and shipping" :)

"Starting today, our high-performance mobile computer is shipping to premium retailers worldwide. You can order it immediately from your local
    Nokia Online store. "

Looks like it wont be long now before it hits the stores. Here you can get it sim free for £499

Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Anyone know why Nokia don't have an Irish online store?

I've always been curious...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

That page says "Pre-order".

Gekko wrote: »
    Anyone know why Nokia don't have an Irish online store?

I've always been curious...

My guess would be they don't think there is enough demand here from people who want to buy SIM free phones.

Athough it would be nice if they allowed it or at least allowed the UK one to deliver to Ireland.

matrim wrote: »
    My guess would be they don't think there is enough demand here from people who want to buy SIM free phones.

Athough it would be nice if they allowed it or at least allowed the UK one to deliver to Ireland.

Yeah, that'd be sweet, but it's a bit crap the way they wont.. last time i ordered one i got it sent to my cousins and flew over to collect it during my nicely timed holiday!

Damn Amazon and their weekly special mail. Everytime I get one I get my hopes up that it's news on my N900 order :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Im sick of people moaning on this thread about this that an the other as to why they cant order their phone. Would yous stop acting like spoiled kids.

It will be ready when its ready an be in the shops soon enough have abit of patience an stop bloody moaning.

Advertisement