Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Im sick of people moaning on this thread about this that an the other as to why they cant order their phone. Would yous stop acting like spoiled kids.

It will be ready when its ready an be in the shops soon enough have abit of patience an stop bloody moaning.

I've been one of the most patient people here, and i'm not complaining about the delay itself. I'm just looking forward to it and hoping it happens soon

Was surprised to see this so soon but looks like a great messenger program for the n900, with webcam features too!
    http://www.amsn-project.net/maemo-downloads.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Was surprised to see this so soon but looks like a great messenger program for the n900, with webcam features too!
    http://www.amsn-project.net/maemo-downloads.php

That's possible with the 5800, using the SmartCam App.

And, Nimbuzz i think is the best messenger prog out there for any phone, lets you use SIP, skype, facebook messenger, msn, aim, yahoo, googletalk i think, it's got alot on it, very handy indeed i find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Im sick of people moaning on this thread about this that an the other as to why they cant order their phone. Would yous stop acting like spoiled kids.

It will be ready when its ready an be in the shops soon enough have abit of patience an stop bloody moaning.
    sorry mum. :(

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    That's possible with the 5800, using the SmartCam App.

And, Nimbuzz i think is the best messenger prog out there for any phone, lets you use SIP, skype, facebook messenger, msn, aim, yahoo, googletalk i think, it's got alot on it, very handy indeed i find it.

Given that the N900 is going to have IM build into the actual phone that can support all those I think there might be little need for those kind of apps. Although if they add something extra (like video) people will end up using them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

But the app Nimbuzz keeps them all on one little window which is very handy, if the N900 does it then thats pretty sweet aswell...

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    But the app Nimbuzz keeps them all on one little window which is very handy, if the N900 does it then thats pretty sweet aswell...

It's seems to be seperate windows per chat but it's all integrated into your normal contacts and inbox etc, the same way as calling to VoIP is integrated into the phone.

It looks like Skype, SIP, Google Talk, Jabber and Ovi are supported out of the box, with MSN, Yahoo, IRC and others being available by plugins from the community

check out this video from about 7 minutes in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

matrim wrote: »
    It's seems to be seperate windows per chat but it's all integrated into your normal contacts and inbox etc, the same way as calling to VoIP is integrated into the phone.

It looks like Skype, SIP, Google Talk, Jabber and Ovi are supported out of the box, with MSN, Yahoo, IRC and others being available by plugins from the community

check out this video from about 7 minutes in

I'm pretty sure that's Jeff Goldblum showing off his N900!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Can anyone tell me if this thing is actually for sale? I've seen articles saying it is, but Nokia.co.uk doesn't seem to be selling it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

They shipped them to the stores from what I read but I dont think end buyers are getting them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anyone found any reviews of the retail n900 yet? All the ones Iv read are based on prototypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Maemo SDK w/ Emulator (for linux) here for those of us who can't wait to get a hands on feel for Maemo 5.

Expansys.com have gone from an expected availability of 2 days, to "Due Wednesday 2nd December". :confused:

Phonesonline.ie have been showing "COMING SOON. Estimated 7 days" for the past 4 or 5 days. I've pre-ordered with phonesonline.ie, hopefully won't be waiting until into December for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Ahhhh Christ! Pushed back to start Dec, what the F are they playing at? I'm totally fed up with this now. If Nokia shipped to retailers last weekend why would it take another 2 weeks to put them on sale? I'll basically just go now with whoever puts it on sale first. **** Expansys.

Amazon have been saying Dec for a few weeks now so I'm use to it.

god's toy wrote: »
    Amazon have been saying Dec for a few weeks now so I'm use to it.

My amazon order has been on dispatch estimate 29th - 30th, delivery 2nd - 3rd for a while now. Which I hope is them just being cautious and that it get's out earlier.

Nokia shipped from the factory on the 9th, so giving 2 weeks to get to the retailer is 23rd. So hopefully it ships next week

Ahhhh Christ! Pushed back to start Dec, what the F are they playing at? I'm totally fed up with this now. If Nokia shipped to retailers last weekend why would it take another 2 weeks to put them on sale? I'll basically just go now with whoever puts it on sale first. **** Expansys.
    expansys can only ship it when they get it in stock and they only get it in stock when the manufacturer ships it. surely you mean **** nokia?

they mailed me to let me know my n97 was in stock as soon as they had it and shipped it 2 days before the official launch and i had it in my hands the day before it was for sale in the flagship Nokia store in London.

if they are holding off on shipping it it's because they either don't have it or nokia have told them not to.

if nokia aren't shipping it, it's because they don't think it's ready to go out yet. the n97 came out too early and suffered badly because of that, so i doubt nokia wants to make the same mistake again. it'll be ready when it's ready, be that now, next week, next month or next year.

if you can't cope with that then the apple store is that way ->

:D

i was expecting someone to say "yes mum" like i did to someone who posted something similar the other day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

vibe666 wrote: »
    i was expecting someone to say "yes mum" like i did to someone who posted something similar the other day. :D

yes mum!!!

too late:cool:

got this email from expansys today.
    Expansys wrote:
    Hello
    The stock is due to arrive in our warehouse on the 30/11/09. We will have your order shipped as soon as the stock arrives. Sorry for the delay.
    Regards
    eXpansys

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Nokia plan to drop Symbian from the entire ‘top end’ N-Series range -
    http://thereallymobileproject.com/2009/11/nokia-dropping-symbian-from-n-series-by-2012/

So i think we can expect lots more Maemo devices in the future .. nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

foobar wrote: »
    http://thereallymobileproject.com/2009/11/nokia-dropping-symbian-from-n-series-by-2012/

Guess it's a good thing. I've been a huge fan of most of their E-series devices, esp'ly e61 and e71. But the N-series alway felt like ...well, wrong. I liked the N95s but the fact that they can still comfortably compete with the n97 except for touch speaks volumes.

Nevertheless, eyecandy aside, s60 is a good operating system. Most other OS need twice the processor speed and ram to multitask as well as the e71 (my 3 1/2 yr old e61 multitasks better than any non e-series phone I tried since. No, pretty it aint, but it works).

foobar wrote: »

I think this has basically been know for a while now. My understanding from what I read a while ago is that maemo is going to for new top of the line phones, S60 becomes the more generic phone OS and S40 is probably going to get retired.
    I also think all the symbinan OS names are going to get changed with the open sourcing of them.

my problem now is that although the early looks at the n900 were blowing everyone away and it was being touted as an iphone killer, the more recent reviews have been a bit 'meh'.

not that it looks like a bad phone, because it doesn't. it's just not blowing my skirt up like it was originally now that i've seen a lot more details come out about it and some reviews.

i rushed out and bought the n97 the very second it was available and looking back, that was a mistake on my part and i'm just worried if i rush out for the n900 i'll be making the same mistake all over again.

dammit, i really want it though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Here is a good article(the beginning) about Maemo and it's positioning in the market for the next couple of years.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-rx51-n900-en.shtml

IMO.

Low end - S40
    Mid range - S60
    High end - Maemo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

my problem now is that although the early looks at the n900 were blowing everyone away and it was being touted as an iphone killer, the more recent reviews have been a bit 'meh'.

not that it looks like a bad phone, because it doesn't. it's just not blowing my skirt up like it was originally now that i've seen a lot more details come out about it and some reviews.

i rushed out and bought the n97 the very second it was available and looking back, that was a mistake on my part and i'm just worried if i rush out for the n900 i'll be making the same mistake all over again.

You're right in terms of the wow factor of the N900, but I think the review's that are coming back are "meh" because its a very basic and raw OS because its so new, and may not live up to the imaginations of the reviewers. The possibilities for the OS are huge though, that's its selling point really.

And as was said its going to become the main OS for Nokia's top phones so they will be investing time and money into updating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It did the same thing with the N800.
    Some a few years old it is STILL buggy as hell.

Jim wrote: »
    You're right in terms of the wow factor of the N900, but I think the review's that are coming back are "meh" because its a very basic and raw OS because its so new, and may not live up to the imaginations of the reviewers. The possibilities for the OS are huge though, that's its selling point really.

And as was said its going to become the main OS for Nokia's top phones so they will be investing time and money into updating it.

N900 now shipping to consumers in the states. linky
    Shouldn't be much longer of a wait for us Euro-folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

got this email from expansys today.

Originally Posted by Expansys
    Hello
    The stock is due to arrive in our warehouse on the 30/11/09. We will have your order shipped as soon as the stock arrives. Sorry for the delay.
    Regards
    eXpansys
    ____

Never got this email myself and I have a preorder with Expansys. Might just email them to be sure.

This vid is claiming to be a Retail N900...

• Advertisement

People in Italy and France are reporting that they are getting their order confirmations and shipping information.

Also apparently Nokia shops in the USA now have them in stock too, so hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer

Advertisement